• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 700 Problems need help!

R
Nov 26, 2007
Boise, ID
This is becoming to common to have to post problems every couple of rides:mad:
2002 700RMK proted, Union Bay Head,VIII Reeds, SLP Twin Pipes. Premix.
Riding 6-9'

So I recently had the PTO crank bearings replaced, one ride and it seems to be fine. Went riding again this last weekend and about 30 minutes into the ride I start to here a weird noise which seems to be coming from the motor. Hard to explain what it sounded like but sort of a wheezing...or like when you are going down hill and not given it throttle. I can hear it as I'm milking the throttle which seems to be worse with more and less when not given it throttle then it just died. That kind of die when you say yeah I just burned her down.
It started back up but instead of riding it we just towed it out hoping to not cause more damage.
I took it apart last night and found the mag piston not in that great of shape and I'm thinking that’s it, but I took the pistons and the jugs into the dealer and they said NOPE! Piston isn't in great shape but not enough to be the problem. The crank seems to be fine, total free motion can't feel any drag at all.
So now I'm at a loss of what’s going on, does anyone have any idea at all of what else it could be? Sorry for such a long post

I really don't know what else to look for so any suggestions on where I should look for the problem is greatly appreciated!

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
Boy I know how you feel. I had the same thing happen. Twice. I believe that you have a crank bearing seizing and when it cools down it will turn again. Last spring I lost the pto bearings so I replaced them with a double wide bearing and put it back together. 2 rides this winter and I lost the same bearings again. The small bearing failed. I was also premixing. When I rebuilt after the second failure I put all new bearings in and reinstalled the oil pump. After 3 rides still running strong. The key to this however is I made sure all the bearings were C4 rather that C3. The C4 bearings have more room for the balls to move around and have less chance of to have problems when hot. This is especially important in the mountains. There was a great post on the old forums by Indy Dan about this and this is what I followed. I also think it is a good idea to run the oil pump because it ensures oil is pumped directly onto the crank bearings.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
R
Nov 26, 2007
Boise, ID
Thanks Sod. So you think that it is still a crank bearing? I was wondering that to because when it went the 1st time it died then I let it sit for a while and it seem to run fine after that for about 10 minutes:(. Now I wish I would have rode it to the death instead of towing it out so soon, at least I would be sure of the problem. When i had the bearing replaced we also had an extra hole drilled into the case so i'm sure its getting oil.
Thanks again Sod. Keep um coming

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
Both times my crank seized if I let it sit for a minute or two it would run again. You were smart to drag it out so you did not do any further damage.

I also had the extra hole drilled on the pto side, but I still had bearing failure.

The drip bottle is another way to get lube to the crank bearings. IMHO you are best off to do oil injection.

Good luck.

Premium Features