• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

checking/adjusting TPS, how to?

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I did some searching and didn't come up with any great info. How can I check that my tps is within spec? I am experiencing a high idle condition after installing a turbo and what to check it out.

Any help is very much appreciated.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
there are a number of threads on here. you need to buy/build a tps tester first off. review this thread http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287858

the test.....

remove 4 nuts on clutch cover, move out of the way to be able to get to tps.

then you test to see if you are getting 5v to the tps. i stuck the bare end of some 22 ga wire into the front (pink) lead of the tps plug, attach the red test lead from multi meter to it (have everything plugged in as normal at this point) start the sled and check you get 5v (i grounded the other multimeter lead to the steer post)

now attach your tps tester. remove the silencer from the exhaust, give you access to the idle screw. loosen locking nut and back the screw off so it is no longer touching the throttle linkage. snap the throttle a few times to make sure you are getting the same reading from the tps on your multimeter. you want to see .69-.71, shoot for exactly .700. loosen the two screws on the tps and twist it as need to adjust to desired reading. tighten screws once set to .70. now go back to idle screw and screw back in until you see .930. now tighten lock nut ( i set mine to about .923, then when tightening lock nut it went up to .930). thats it. reassemble silencer, and clutch cover.

further info....
the nut on the idle screw is 8mm. i used a small ratchet and socket, worked like a champ. also i think the allen required to adjust the idle screw is a 2.5mm, not 100% sure on that. i used one of my park tools allens...from my bike stuff. worked well because it has one of those "round" ends allowing it to work from an angle.

Last edited:
A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
DIY Power Supply

I went a different route and used an ATX Computer Power Supply to get my 5.5vdc and 12 vdc.....

Easy DIY Power Supply instructions on the web, basically all you have to do for a switch mode Power Supply is jump two specific pins on the main 24 Pin Block, outside of that it's elementary...make a harness, match polarity, and go.

I also used both a digital and analog mulitmeter........

Would it be better to check throttle cable slack before or after adjusting the TPS?

IMAG0194.jpg IMAG0198.jpg IMAG0208.jpg IMAG0209.jpg IMAG0214.jpg IMAG0215.jpg

Premium Features