• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid Products Carb Heater, APT and PWK

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Great job guys!!

Thank you for stepping up to the plate and delivering the goods. This was the "missing link" for me last season -- I had a great bike (300 KTM XC) but had carb icing issues more often than not with a cast 38 Smarty. Looking forward to running this system this season on all my bikes!!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Tieing the two systems together simply routes the thermostat bypass line into the carb heat collar and the return from the carb heat collar ties into the return to the water pump. The end result is on start up, the stat is closed, cylinder coolant is bypassed through the carb heat collar and back to the pump. The engine quickly warms up, as does the carb's venturi. Once the temp meets 130F, for two strokes, the stat modulates gradually as needed to prevent an over heating condition. The carb heat circuit never closes or is affected by the function of the thermostat.

The install looks OEM. Very clean. Unless you look closely, you would not even notice it. This will be universal for all make and model bikes. Two stroke and FCR four strokes.

First thank you for making this happen. Second can the billit be used on the cast smarty or do I need to get the Billet?

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
nice work!

does that heat collar add length to the carb? what does the collar look like off the carb? does the intake boot clamp onto the heat collar or still onto the carb where it originally did? Also are u going to include shutoffs valves as mentioned above? Awesome job looks very nice!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The complete system includes the Billet Carb Heat collar, the Billet thermostat housing, 130F thermostat, all brass barbed and threaded fittings, Top of the line HPS silicone hose, a "hot line insulating sleeve", and all German worm drive clamps 9mm.

The system will be manufactured by Avid Products and available directly from Avid. Also they will be provided to wholesalers to be available at your local OEM dealer. They retail for $249.95

For ordering information, please visit; http://www.avid-products.com/

For questions feel free to contact myself or "Robbie" at Avid products
Thanks I ordered one;)

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Package cost... Are you using billet with the cast one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No. Cast signal lines will not allow the collar to fit. All Billet models fit. The extra cost of the Billet is well worth it in the long run. Remember, when you sell or up-grade your bike, keep your Billet Carb and sell your bike with the OEM, PWK Series. You will have your Billet Smart Carb for ever if you want.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
does that heat collar add length to the carb? what does the collar look like off the carb? does the intake boot clamp onto the heat collar or still onto the carb where it originally did? Also are u going to include shutoffs valves as mentioned above? Awesome job looks very nice!

Yes, It adds approximately 1/2" to the length. There are two intake options.

#1- The "Frozen Boost" intake I posted a couple of years ago. A pod design that suspends into the air box after removing the OEM intake boot.

#2- Cycle Playground is selling a modified OEM boot that is 1/2" shorter. With this intake boot, you simply install the pre-filter in your air box.

Here are the links and pic's.

http://www.cycleplayground.com/wordpress/ Look in their e-store

The Frozen Boost Pod-

Boondockers Clean Air Intake System small image.jpg

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yes, It adds approximately 1/2" to the length. There are two intake options.

#1- The "Frozen Boost" intake I posted a couple of years ago. A pod design that suspends into the air box after removing the OEM intake boot.

#2- Cycle Playground is selling a modified OEM boot that is 1/2" shorter. With this intake boot, you simply install the pre-filter in your air box.

Here are the links and pic's.

http://www.cycleplayground.com/wordpress/ Look in their e-store

The Frozen Boost Pod-

Where do you purchase the frozen boost?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think the boot is year specific. I was told the 2010 doesnt require it. I could be wrong.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I think the boot is year specific. I was told the 2010 doesnt require it. I could be wrong.

That might be? I ordered a couple new ones for testing. I haven't received them yet. The Frozen Boost Pod is a simple "fit's all", never plugs, no hassle design.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
cool

cool thanks, Ive been making carb heater stuff and using the boondocker turbo intakes for 3 seasons now, I just got back into 2 strokes for snow after trying 4 stroke for the last 2 seasons, modded out yz 300 baby! (i'm a yamaha guy trying to resist orange!) That heat collar setup seems like a fair price on a quality product! The thermostat housing is awesome! my friend bought a 36mm billet smarty we are running now on dirt on a beta 300rr race, so i'm getting some experience with the smarty. The reason I asked about the length was just for fitment using the stock boot. I buy the boodocker pods for 3" hose and then buy the reducer as u show from silicone intakes.com, same as frozen boost essentially, but was hoping to use the stock boot for its shape and design on this build. I'm glad to see this progression of products, long live the 2 strokers! And I cant wait to see a 4 stroker with efi removed ripping it up!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
That might be? I ordered a couple new ones for testing. I haven't received them yet. The Frozen Boost Pod is a simple "fit's all", never plugs, no hassle design.

With the heated collar to you see a need for the neoprene jacket?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted but where is a link to the Frozen Boost intakes ? Boondocker ? Price ?

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
just call

Not sure if this has been posted but where is a link to the Frozen Boost intakes ? Boondocker ? Price ?

I just call boondocker and order the 3 inch straight polaris turbo intake, or maybe they have a snowbike specific one now, then order the 3 inch stainless coupler and clamps and the appropriate 45 degree (or straight) bending reducer for your application (usually 3 x 2 ,3 x 2.25 or 3 x 2.5) depending on your carb or throttle body, from frozenboost or siliconeintakes.com. As has been stated on here, the key is to make it short so it mimics the stock intake boot. The boondocker piece is around 70 bucks if I remember and then another 30 for the silicone stuff. I also get a couple extra socks from boondocker for like 20 a piece so if i get a hole in one I have them on hand, I always have at least one spare in my backpack. Maybe call frozenboost and get it all from them if u can since they seem to be kinda working with mtn dew on this? Also another cool thing you can do is remove the wires from the bd piece and then reinstall them directly into the 3 inch end of the bending reducer u want to use and forget the stainless coupler and clamps and all if the assembly is too long.

photo(2).jpg

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
With the heated collar to you see a need for the neoprene jacket?

Yes, we recommend a carb jacket. The carb will be warm and we recommend keeping it dry and free from cold snow. I have purchased 5mm neoprene and Velcro to make some jackets. I am also going to visit with some fabrication businesses to manufacture a "one size fits all" carb jacket.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

I purchase a 3" X 2.5" bending, reducing coupling from frozenboost.com A one piece unit that solves both end sizes and the angle needed. The bending reducing coupling fits your carb on one end and bends and expands to 3" to attach the 3" Boondocker pre filter. No two size couplings to attach. Also the 45 degree bend places the pod neatly inside your air box.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yes, we recommend a carb jacket. The carb will be warm and we recommend keeping it dry and free from cold snow. I have purchased 5mm neoprene and Velcro to make some jackets. I am also going to visit with some fabrication businesses to manufacture a "one size fits all" carb jacket.

Please let me know I would buy one in a heartbeat..

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
dirt/snow

R.S,
I am putting one of the billet 38's with the avid setup, and am trying to figure out my intake...i am concerned with going to frozen boost setup, because this will be ridden alot in the summer as well with the smarty on. I am thinking of having a stock boot trimmed for summer and frozen boost setup for winter? looking for ideas here, what you think RS?
-Brock

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
I am in the same boat

I don't like the idea of cutting up these intake boxes too much for snow. Makes the transition to dirt more time-consuming and expensive than it needs to be.

Premium Features