• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Blood

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am new to the forum and only a couple years into sledding. My wife and kids have fallen in love with the sport. We bought some old sleds. This is our line up.

95 Arctic Cat EXT Powder Special 580 (mine)
95 Arctic Cat Cougar Mountain Cat 550 (wifes)
88 Polaris Indy Trail 340 (kids)
80 Polaris TXC 340 (kids)
80 Polaris Apollo 340 under construction (kids)

So you can see we are running old stuff and dreaming of new sleds.

Im sure I will need some parts and advice along the way so see you around the forums

Thanks
Clayton

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Welcome to the sport.
Stand by to forget about any other hobby you might have had. lol

It's actually a good idea to start on an older sled. you won't mind as much when you wreck (notice I didn't say "IF") and it will make you a better rider when you get newer machines.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Welcome to Brokeville.
Now all your spending (and them some) cash will go to mods and all your vacation time and money will go to snowmobiling trips.
But it's worth it.

Make sure you join your local club and some of the organizations in my sig.
If tree huggers didn't pizz you off before they will soon.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Welcome and join local club for group rides.

I learned the most from riding with experienced riders.

You can pic up a couple things from the videos but actually riding is the best.

O
Jan 14, 2008
MN
Welcome to the forum, has lots of great information and you can spend all your spare not riding time reading on here...

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Welcome to Brokeville.
Now all your spending (and them some) cash will go to mods and all your vacation time and money will go to snowmobiling trips.
But it's worth it.

Make sure you join your local club and some of the organizations in my sig.
If tree huggers didn't pizz you off before they will soon.

I am on it. I am already active with land use issues. I have a Jeep and have been fighting for the cause for awhile now. Of course the jeep has sat in the garage and isn't licensed this year... Now snowmobiles are taking over. I am totally enjoying it. It helps last winter was amazing.

My kids are young and we have sleds for them. Is there age laws in Montana that limit them driving? We spend most of our time on Forest service land but I want to be legal also.

Thanks

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Welcome, and it's a wonderful hobby, and very addicting, but well worth it. I jeep as well, (like you, its been a while) and I haven't seen any other hobby that can be so family friendly, while still giving those adrenaline junkies all they can handle.

there are lots of opinions on here, and don't be afraid to ask. Just like with the Jeeps, there are usually several 'right' answers to most questions or challenges, and lots of wisdom and experience available to you.

Davy

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Is there age laws in Montana that limit them driving? We spend most of our time on Forest service land but I want to be legal also.

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of any age laws in Montana. I ride with a guy that brings his 14 year old daughter along all the time. We have had stickers checked many times but the fish cops have never asked about her age. I think the kids are good to go. Where in Montana are you?

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
What part of Montana are you from? Just wondering where you plan to ride? I"m from Great Falls and ride mostly Kings Hill. Excellent all-round riding area.

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
Welcome

Good to hear you are bringing the family along. I have been riding with my wife and kids for 25 years. Sledding is still at the top of our time together. My boys are 23 and 25 and we have a blast riding together. Getting to the point where it is more fun to watch them try stuff than doing it myself!!

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
I am in the Bozeman area. We hit Little Bear alot and also go to the Bridgers. We did take a couple of long weekends to West Yellowstone. That was great fun and we didn't even think of going into the Park. We have a thirteen year old daughter and 7 year old triplets. This will be the first year of riding for them. We tried it out on the last time out and they did great. oh and don't forget the sled for the dog who loves winter and hates summers and I'm with her these days. The boys already said when they can drive they will just take the truck and the trailer and head to the hills while I'm at work... uggg

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
welcome, my 10 yr old boy has been on 4 rides a year with us and this is his 3rd year, we visit with the rangers in the lot all the time and nothin has ever been brought up, x2 on the access issues

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
holy **** triplets that will be expensive when you go to buy the 3 new mountian sleds

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
Welcome aboard. Dont let all the boost and gig bore addicts scare ya. You can still have a GREAT time in the Mnts...Provided ya got mad skills:face-icon-small-win Ya might wanna try to get the fam used to daddy needs a trip or two to tune. Dont get me wrong I love my family, and have even exposed the to some of the unsavory types on here with only a few raised eyebrows. But trust me there will be days when trying to save your own bacon will be all you can think about...I love those days, How much snow ya got?:devil:

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
It is great to see a new FAMILY starting to ride. Enjoy going out with them all. I find that my 9 year old is not all that excited about anything over 2 hours. I have to realize that she is only going to enjoy a short day and plan for that.

It can be quite a challenge to get ready to go. Make sure you start out making each kid keep their clothes together in a plastic tub or gear bag, so they don't forget things and your preparation will be easier.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
holy **** triplets that will be expensive when you go to buy the 3 new mountian sleds

lol...did that this winter..all 08's..dragon 800 163, rmk 600 ho 155, and a trail rmk...was just shy of 26000 with no extra's:eek:.

Premium Features