• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wheres APT Smartcarb ?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dont see much from APT. Are they still in business ? Website pretty thin. Facebook hacked. Stock in the crapper amd no real updates. Anyone waiting on orders or know anything ?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Give em a call and post up what you find Summitboy.

American Performance Technologies
8830 Hillcrest Road
Kansas City, MO 64138

877-372-3465

Looks like they got their site hacked too by an ex-employee.

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Company changed name to Technology Elevated. They have a website based in Kansas City. So i guess this means the shareholders of ATP are screwed. What a bunch of thieves ! Generate income off the shareholder and pack up shop and move across town and not have to worry about what happens to the stock price. I always knew something like this was gonna happen with this bunch. I guess the company runs just like the carb does. Like a bag of chit !

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You ask questions in your first post at 10:00 this morning and then follow up just 4 hours later.

Did you dig up some good info in that time?

Can you share it with us? Sources?

It's good to know this kind of information especially too keep our readers on top of things that may affect them.

I see that you have one of these carbs for sale... so I can see why you would be angry... and not want it loose value if it was no longer supported by any mfg.

From what I could tell, they made good carbs... I don't have one, but they seemed to work and you seemed to like them a lot in your different posts.

Carb or fuel injection
One word ...........
SMARTCARB

I'll be buying a carbed bike this season... and hope that I can still buy one of these... or something similar.... Maybe I'll go with one of Robbies heaters!! He's a good guy and has been supporting sledders for some time.

I'd like to have the auto alt. compensation feature on it though.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Honestly I have had good luck with Lectron and Smartcarb.. That being said if the above is true that's a problem.... I emailed to see if they are still in business ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I dont have any carbs for sale. I sold a bunch of them for 500 friends. Ill admit i got caught up in the hype of that carb. It had a lot of issues for 500 guys. Even Corey would admit that lol. I had every problem imaginable with my Smarty. WOT it seemed ok, everywhere else a total pile. After sending it down the road and Pulsing my bike i had my eyes opened to what a great running bike should be. Seems like the 300 crowd has had some luck but even some of those guys had problems. Gas Gas was supposed to run that carb but they must of seen its issues as well and dropped them like a hot potato.

Too bad the stock will now disappear. Makes my Smarty seem very expensive LOL

Clay911

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2010
Alberta
Ya i was looking at both Lectron and Smartcarb and decided to go with Lectron because they were the only ones i could get in touch with and have never heard any off the horror stories like i have with APT. I have no doubts that i wont have issues and the lectron will impress.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys, here's the scoop. Corey and another APT partner had a major business disagreement. They ended up splitting. Corey is now Technology Elevated.

They are busy making several models of Smart Carbs as well as their constant energy in advancing two stroke technologies. They will be introducing a "reed less" intake system as well as advancements in engine technology that will be straight gas, no oil. Sealed crank case like a four stroke for oil, but a two stroke.

The new four stroke side pull is super sweet. There are a ton of older four strokes out there that may be interested in checking them out.

There is always a hater or basher out there to throw stones at those who invest their lives advancing technology for the greater benefit of people around the world. With the brilliant minds and talent of those engineers, I am sure we will see some amazing stuff in the future. Two steps forward, one step back.... It has to be tough. I bet the Wright brothers heard their "flying machine" would never catch on. Ha Ha... Now we fly around the world. Even to the moon. I for one give a big shout out to those who invest their lives inventing and advancing all the amazing things they do. They all make tremendous contributions. Like the carb heater we designed last year. I heard some of the same negative junk, "doesn't fit my 20 year old bike", or "looks dumb"? I have to thank Robbie at Avid for taking the time and going out on a limb to "contribute" and manufacture a product that everyone benefits from.
Thanks Robbie!

https://www.facebook.com/technologyelevated?fref=ts

On that note, the President of Lectron was kind enough to send us some Carbs for testing. We will install on different bikes, heaters, intakes, etc, etc, and give them a thorough testing. It will be a lot of fun. We will keep you posted as it moves along.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MtnDoo thanks for the update but the way APT has conducted its business from the beginning has been shady at best. Corey pulling his carbs and eng from the business brings absolutely zero comfort to any shareholder of APT. They have alienated all that believed in their business. If this classifies me as hater than so be it. Corey and his cohort are poor business men as is so blatently obvious. I appreciate you love the Smartcarb and have been a ardent supporter of them, but please dont make it out to be the greatest invention ever made because its not.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have no vested interest in APT one way or another, but, as a general comment about business I for one have spent hideous amounts of money on new and untested products based on a manufacturers hype or promises. Back in the turbo sled days it was non stop, you need this or that you buy it then you end up being the guinea pig for their product. I won't ever buy something the first go round any more, if the manufacturer hasn't tested and proved it so much that it is generally considered bombproof I'm not interested. There's just way too much of that mentality around these days companies rushing to get a product to market. I understand it takes time, commitment and huge amounts of cash to create a product from scratch but I'm just not willing to ruin a riding day because something isn't working right. You have to hand it to the Yeti guys for their extensive testing prior to their release, I guess it remains to be seen if it actually pans out for them but I must say after seeing the prototypes for a few years and now the production kit, the production kit looks fantastic, its very impressive and you can see that they have refined it extensively and not at our expense.

