• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Conditions Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
2017/2018 Alpine, WY Rockin' M Ranch Snow Conditions
I will continue to give current updates throughout the winter as I have done in past years. I encourage ALL to post your own experiences, opinions of the conditions, and recent riding pictures to this post for the Alpine area. If you are interested in cabin rentals or snowmobile packages please give us a call 307-654-2288 or email us at rockinmranch@silverstar.com. I also try to keep a current snow report at rockinmranchwyoming.com, in addition to this site. The link to the Bridger Teton Avalanche report is http://www.jhavalanche.org/
Thanks for looking and ride safe!!!
Rob

Last edited:

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
November 6, 2017 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Conditions

November 6, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
I am happy to report that the 2017 winter season is off to a great start. Winter showed up at the beginning of the weekend and the forecast doesn't show it leaving anytime soon. Single digit lows predicted for the mid-week and more snow on Thursday. The local ski resorts have announced Thanksgiving openings with Targhees' snotel at 51" and 24" of new snow in the last 72 hours. Jackson Hole Resort is reporting 12" in the last 48 hours. The Blind Bull Snotel site (30 miles up the Greys River) went from 10" on November 3rd to 32" today, November 6th. Spring Creek (Afton end of the Valley) is at 20". Willow Creek (Bedford) 28". Phillips Bench (Teton Pass, Jackson Hole) 28". Box Y Lodge is showing 7".

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
No haven't ridden yet. The high elevations are getting hit pretty well. Not much down low. I drove through Pinedale a few days ago. Not much down low there either. Blind Bull is a pretty good representation of the snow around Pinedale. Both Blindbull and Togwotee are both at 32". I'm sure unloading from Merna or McDougal Gap would get you in snow pretty quick. I'm sure it wouldn't be too tough find a place to rode ride to break a sled in.

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I was just informed of a disappointing situation this morning, from my father, who lives in Alpine:

The road to Blind Bull, from Grey's river, is closed and we don't know when they'll ever fix it.* Seems a giant landslide took place in the gap at Blind Bull Lake a couple of miles from the warming hut.* He showed me some photos of the mess.* The gap is closed and there's a 60' vertical wall of dirt.* No one has figured out a way around it because of the size of things.* Tim Hababerger (trail groomer) says he will try to open the trail at Sheep Creek across McDougal Gap.* But, he has a real problem with that trail.* Seems he can groom east through the gap, but cannot groom back because the terrain is too steep for the groomer to return.* He'd have to trailer the groomer back and that's got to be well over 100 miles each way!* So, he's not sure what to do.

Rob, are you aware of this?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Something tells me the USFS has absolutely no intention whatsoever of fixing this road. I haven't personally gone out to see the slide, but those who have seen it have essentially said it's gonna take heavy equipment and a lot of money to fix. I know there are people trying to work with the USFS on an alternative, but since technically this road was originally shut under Clinton's "roadless rule" nonsense, its probably going to stay the way it is until China officially owns the US government.

Hopefully I'm wrong about all this and the USFS actually fixes it next summer though :)

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes, I am aware. For the family/beginner trail rider this will be an issue. For the likely SnoWest reader it will mean more untracked powder for those able to ride off trail. If you can't navigate your way around the slide in the Blind Bull canyon (a decent rider should) there is also a route up Deadman canyon. About 15 years ago the state created a trail up Deadman to get to blindbull. Head up deadman canyon, about a half mile before you get to the old mine there is a place where the road gets a little blown in on the north side or left side of the canyon heading up. There is a small meadow a couple of hundred yards before this spot. Ride into the meadow, head a little north but mostly east and up. Pretty easy way to get to Blind Bull and a lot more fun with less trail riding.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yes, I am aware. For the family/beginner trail rider this will be an issue. For the likely SnoWest reader it will mean more untracked powder for those able to ride off trail. If you can't navigate your way around the slide in the Blind Bull canyon (a decent rider should) there is also a route up Deadman canyon. About 15 years ago the state created a trail up Deadman to get to blindbull. Head up deadman canyon, about a half mile before you get to the old mine there is a place where the road gets a little blown in on the north side or left side of the canyon heading up. There is a small meadow a couple of hundred yards before this spot. Ride into the meadow, head a little north but mostly east and up. Pretty easy way to get to Blind Bull and a lot more fun with less trail riding.

Thank you! We tried exactly this last year (Deadman to Blind Bull), but ended up getting too far west and some of the group was constantly getting stuck. So we had to turn back. Gonna try again this year, with your info.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
November 17, 2017 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Conditions

November 17, 2017 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report
We are on day two of a two day winter storm warning. Yesterday the snow level appeared to be between 8000-9000 feet. It rained all day in the valley. The high elevations received a great hit of wet heavy snow. Great to get a base going. Blind Bull picked up about 16" "on the stick" is now at 46". Willow Creek and the South end received at least another foot and are both sitting at about 33". Both of our local resorts picked up about a foot in the last 24 hours. Targhee ski resort opened today. It is currently snowing lightly at the cabins right now.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Terrain comparable to Togwotee?

