• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 sks cracked rail, weldable? Aftermarket options?

M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
Right hand rail is cracked behind the shaft of the front arms. The bottom of the rail seems ok but the top triangle part is cracked. Is this type of aluminum?weldable?? I see ice age as an aftermarket option. Any others? New black rail from Polaris is 640$ a little pricey. Not sure I can load a pic. TIA
Mo.

A99BBFBF-53AE-4991-9B27-9C9F27B1C295.jpg

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
yes you can weld it but don't expect it to last long. I would add a stiffener if i were to weld it.

one more option for you, get a used rail. New stock rails are the price of ice age, no point in buying new stock ones

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Welding heat treated alum doesnt work. It breaks right around the weld.

Really no reason to not go iceage as mentioned, cheaper for a kit then single beams from the factory, stronger, and a warranty.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
7129T-5 Aluminum does not weld very well... sure, you can melt it together...but it won't hold up.

You could make a pattern, cut it out in some 3/16' 6061 T-6 ... one for each side and bond it with the Lord Adhesive.

Or just buy a new pair of Ice Age rails.... get a pair of Arctic cat 8" wheels and you will have a stronger set of rails... and be into them for less than one rail from the factory.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Its an ally issue not a heat treat issue, FWIW

Welding heat treated alum doesnt work. It breaks right around the weld.

You are misinformed. The difference here is the alloy (7000 series non weldable). Weldability has nothing to do with heat treated or non heat treated, it is an alloy issue. FWIW

Premium Features