M5

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Yuppers, have seen this scenario played out on the internet in various forms and sports/interest for more than a decade.

Mostly on guitar forums. Like M5 I've done my share of guinea pigging. Been burned, and even lucked out.

Have a guitar amp, literally built by a rocket scientist. But as you can already guess, apparently they don't cover business in rocket school, and the guy flamed out and people got burned.

So, long story short, a man is only as good as his word.

Shoot rainbows out your ***, cure cancer, etc. etc. Doesn't matter if you can't run a business, and be honest!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
you gotta love the hype

after 50 plus years of trying to tune fuel delivery to engines it was very humorous to read some of the gushing over the design smarty came up with.
Why so fuuny, good fuel delivery needs testing and tuning. So the smart y has a lot of potentially good parts to make it happen for the motor, unfortunately its still requires a brain trust with experience to make adjustments, well to even know when adjustments are in order.

So the smarty hype was almost word for word the gushing when Mikuni round slides were the rage in the late 60's, or the flat slide Lectron/BlueMax/Edelbrock, in the 80's then early 90's with Magatron Snow Carbs, then aftermarket FI. They all worked for great tuners. That leaves out abourt 99.31% of the bikers. Then the money glich, all the aftermarket FI guys are gone, Lectron after about 4 ownerships is still out there, BlueMax/Edelbr all gone. Oh, no bolt on miracles. Fact the Mikuni guys are still trying to make the appropriate needles for engines, after 56 years of trying. Making money on hype is hazardous, or impossible.

I hope some one at smarty can make his family a living eventually at smarty, I wish then no ill.

I am mostly concerned about my thoughts of buying a new bike for sno power because they brag up the FI, I hope its not more hype............the first year sure was.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
after 50 plus years of trying to tune fuel delivery to engines it was very humorous to read some of the gushing over the design smarty came up with.
Why so fuuny, good fuel delivery needs testing and tuning. So the smart y has a lot of potentially good parts to make it happen for the motor, unfortunately its still requires a brain trust with experience to make adjustments, well to even know when adjustments are in order.

So the smarty hype was almost word for word the gushing when Mikuni round slides were the rage in the late 60's, or the flat slide Lectron/BlueMax/Edelbrock, in the 80's then early 90's with Magatron Snow Carbs, then aftermarket FI. They all worked for great tuners. That leaves out abourt 99.31% of the bikers. Then the money glich, all the aftermarket FI guys are gone, Lectron after about 4 ownerships is still out there, BlueMax/Edelbr all gone. Oh, no bolt on miracles. Fact the Mikuni guys are still trying to make the appropriate needles for engines, after 56 years of trying. Making money on hype is hazardous, or impossible.

I hope some one at smarty can make his family a living eventually at smarty, I wish then no ill.

I am mostly concerned about my thoughts of buying a new bike for sno power because they brag up the FI, I hope its not more hype............the first year sure was.

Well said.... They are great minds and engineers. We are just bashing on the internet, they are scratching their heads to innovate better products. That is my point. If it were up to "us", lol !!!! We would still be dialing rotary phones and riding horses! The four legged ones that is. :)

I appreciate those poring everything they have into innovative products and advancing technology. We enjoy the fruits of their hard work years down the road.

They are breaking ground never before tested... Great minds and hard work will produce some amazing stuff in our future. Follow them on Facebook. Read the specific engineering details of the developments in progress. Those kind of people made America what it is today. Highs and lows will happen. It's part of evolution. In the end, we all benefit from their developments. We have seen it evolve in every industry out there. Looking back, they all are credited for the technology we enjoy today.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I don't know guys I don't think it's hype as I have owned both along with the stock carbs... My take is this they all take tuning... The metered carbs are way more resistant to altitude and temp changes so you seem to be in that sweet spot almost all the time ... Where with a standard carb I would have to be fooling with it 3 to 4 times a year and still not have a strong pull through all the circuits sometimes the Lectron I would have adjust once a year and the smart carb the same... The beauty of the smarty is its external... That being said the smarty has much more going on inside which causes a higher level of failure of something... I have one that was great from the start and one I had to send back to get it rebuilt to work.. I am far from a tuner but I know when my machine runs good and for me I have over 500 riding hours with some type of metered carb... Yes I use an hour meter and this is over the last 3 years with a cr500 highly modified and a ktm 300... I think the biggest issue with smarty was trying to tell people one rod fits all... It really is not the case and they should have better recommendation machine to machine like Lectron... That being said cold starting a stock carb wins out hands down... But I am willing to deal with that. As far as customer service I have had good luck with both but Lectron will really go the extra mile. That's my 2 cents..

