• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Ultimate 300 Build Thread - 2014

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys, I have gotten several calls about one for sale. lol No, I don't. I was promoting the 300 class bike as a fun hot rod if anybody is interested or has one sitting in their garage. To be confident in the 250/300 class two stroke, and get a kit on it and go play. Sorry for the muffled voice in the helmet.

Gman, - 40mm Billet Smart Carb, Q07 rod. Runs excellent. Super strong everywhere! I am going to do some 38mm testing on this 330 as well. The 40mm on this bike is excellent, but I suspect the 38mm "should" cause more velocity and signal. We are learning and testing continuously and there will be things discovered and learned along the way. We are in a unique position to be writing the book as we stumble along. I will be sure to post the good, bad, and "better" as we continue.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Looks like fun! Almost sounds like the 40MM carb with the top end port job is on the edge of not having enough torque off the engagement. IMHO of course. I cant wait to ride with a 330 and see how they stack up! 2016 ST huh? You got the new track I take it?? Is the snowpack you are on about 12" on a set up base?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
We found a spot that hadn't gotten the rain and freeze. There wasn't that cement underneath. When you stepped off your bike you would go to about mid thy. It was nice. The TQ off the bottom is crazy good. When we get some sun, I will post more at length. You can roll on the throttle, no clutch, and pull the ski in the air. Pretty fun.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
crazy good...those are the kind of words that I like to hear, overwhelming endorsement. I think mine is crazy good and i don't have alot of the stuff you put on yours.

Who did the 330 for you? Eric Gorr. That'd be nice one stop shopping. A port and polish, and bump it up 30cc

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, they tested this engine in Europe last summer. Available now, as of a couple weeks ago. Eric Gorr, It is returned with Nikasil , cross hatched, etc. complete top end kit. Ported and 30CC over. Nice pkg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Awesome day in the high country of Montana on the KTM 330. Spring snow conditions and about 50 miles ripping in the sunshine. Doesn't get any better.

http://youtu.be/0O-dt8wQUHs
Randy, you should just buy a 250f if your gonna ride it like that ;)

I wanna hear that thing on the PIPE!! lol That snow looks pretty rough, but a lot more fun on a bike then a sled. although looks like a paddle tire and screws in the front might give guys a run for there money right now.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Man, i thought we had bad snow !

You do !!! lol Ya know, when you ride in the summer, folks don't ask, "how was the dirt". lol Stop thinking sled, think "bike". The snow conditions discussion never came up with bikers. Only sledders. It was awesome

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Randy, you should just buy a 250f if your gonna ride it like that ;)

I wanna hear that thing on the PIPE!! lol That snow looks pretty rough, but a lot more fun on a bike then a sled. although looks like a paddle tire and screws in the front might give guys a run for there money right now.

Ya Nick, or even a CR150. That was the point..... Get off the couch and stop complaining about the snow. Take a relaxing cruise all day on top of the mountain. It is not a performance video. It's a video out cruising on the mountain, instead of sitting at home complaining. We rode the Taylor's Fork last Saturday and it was awesome. Lost Trail Pass on Sunday, awesome. It's a bike, not a sled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ya Nick, or even a CR150. That was the point..... Get off the couch and stop complaining about the snow. Take a relaxing cruise all day on top of the mountain. It is not a performance video. It's a video out cruising on the mountain, instead of sitting at home complaining. We rode the Taylor's Fork last Saturday and it was awesome. Lost Trail Pass on Sunday, awesome. It's a bike, not a sled.
Im the first to complain about snow, but ive been out logging tons of miles on sleds and bikes, still beats a day in the house every day. Should have let me known you were down this way. Weve been out exploring new zones like nuts on bikes, and always fun to have other bikers with our gang.

Been planning some longer loop rides, just waiting for the icy layers we got on south facing stuff to melt out or get buried. amazing what you can sneak into even with these marginal conditions on bikes. I think i spent 6 bucks in gas in my bike on my ride monday and we covered about 35 or 40 miles. it was nuts.

We have been setting up sort of "way points" and doing little moto sessions through the woods. really fun as its like an all out race and the lower snow makes obstacles like downed trees and rocks play more into it, VERY fun.

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Just an observation. Still nice to have snow for a snow sport. Even on a bike concrete sucks. If thats not the case why leave the trail at all ? I never professed to hate or leave sledding lol.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Im the first to complain about snow, but ive been out logging tons of miles on sleds and bikes, still beats a day in the house every day. Should have let me known you were down this way. Weve been out exploring new zones like nuts on bikes, and always fun to have other bikers with our gang.

Been planning some longer loop rides, just waiting for the icy layers we got on south facing stuff to melt out or get buried. amazing what you can sneak into even with these marginal conditions on bikes. I think i spent 6 bucks in gas in my bike on my ride monday and we covered about 35 or 40 miles. it was nuts.

We have been setting up sort of "way points" and doing little moto sessions through the woods. really fun as its like an all out race and the lower snow makes obstacles like downed trees and rocks play more into it, VERY fun.

Those are great ideas. We are thinking about some kind of cross country poker run with way points covering miles and miles of difficult terrain. Get from point to point any way you can, just be sure you hit each one. Travel in teams of two for support and safety. etc etc ? Fun stuff we can do for sure.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Loving the way this bike runs Randy! 330 for the win.

As for snow conditions, I agree. Stop complaining and go ride! Unfortunately in WA the snow is gone. I am back to tires.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Good to hear it's a runner! Darn, I heard your snow is gone. That's super discouraging. If you had your kit still on, you're welcome anytime to come over. We have lots of snow. 90" enough to last until spring for sure. March usually dumps more. We're good

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I would recommend a run out of about 13.5 to 13.75 inches. The 12/17 is super low. I would recommend a 13 counter with a 16 jack shaft gear, then make adjustments from there in the chain case. Start with a 17/20 and go from there.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Snow for a snow sport is a no brainer, duh... lol . We have about 90" , that's about 8 feet of snow. It will be a long excellent spring of riding. The bike is not so much a "snow sport". It's a "bike sport" adapted to use in the winter. Sled's don't work very well in the dirt or concrete snow. lol. We don't complain about "snow" all summer when we're riding bikes on dirt? The common detonator is the "Bike", not what you're riding on. The love of riding the bike, is the bike. Weather it's dirt, rocks, trails, powder snow, concrete, etc. The bike was designed for rocks and concrete, and we love it! Snow as an option, is a dream come true. Folks will take their kits off in order to ride an 8 inch trail of concrete,.. when they could be shredding the high country, "off trail", until June. Don't miss out! Pick a warm sunny day and go! It's the best

Only about 3 feet at most left here in Utah at 10000 in most places it's about a foot our seasons over:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Premium Features