• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best ski for timbersled bike kit

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Regoddarn rediculus!

At the least, it's only money just sucks the closer these kits and their upgrades are nearing the prices of good used Twoskis, or dare I say it.:face-icon-small-win

I had no problem with the gen I Simmons when I rode the Mountain Horse last Feb, can't you folks give it a few seasons before expecting the silver spoon?

No wonder why the learning curve on the unmentioned :face-icon-small-win was such a hang up with soo many, they wanted it easy.

I wish women could be converted by a "KIT"!:becky:

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
I want to try TLKD's ski out but his Private Message box is full! Clean that sucker out!

For some reasons I can't seem to get te messages "out". They stay in there even if I "delete" them... Didn't find out why yet... Admin, can you clean her out ?

Don't know if you have it already but I don't sell the ski, twin-axis setup & snowtracker kit. You'd have to contact J&L Snowhawk for this part... I've designed & built the wider baseplate as the ski insert (wing) and twin-axis lock. Got one last powder ski adaptor kit left I can complete in about 2 week delivery if you're interested.

Sure is waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper to buy a 100$ Simmons ski and call her done though. Not gonna argue on that and it's sure nice to save a few hundreads here and there but I'm gonna add this... if you're on a budget, better choose another winter sport than snow-biking or sledding...

Email me at thierrylemieux@hotmail.com

Cheers !

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
For some reasons I can't seem to get te messages "out". They stay in there even if I "delete" them... Didn't find out why yet... Admin, can you clean her out ?

Don't know if you have it already but I don't sell the ski, twin-axis setup & snowtracker kit. You'd have to contact J&L Snowhawk for this part... I've designed & built the wider baseplate as the ski insert (wing) and twin-axis lock. Got one last powder ski adaptor kit left I can complete in about 2 week delivery if you're interested.

Sure is waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper to buy a 100$ Simmons ski and call her done though. Not gonna argue on that and it's sure nice to save a few hundreads here and there but I'm gonna add this... if you're on a budget, better choose another winter sport than snow-biking or sledding...

Email me at thierrylemieux@hotmail.com

Cheers !

This will only be my fourth season of motorized snow sports and in that time I have spent more money following this addiction then I care to think about so I understand budgets aren't for this sport. I also know that money doesn't grow on tree's (at least not around my house) so I try to stretch it as far as I can. If I can't mod this gen 2 of mine to work the way I want I am sure I will be looking at other options.

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I to would like to try a Hawk ski. I hear good things about them. I wish they were more easily available to get a new one. The ski that we are working on at Timbersled is now at Simmons getting a machined prototype made. I will share some pictures when I get it back.

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com

I want to try TLKD's ski out but his Private Message box is full! Clean that sucker out!

If i get my kit from Thierry i would be more than happy to let you try it out. How far are you from missoula? is the snow worth a day long drive? I want to go somewhere this weekend to try out my machine...

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I would like to try your ski if you have it available. I would appreciate that. Went out riding for the first time this week end and was supersized how much snow there was and how good of a base there is. I did not hit anything under the snow throughout the day and all the creeks are bridged over with snow. I think we have more snow here than any other place in the North West. It would be worth your time to come up and go riding. We did about 40 miles of back country riding.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I to would like to try a Hawk ski. I hear good things about them. I wish they were more easily available to get a new one. The ski that we are working on at Timbersled is now at Simmons getting a machined prototype made. I will share some pictures when I get it back.

I have to wonder about Bovin and the ski patten.. Since they no longer are making anything for the Hawk or snowbike perhaps the ski is available to a snowbike company???

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
where you at?

I would like to try your ski if you have it available. I would appreciate that. Went out riding for the first time this week end and was supersized how much snow there was and how good of a base there is. I did not hit anything under the snow throughout the day and all the creeks are bridged over with snow. I think we have more snow here than any other place in the North West. It would be worth your time to come up and go riding. We did about 40 miles of back country riding.

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Did not see any prices, how much?
Do you have them in stock?
How easily do they adapt to a Polaris stile ski mount, like what is on the Mountain Horse?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
That's a very good review right there.

Now take this best ski setup, add a twin axis lock, make it float better than a Gen2 and away you go, you solved the problem forever. This is the last ski you'll ever want, whatever the type of riding you're doing.

It is not all ski floatation that is the problem,the skids are to far to the back for proper weight distribution.

Look at the new Horse prototype sucked forward as far as possible, they are on to something right there.

cheers..........

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Did not see any prices, how much?
Do you have them in stock?
How easily do they adapt to a Polaris stile ski mount, like what is on the Mountain Horse?