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
wwillfo1, I agree. I have many, many Smart Carb builds that are spot on and far exceed any traditional carb we've had for the last 50 years. Some have had issues, but there are thousands out there with huge benefits over the old traditional jetted carb. As an example, the Smart Carb was tested to maintain air/fuel ratios while climbing. It reached 22,000 feet before it could no longer compensate. That is revolutionary, in the science books. Perfect??? of course not, but promising technology for things to come? Absolutely!!!

My KX500 was a total spot on dream come true for an entire season demoing across the north west. It was fed with a 40MM Smart Carb. My and Brett's 330's have a ton of hours on them last year combined. Spot on and perfect , no jetting, no hassle. They are an amazing piece of technology. They will be "tweaked" and evolve to eliminate the inconsistencies we've seen out there. I know it is obvious, but I am in 100% in support of those folks out there on the limb developing new technology for us to enjoy. It just keeps getting better and better. I won't kick them in the ba##s for their efforts. Those brilliant engineers will deliver some cool stuff for years to come. And I am not talking just Smart Carb. It's all those people out there willing to push forward. It gets better every year.

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Innovation through stealing peoples hard earned money. Oh the American dream ! Raise capital to fund your innovation and turn around and offer zero in return to your shareholders. I would love to hear Corey explain this one !

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Innovation through stealing peoples hard earned money. Oh the American dream ! Raise capital to fund your innovation and turn around and offer zero in return to your shareholders. I would love to hear Corey explain this one !

I would agree it would be nice to see a statement ... It does leave a bad taste when something like that happens... But it is not the first time ...

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I totally agree its not the first time but it shouldnt keep happening. If Corey or APT think its ok they are sad bunch of individuals. The Smartcarb will end up going the way of the Edelbrock imo. Its just not a carb that can cover all bikes the same. Id love to hear why Gas Gas dropped them. Im guessing hard starting, flooding, inconsistant performance and premature wear.

My experience was a pure waste of time and effort. I saw everything:

Poor poor starting
Zero idle unless it was crazy hot
Severe flooding (fire hose out of the pipe LOL. Funniest thing ever)
Adjuster that moved itself
Vibration

I tried every rod they had at every click. I could idle it at a lean lean rod. It vibrated so bad i cracked a new FMF pipe and a subframe lol. When trying to richen it nothing but horrible/zero idle and impossible starting. I spent many hours on the track, sand and on the snow. Nothing but down time

Finally after installing my Pulse from Ron Mccord it started in a couple kicks. Into a perfect idle. I changed the main and pilot once without moving the carb. Airscrew to adjust the entire circuit. Havent had to touch my Pulse since its been on all last snow season and sand season. Bike is more or less flawless.

I personally know individuals with the exact same issues on the CR500. A very good friend of mine did some extensive testing and he still had to adjust it through out the day for temp and humidity.

Oh and about that "reed less" intake ask Corey where he got/stole that idea from ! I will never give APT or Corey a red cent !

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Glad to hear your success with the old PWK. I ride with CR500's and Smart Carbs that are totally amazing. Sorry you had troubles??? My friend Brad from Powersports Tech has the most amazing CR500 I have ever seen, and powered by a 40MM Smart Carb. He never kicks it over twice and totally stomps the old school PWK's . Everyone's first comment is, "I have never seen a bike idle so smoothly". Apparently you had issues the PWK would mask. As they tweak the technology like everything else, it will settle into perfection. I felt the same way about my 1982 Chevy Diesel truck!!! Lol. Look at them now.... :)

This is not a "bash thread". You can start a new one for that. This is info about the company as the thread is titled.

Anyway, moving forward..... Yes, a statement from APT addressing the changes would be appropriate. It is very new. We may see a statement soon?

To stay on topic, here's the info to the thread; Corey and another APT partner had a major business disagreement. They ended up splitting. Corey is now Technology Elevated.

https://www.facebook.com/technologyelevated?fref=ts

Last edited:
Premium Features