• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 clutch problems..

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
I went out to cooke city over thanksgiving and believe i was having issues with my secondary. Im running the slp pipe set and went with the springs that were recommend. Black purple in secondary and blue/pink in primary. When going down the mountain after a climb and tapping the break it sounds to me as if the secondary is ratcheting. Some of you may say thats normal but I assure this is not. Only happens down hill and sometimes happens when im not even touching the break going down hill. My track i believe has locked up on me down hill as well after touching the break. I brought it to the gas station dealer exon in cooke and he changed out the primary back to stock for me. That helped a little bit. He took the secondary apart and said that was fine. I would of put the stock spring back in the secondary if i had had it. The spring he would of sold me would of been the one i already had in the secondary and is close to stock anyways. I have the sled home now and installed the stock secondary spring back and I guess I will see what happens.. I doubt the dealer will be able to tell if anything is wrong as they'd need a hill to go down. Thats why im asking you fellas... My track does hang 3/4 of inch sag with no weight on it. I fell like thats definitely to loose. Could that of caused this issue?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Too loose, track was ratcheting. Should be tightened to spec. 1/2-3/8" with 10lbs hanging 16" from rear idler i think is the spec, Atleast it was for the older pros.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
How many miles on your sled at the time?

Read your owner's manual about QD break in and the sound made by the drive system during this time. My 17 made same noise when braking, would make you pucker up wondering wtf was that?! After 100 miles pretty much stopped.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Are you positive it isn’t catching or trying to catch the reverse notch? Down hill braking along with the track driving the secondary on descents can cause it.

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
How many miles on your sled at the time?

Read your owner's manual about QD break in and the sound made by the drive system during this time. My 17 made same noise when braking, would make you pucker up wondering wtf was that?! After 100 miles pretty much stopped.

180 miles on this sled. Owned a 16 axys never heard this nasty noise before. All my buddies are on a axys to and have never heard this before. You can hear it from 75 to 100 yards away if your sled is off.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Make sure your secondary is adjusted correctly
Make sure your secondary c-clip is still clipped
Make sure secondary spring is not broke

Sometimes a too soft of a spring in a steep helix will also cause it to slip into the reverse angle

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
the loose track got my vote I hade to keep that thing guitar string tight or it would ratchet like crazy and it never hade 3/4 of an inch sag. avid drivers took care of that problem! I never liked how tight I hade to run the track seemed hard on bearings and like it added un needed friction.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
New tracks need to be adjusted after every ride for the first few IMO.

Also, as Tethair said... adjust your chain tension if you have a chain... these are often not done well from the factory as well as adjusting it again after about 10 rides and then at least once every season. Check oil level also. Easy to do.

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Sled is belt drive so i don't have to worry about that. I will tighten my track up and see what happens. Good thing the U.P got snow ill test it out this coming weekend. Thanks for all the help guys.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
My 17 axys made all sorts of gross "grinding" funky noises from the secondary area on downhills, especially when i would get on the brake when i first got it. Everything seemed to settle out once I put more time on it. Sounded like I was hitting the brake without brake pads. But all sorta just went away somehow given a little time. I looked around on it but never found anything.

Premium Features