• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Jacket / Engine Wrap

kinneyt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Wing, MN
I see various posts about different Engine Jackets, some are mass produced and others are homemade.
Hoping this can be the one place to channel all of that great information in to one thread.
Please post what you use, what you like, what you dislike and if you were to do it again what would you change.

Ready Set Go!

Systems I know of:
Moto-365 http://www.moto-365.com/
Power Sports Tech http://www.powersportstech.com/

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I have a PST jacket for my 17’ 450sxf. I really like the jacket. I made a few jackets for buddies last season with trucker tarp, grommets, and ball bungie cords. The ball bungies are easy to shorten, so I started with long ones and adjusted them for fit. My buddies jackets were unscathed after the season. They were low count beer projects and very affordable.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Here's one more company: http://driftersproducts.com/product-category/moto-snow-bike/

I've been leaning towards the drifters this year, made my own out of kevlar fabric and it just ended up getting soaked after a few rides. I like the PST but its a pretty large price jump. I think its $210 with the cold weather thing. I think for the upper gromets I'd used bungees like on the PST on the drifters just for ease.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I also make engine blankets, mine are insulated and have an internal pocket built in to dry goggles or gloves on the exhaust side. They roll up or down for different temperature conditions.

At this point I only custom fit each one so they fit perfect. This requires the bike on my bench for a full day to make a set.

Crazy carpet is a way cheaper solution, I'm more than the PST's

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
My dad is running the drifters engine blanket not to bad for the price.. i went to a upholstery place here in town and bought some heavy duty vinyl that was just about the same as the drifters stuff and made my own. Went to home depot and bought a ring punch kit.. turned out awesome and was super cheap..

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I ordered an sxs plastic guard for the yz250 might not cover the most but I think it will do the job... I like the access to the bike..... I also have a pst but sometimes I think it is hard to access the bike... But I am lazy;) Sxs had the skidplate integrated and you still need one with the pst.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
DIY all the way! Bought a couple yards of waterproof nomex on eBay (~$10), wife sewed them up, ball bungees, and a skid plate over the outside for a little abrasion resistance! Mine (YZ) is ultra ghetto- I zip-tied a cut up Rubbermaid tote to the front/bottom for a snow shield/skid plate. Worked like a champ all season!!!

IMG_0193.jpg IMG_0137.jpg IMG_0138.jpg

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
DIY all the way! Bought a couple yards of waterproof nomex on eBay (~$10), wife sewed them up, ball bungees, and a skid plate over the outside for a little abrasion resistance! Mine (YZ) is ultra ghetto- I zip-tied a cut up Rubbermaid tote to the front/bottom for a snow shield/skid plate. Worked like a champ all season!!!

I used that same material but it seemed to loose its water repellent feature part way into the season and I didn't ride that many times. Seemed like sometimes it just retained the water. Wish I could just figure out the material PST uses ha. Making one wasn't all that hard, got the hole punch and grommet thing at harbor freight.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I went the homemade route.

Picked up some good, heavy cotton duck material from Joanne fabrics, got the grommets and ball / loop bungees from Harbor Freight. Around $20 in materials. Enough to make three full covers even with doubling over the fabric to make it more durable. Rode all last season with no issues. Made a new one for this season just so I could add a few features and still have enough fabric left over for a spare.

Was concerned about it holding moisture as well. Coated both sides with "camp dry" spray prior to installation and re-applied once during the season. Between that and the heat from the motor, it stayed dry and in good condition.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I ordered an sxs plastic guard for the yz250 might not cover the most but I think it will do the job... I like the access to the bike..... I also have a pst but sometimes I think it is hard to access the bike... But I am lazy;) Sxs had the skidplate integrated and you still need one with the pst.
Pics
240415ac7ff589c03d64f61f41df4a70.jpg
adbcbcb41347638a90ba1628effcb749.jpg
4754554c164a5c0d3a92426cd5f8efae.jpg
29dfbe8bab009b53394073b37320c0aa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2008

I looked on their site and they don't list it for the yz250 which you've obviously got. Was it a custom deal or do they just not have it up on their site?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Mine was the first... If you email him they have it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Flame retarded canvas. Cheap and easy to add grommets. Plus won't burn down your bike if it touches your pipe.

Kell

J
May 24, 2017
I'm wondering if anyone has tried leather. You can put a sealant on the leather so it's waterproof. I'm not sure how it would hold up being against the pipe though.

B
I ordered my engine jacket from PST/PowerSportsTech yesterday and got the cold weather cover for another $20. Jacket is $195, the cover that goes up over the top starboard side of the motor was another $20.

I like that one can adjust the cover depending on the conditions and that I didn't have to make it myself.

The guy I had ordered from was great to chat with and he said that others should be able to order online in a month or so but for now, just call.

The only things I need to order are a wheel kit and maybe a brand new helmet.

Premium Features