• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pinedale

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Anyone know when they will start grooming from Sherman(horse creek) parking lot up to blind bull?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
There will be no grooming of that trail this winter at least as I understand it. The problem is that there was a very large landslide last spring that wiped the road/trail out, and they can't get the groomer through. I know that there were a lot folks trying to get the USFS to commit to allowing an alternative route just for this season, but so far I don't believe there has been any progress made.

I know a lot of folks were trying to get the USFS to commit to fixing it next summer as well, but its going to take heavy equipment and $$$ to fix it, so naturally the USFS is going to delay doing anything as long as they can....

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was never fixed ....

But, good way to convince the USFS to do things like fix trails that have landslides destroy them is to joil your local club, join WSSA, etc :)

https://buckrail.com/popular-road-in-the-greys-closed-due-to-landslide/

JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Blind Bull Road is closed until further notice. That’s the word from the Greys River Ranger District of the Bridger-Teton National Forest.

Blind Bull road (Forest Service Road 10123) will be closed to the public at mile marker 2 the week of September 5 due to a landslide.

Between June 4 and 6, 2017 a large landslide took out a portion of the Blind Bull road making it impassable. An emergency closure was put in place while an assessment of the damage was completed. Initially an emergency repair was being considered, however after multiple assessments completed by forest engineers and partner entities, the landslide was determined to be highly unstable.

“Safety is a major concern and the Forest Service will reassess the stability of the area next year with hopes to repair the road,” said Justin Laycock, Greys River District Ranger.

The closure point on the road at mile-2 was selected as the best and safest place to turn around or park a vehicle. Blind Bull road serves as important access to the public during summer and winter months.

“Public access is an important aspect of the Forest Service mission and we will continue with efforts to restore this access as conditions allow,” said Laycock.

For more information please contact the Greys River Ranger District at 307-886-5300.

IDK, maybe they will fix it *shrug*

Last edited:

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
It's the Greys river to Blind Bull warming hut that won't be groomed. The Horse Creek side to will still be groomed, just don't know when they'll start. Not enough snow down low yet.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It's the Greys river to Blind Bull warming hut that won't be groomed. The Horse Creek side to will still be groomed, just don't know when they'll start. Not enough snow down low yet.

Cool, I didn't even think they were gonna do that this year ...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I rode out of horse creek today. When we got back to the truck at 4:00 the groomer was just leaving the parking lot to head up and groom! Ride in tomorrow will be nice and smooth!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I rode out of horse creek today. When we got back to the truck at 4:00 the groomer was just leaving the parking lot to head up and groom! Ride in tomorrow will be nice and smooth!

I heard it was a mudhole up there today :face-icon-small-con

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It was a mud hole if you parked in the Sherman parking lot. Pretty much from the bridge to the parking lot was mud. I number of us drove down the trail a mile or two and parked where there e was still snow on the trail. Sleds came back clean, but the truck and trailer were a mess. The trail was not groomed. Looked like the groomer only drove down the trail a little ways and turned around and went back to the parking lot. The trail was a bumpy frozen mess.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It was a mud hole if you parked in the Sherman parking lot. Pretty much from the bridge to the parking lot was mud. I number of us drove down the trail a mile or two and parked where there e was still snow on the trail. Sleds came back clean, but the truck and trailer were a mess. The trail was not groomed. Looked like the groomer only drove down the trail a little ways and turned around and went back to the parking lot. The trail was a bumpy frozen mess.

Yeah I decided to not even bother with it today lol ... did some setup work on the new sled, I'll take it out for some break-in miles next weekend.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
So???

Gents, thanks for this info!
We were thinking of hitting Pinedale this winter, and riding out of Daniel a few days would be part of that.

If I follow correctly, they'll groom out of Sherman, but not through to where H splits off... I see on the 2017/18 map that about half way in from Sherman there is a "limited grooming possible" marker...

Hopefully there will be no problem getting around this spot, and they'll groom from both directions...

I'll keep watching this thread to see what comes of it.
I see Blind Bull is at 37" already. We have nothing here in SW CO, and I think it's supposed to be a warm dry winter for us. :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Gents, thanks for this info!
We were thinking of hitting Pinedale this winter, and riding out of Daniel a few days would be part of that.

If I follow correctly, they'll groom out of Sherman, but not through to where H splits off... I see on the 2017/18 map that about half way in from Sherman there is a "limited grooming possible" marker...