Looking at heading to the alpine area this winter. How is the riding compared to Togwotee? Best places to stay?
Thanks!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Looking at heading to the alpine area this winter. How is the riding compared to Togwotee? Best places to stay?
Thanks!
Well, on this thread, ya gotta go with Rockin' M. Alpine/Star Valley is generally better than Tog, but you need someone to show you where the good stuff is. So, book a cabin at Rockin' M and Rob will point you in the right direction.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
November 29, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Report

November 29, 2017
Not much has happened in the way of significant snowfall in the last 10 or so days. We have received a fair amount of rain a few nights but not any snow in the valley. The local ski resorts are doing great with Targhee receiving another eight inches in the last 48 hours and Jackson Hole another 5". The snow line is very defined right now in Star Valley and Jackson Hole. There is no snow until about 7000-7500 feet. The snow pack has been holding steady on the snowtel sites. The snow seems to be deeper the farther North you get. Blind Bull is at 37" Willow Creek 28" and Spring Creek (Afton) 25". We need one good Valley snow to be able to get up high, otherwise it is going to take some creativity or trailering to get to the snow right now. The weather has cooled of significantly and looks to stay cool for awhile. Light snow in the next weeks' forecast.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 4, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Conditions

December 4, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Conditions Rockin' M Ranch
This last storm really cooled things down and made it feel and look like winter around here. It appears most of the valley floor received about an inch or two. The mid mountain elevations appear to have received about 6-8" (Salt River summit 7700 feet went from 6" to 12") and the high mountains may have received a foot or more of fresh. Willow Creek went from 27" a few days ago to 37" inches overnight with no reading in the last 8 hours. Blind Bull went from 37" to 42". Afton end has the last reading at 28" with the avalanche center reporting 12" of new at commissary ridge. Jackson Hole resort is reporting 8" and Targhee 6" in the last 24 hours. In all it appears that the front side of the Salt River Range averaged about a foot of new up high. A good valley storm is needed so we can access the new snow up high. Temps are predicted to stay below freezing for the week.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 17, 2017

December 17, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M
We picked up a couple of inches here at the cabins in the last 24 hours. 1-3" seems to be the case for most of the local snotel sites and ski areas. This still seems to be one of the strangest starts to a winter that I have seen in the last 25 years. The moisture content in the snotel sites in the Snake River region is at 121% and the total precipitation just over 100%. Blind Bull is 153% moisture content. This high percentage is due to several warm storms in November and a few days that the snowpack was rained on. Therefore there is a very good base over 8000 feet. Unfortunately still not much snow under about 7500 feet. The temps have remained cold for the last few weeks and are forecasted to stay that way with another storm expected on Wednesday. I personally have never not been comfortable to rent snowmobiles to guests by Christmas. If we can pick up 6-12" in the valley in the next 8 days, we will be back to near normal. Need more snow low so we can get up high.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 23, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M

December 23, 2017 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M
This is the storm we were hoping for to get the snowmobile season underway. I took several measurements around the cabins which ranged from 8-13” of fresh snow in the last 24 hours (fair bit of wind). The Wyoming range appeared to receive anywhere from 15-20” of new since Thursday. Blind Bull went, since Thursday, from 41 to 54”. Spring Creek (Afton End) 30 to 50”, and Willow Creek (Bedford) 36” to 51”. In a few days, conditions went from marginal to Par for this time of year, with a couple more storms in the forecast for the next week. Merry Christmas!!

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the update! Really looking forward to being in star valley all next week!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 2, 2018 Alpine, WY Snow Report

January 2, 2018 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin’ M Ranch
Here is a picture from the Rockin’ M Cabins this morning. I wish I could say much has changed but the “predicted” storm a few days ago went North. Predictions are for light mountain snow coming in Thursday night and a better chance for a significant storm over the weekend. Currently the snowtels are still showing, for the Snake River Basin, total precipitation at 98% and snow water equivalent at 113%. For any decent riding you will have to get over 8000 feet. Some high elevation options are Willow Creek and N. Willow Creek (Bedford), Smith Fork (South end of Afton), and the Blind Bull area (if your skills can get you around the slide). Be careful! Conditions are unstable on some aspects. Here is a current avalanche report:

SITUATION
A high pressure ridge brought clear skies and a temperature inversion to western Wyoming today. Temperatures rose into the teens and 20s in the mountains. Westerly winds increased to 15 to 25 with gusts to 35 miles per hour and caused areas of blowing snow along the peaks.

The snowpack remains unstable on steep avalanche prone slopes. Skiers in the southern Teton Range today reported dozens of collapses (whumphs), observed shooting cracks and triggered a two foot deep slab avalanche on a southeast aspect at an elevation of 9,160 feet.
FORECAST FOR Tuesday, January 02, 2018
Skies will remain mostly clear and the temperature inversion will strengthen overnight. West winds will veer to the northwest and remain strong as an Alberta Clipper weather system tracks to our northeast. Skies will be mostly sunny on Tuesday. Temperatures will rise into the 20s. Winds will relax and become light and variable.

The snowpack remains unstable on steep slopes that have not already avalanched. Dangerous slab avalanches two to four feet in depth can be triggered by the weight of a single person or after a slope has been crossed by previous skiers or riders. The general avalanche hazard is expected to be CONSIDERABLE above an elevation of 7,500 feet. Expert terrain analysis skills and conservative terrain choices are essential for safe travel in avalanche terrain. Small avalanches are possible on isolated terrain features at the lower elevations where the general avalanche hazard is expected to be LOW.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 10, 2018 Alpine, WY Snow Report

January 10, 2018 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
Another warm storm with mountain snow and valley rain. Looking out my window the snow line looks to have been about 7500 feet. The local snowtel sites look like they picked up 6-8” which is also what the ski resorts are reporting, Jackson hole 7”, and Targhee 8”. A colder wave of moisture is in the forecast for tomorrow.

Premium Features