Only one left in stock from this year's production. Retail for the complete kit (Stainless Steel Baseplate, Ski insert, twin axis lock and all hardware) is 300$

No plans on doing any more unfortunately. Kinda questionning the final price too, eh. Honestly I didn't think of selling this thing to the Snow-Bike guys cause none has the Hawk ski except the Exlorer kit guys... And an explorer is so bad in anything deeper than 8" of snow already the owner won't think the ski is the problem... For a guy who already has that ski, it's not too bad of an investment at all. But if a guy has to buy the whole ski with the twin axis mount, twin axis rubber donuts, snow trackers, carbide runners and a whole bunch of bolts that's like 500$ right there. That's without the mount that links the ski to the forks... So... If I had time & bikes available I'd come up with a kit but for now I'm just gonna leave it to the other guys, they're doing pretty damn good, just a matter of time before they find a solution that works as good as mine. But those are a big pair of shoes by the way. Right now the front ski setup seem to be the most overlooked thing on snow-bikes according to me.

It is not all ski floatation that is the problem,the skids are to far to the back for proper weight distribution.

Look at the new Horse prototype sucked forward as far as possible, they are on to something right there.

cheers..........

If you ask, I'll choose bite & perfect control over flotation any day, even when I rode spots like Revelstoke or Sicamous. I know it's not all about flotation ! And yep, weight distribution, I see ya. A conversion kit will always stay a conversion kit. Not much a ski will do against that besides the fact that you gotta add some bite to it it you don't have a lot of ski pressure. Not just adding a set of snow-trackers or carbides but also some sort of a twin axis, that adds a lot of bite cause you get the 2 edges of the ski biting, not just one. According to the last 5 years of Snow-Hawk testing I have done, a ski has to have both (bite & flotation) to perform awesome everywhere. Just my 2 cents here.

Not sure the Timbersled ski sucked as far forward is for weight distribution... Maybe some of them can validate that but theoretically, they're playing with a virtual measurment called "trail". ADBoivin has also played wit this. Here's a little drawing, sorry it's a bike but same principle applies :

Trail80rake.jpg

Below is a very good explanation of the "trail" concept right there from Dave Moulton's Bike Blog. But I'm gonna say the following from my experience : Less trail and you get a more direct steering feeling. More trail (ski more towards the back) and you get more stability and predictability off the ski. Also rides better at high speed. More of a direct steer feeling is probably what Timbersled is after.

Here's the article :
If you draw an imaginary line through the center of your bicycle’s steering tube (Steering Axis.) it will reach the ground at a point in front of where the wheel actually contacts the ground.

The difference between these two points is known as the trail. Trail assists steering; as you lean the bike to the left or right, the steering axis moves in that direction, and thereby turns the wheel in that direction as it pivots on the point of contact with the road.

Trail also assists the bike in holding a straight line. It works on the same principal as a castor wheel on a grocery cart, which goes in the direction it is pushed. (Or in theory it is supposed to.) This is why it is called “trail,” because the wheel trails along behind the steering axis.

Fork rake or offset is the distance between the steering axis and the wheel center. It doesn’t matter if the fork blade is curved forward in the traditional way, or if the fork blade is straight but angled forward from the crown. If the offset is the same the bike will handle the same.

You will see from the drawing above, if the head angle is made steeper then trail decreases because the steering axis moves closer to the wheel’s point of contact. Conversely, a shallow head angle will lengthen trail.

Less fork rake, increases trail, because the wheel center is moved back away from the steering axis. More fork rake means less trail because the wheel center is moved forward.

That being said, I beleive an adjustable Trail measurment is what needs to be. It'll be a never-ending debate among Hawkers on which the 2" or 6" trail adaptor is best. It's a very personnal thing... And a lot of those who bought the Adjustable trail adaptor (from 2 to 6" if I remember well), ride it right in the middle... !

Wow that's a big arse post ! Hope that's not too much techy info !

Time for another coffee ! :tea:

Peace.

Thierry

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho

cheers..........

I don't think the geometry has changed at all on their new model. It's hard to say for sure with out having the two kits side by side but everything looks the same to me. The only difference I see is the addition of a shock and the tunnel sides hacked in half.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Done with my "Allen copy" ski

With the help of some friends with wood working tools to cut and form the UHMW. Along with black and white plastic dust all over the garage, two days work, my Gen II ski is ready to try out.

Thanks goes to Allen for trial and error and to my helping friends.

If this works there will be a 2Moto Gen II ski with 2Moto tall carbides and shark fin kit, FOR SALE!

Last edited:
Premium Features