• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PIDD display (Polaris interactive digital display)

medicman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Hey guys looking to get a new 2018 Axys and wondering how many of you have the PIDD display on your machines. Is it worth it, any problems, do you like it. Let me know your thoughts.

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
I got a an Axys RMK this year with PIDD. It wasn’t a huge must have when looking, but sled I liked had it so whatever....

After having a few rides with it, I LOVE the GPS feature. Do a lot of off trail and I’m directionally challenged most of the time. This makes life easy for me! My only complaint would be to have the temp gauge a little bigger but maybe that changed from my 2016 model.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
If I were buying a Polaris this year, I would search eBay for a low priced option. I don't thin it's worth $500. Granted, it's on a snowmobile and best in industry but it also leaves a lot to be desired.

I like the bread crumb trail, ability to export, and ability to record rpm for the sake of clutching.

I would like some layers. Really, having an aerial, topo or hybrid as the only one would suffice. Let's shade slopes 25-45° for avalanche info. A compass too.

They have the technology since their side x side displays seem pretty great. It would be awesome to see where my friends are or be able to control my GoPro from the display but perhaps that is a next gen sled thing

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I use the GPS and bread crumb trail more than I thought I would. Especially when its snowing crazy in the mountains and you cant hardly see to get back to the truck and your on fumes;)

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I have had the standard gauge for many years on a couple of different sleds so I thought I would try the PIDD this year. I really like it. The GPS is pretty good for the areas we have ridden so far. it looks a lot like the ride command maps. Being used to the Garmin Montana 450T I didn't think I would like the PIDD as much as I do. I also find the bluetooth to my Google Pixel XL a nice feature.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The PIDD is a great addition and i have it on mine, but it is not worth near what they charge for it. I use it sometimes in the worst conditions as it is easier to follow since it is in front of you on the sled and is not necessary to get the GPS out to stay on track in the fog or heavy snow.

I have been testing out the Backcountry Navigator TOPO GPS this season (a $12.99 app on google play store). It is FAR better than the PIDD and just a fraction of the cost. This app is installed on a phone (GPS enabled) which is not mounted in front of you like the gauge is, but could be mounted on the handlebars i suppose with some way to keep it warm (phones don't like freezing temps).

Interestingly enough, it also is appearing to be better than the Garmin Montana I have as well, and FAR easier to use!

Here is a link to check it out.
https://youtu.be/dYpiZm_HbGw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dYpiZm_HbGw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The PIDD is a great addition and i have it on mine, but it is not worth near what they charge for it. I use it sometimes in the worst conditions as it is easier to follow since it is in front of you on the sled and is not necessary to get the GPS out to stay on track in the fog or heavy snow.

I have been testing out the Backcountry Navigator TOPO GPS this season (a $12.99 app on google play store). It is FAR better than the PIDD and just a fraction of the cost. This app is installed on a phone (GPS enabled) which is not mounted in front of you like the gauge is, but could be mounted on the handlebars i suppose with some way to keep it warm (phones don't like freezing temps).

Interestingly enough, it also is appearing to be better than the Garmin Montana I have as well, and FAR easier to use!

Here is a link to check it out.
https://youtu.be/dYpiZm_HbGw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dYpiZm_HbGw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't go as far as to see better than the montana. Mine has topo and other info I can not get on the PIDD. I am just saying I don't miss it for what I have been doing on the sled so far. The montanna is a little easier to name waypoints and tracks as well because it has the touch screen.

S
Sep 13, 2020
I have a 2017 pro s 800 axis with 1342 miles on it. I have a chance to buy a second hand pidd gauge off a pro rush reading 1000 miles. Will this just plug and play? Do I need any acct info

I
I have a 2017 pro s 800 axis with 1342 miles on it. I have a chance to buy a second hand pidd gauge off a pro rush reading 1000 miles. Will this just plug and play? Do I need any acct info

I've been looking into it, and it appears it should be plug and play with the appropriate harness kit from Polaris, but you MAY need a battery for it. My sled has ES so the battery thing isn't a big deal for me, but there may be other ways of installing without a battery required that I haven't come across yet. I'm new the the Axys platform, and just starting to learn about them myself.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I've been looking into it, and it appears it should be plug and play with the appropriate harness kit from Polaris, but you MAY need a battery for it. My sled has ES so the battery thing isn't a big deal for me, but there may be other ways of installing without a battery required that I haven't come across yet. I'm new the the Axys platform, and just starting to learn about them myself.
Polaris did sell a power-up kit that allowed the GPS / PIDD to stay on for non-estart sleds, not sure if they still sell it, there are probably aftermarket versions of it too.

Premium Features