Hopefully there will be no problem getting around this spot, and they'll groom from both directions...

I'll keep watching this thread to see what comes of it.
I see Blind Bull is at 37" already. We have nothing here in SW CO, and I think it's supposed to be a warm dry winter for us. :(

I wouldn't expect anything even remotely like what we had last winter this winter .... A winter like 2017 only happens about once every 6 or 7 years it seems. Its been 40+ degrees here the last two weeks, and there isn't any real new snow in the foreseeable forecast :face-icon-small-fro

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so here are pictures of the landslide ... Today was the first time I'd seen it.

Short story - Its huge. Gonna take some serious work to fix it, which the USFS won't do unless Trump pretty well specifically tells them to.

So anyways ...

This first pic is taken from the Warming Hut (Pinedale) side of the chasm that opened up ... looking to the right.

20171210_121516-X2.jpg

Now looking to the 'middle'

20171210_121542-X2.jpg

Now, looking where to where the road/trail used to be...

20171210_121539-X2.jpg

20171210_121523-X2.jpg

20171210_121521-X2.jpg

So .... Yeah, there is probably 200 yards of trail/road thats gone now. That chasm is really big.

Once there is 4' of snow on the ground you will still be able to get across on a snowmobile, but no chance a groomer will get through that.

Right now they are grooming as far as they can towards the hut from the Pinedale side, but due to hills its pretty limited. Its very likely the trail to the warming hut from the Pinedale side will not be able to be groomed this year.

However...There is some hope. Thank god we don't have Hillary Clinton in office.

Saw this on CNN today -

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/10/politics/alaska-izembek-road-zinke-invs/index.html

Cold Bay, Alaska (CNN)Far down the Alaskan peninsula, where it curves into the Bering Sea, lies the remote Izembek National Wildlife Refuge. The federally protected, 492-square-mile wilderness area is home to brown bears, caribou, wolves, and, once a year, the entire world population of black brant geese.
The Interior Department, led by Secretary Ryan Zinke, is pushing a plan that would -- for the first time -- allow a new road through a federally protected wilderness area, according to internal government emails. Local authorities say the road is needed to transport residents of the tiny, isolated city of King Cove to hospitals in the event of medical emergencies.

So ... in other words, virtually all of the Wyoming range east of the Grey's River was dedicated as "roadless area" by Bill Clinton 20 years ago.

Maybe Trump will tell the greenies to kiss off and direct the USFS to fix the old road that had been there since the turn of the century :)

G
Dec 1, 2007
Minnesota
Sherman parking lot - North Horse Creek trail

Can anyone give me an update!!!!!!!
How are the snow conditions from the parking lot to Blind Bull warming house.
Can you ride out of the parking lot yet???????
Is the parking lot MUD?

Steve - Minnesota

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
update

Can anyone give me an update!!!!!!!
How are the snow conditions from the parking lot to Blind Bull warming house. Trail is groomed to the warming hut, about 3' of hard snow up high.
Can you ride out of the parking lot yet??????? Not really, you need to drive up the road about a mile.
Is the parking lot MUD? No, it's been cold so the grounds frozen, but just not enough snow to ride from there

update

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I need to correct myself. The trail is not groomed all they way to the warming hut. Someone told it it was and I saw that it was groomed up the south fork of N Horse, but when we came back part of the way I noticed it's not groomed on top.

Can ride out of parking lot now and snow is good up high.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
Anyone have updates on horse creek? We run pretty light but will be going up with trailers this trip.

Snow is in the forecast, been lookinf at all the info i can gather, but I'm hopeful it's worth the drive.

Got bad news the trail out of big piney was terrible today.

Any info would be appreciated!

Don't bother asking about colorado snow, it's all but non existant :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
There is snow up high but it might be completely tracked up by now, there has been about 109,039,690 people with snowmobile rigs come through here this week :)

IDK, I am gonna head out tomorrow afternoon after I get off work, I'll post an update then :)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
We came up
Found plenty of snow and some good powder even!

Trails could use some more grooming, lots of use.

Saturday kind of sucked, no visibility whatsoever and the wind was terrible.

I thought for sure a major storm was going to blow in last night, but it never did =(

We found snow today but we had to look for it and it was spotty.

We really need snow out here, like .... bad ....

Premium Features