• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will a sled deck fit on a compact truck?

H

Hillclimber

Jan 10, 2008
Colorado
I have been debating about which used truck to get for around town driving and snowmobiling close to home.
I have my 05 Crew Cab long bed diesel F350 for pulling the enclosed trailer for those long weekend trips, but was thinking I'd get something more efficient for a daily driver and purchasing a sled deck for the back. (It would be nice to have room for 2 sleds.)

I'd like to get a Toyota Tacoma V6, will a deck fit or do I need another full size truck? I'm not too knowledgable on the decks...
Thanks in advance,
HC

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The deck might fit, but pay attention to the GVWR. You'll be surprised what you find. I wouldn't even consider it if you already have a 1 ton.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I would buy yourself something really nice for mileage and put a deck on the 1 ton. You will find that most half ton picks will be over the GVWR with a deck and two sleds. But a Toyota Tacoma V6 with a nice two place alum. trailer would work well.

Just a thought.

H

Hillclimber

Jan 10, 2008
Colorado
Thanks, I wasn't even thinking about the GVWR, I've just used to hauling whatever I want.

I'm in a kind of a bind, and it's not like I'm whining and complaining with this economy, it's a nice problem to have...

One of my employees is plowing with my regular cab f250 for the winter, the good news is it opens up my days for more sledding. Bad news it was my daily driver.
I also need to give my trusty old 93 4x4 regular cab tacoma to another employee for the winter, there goes the backup, daily driver.

I didn't really want to make my f350 the daily ride or carry a sledbed cause I like to keep it clean and dry in the garage and have it ready for weekends and long trips. Squeezing the 350 in the 9 feet garage door with a bed on would be a chore.

One option I've found would be to get a 99 f250 with a 9' dump/flat bed and a plow as a back-up plow truck and convert that into the sled deck with a custom ramp and a superclamp fitting.

Another idea for about the same money is to get an 05, Tacoma extra cab, stuff the 156 Nytro in the back and ride solo to the trailhead or buy a flatbed trailer and clutter up the driveway.
Decisions, decisions...
I'd like to hear your thoughts.

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
I think there is a market for single sled decks for 1/2 ton and midsize trucks. It could sit just above the bed floor and the ramp slides underneath, keeping the weight low. These would be fairly inexpensive and simple units that would sure be handy.

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
just get a tacoma and a ramp and drive with one sled. no way the compact trucks are gonna handle 2 sleds and a deck. way to much weight.

O
Oct 19, 2008
I have an 06 Tacoma and have been looking around for a single sled deck. I think that there totally is a market for this kind of deck.

An aluminum 2 sled open trailer is perfect to pull, but a single sled in the box would be way nicer when it is just me.

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
i have a 2006 tacoma and i just stuff my sled in the back. it doesnt sit completley level, as the wheel wells are just a hair to narrow, but it works fine. Make sure the the tailgate tsb it done, or else it will bend.

When i need to haul more i use a 2 place open, and the taco pulls it just fine.

i get get pics if you want them.....

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
i have a 2006 tacoma and i just stuff my sled in the back. it doesnt sit completley level, as the wheel wells are just a hair to narrow, but it works fine. Make sure the the tailgate tsb it done, or else it will bend.

When i need to haul more i use a 2 place open, and the taco pulls it just fine.

i get get pics if you want them.....

I have a Toyota V-6 - I'd like to see pic's of one in the rear. What did you do to your tailgate? I bent mine a little when loading a fairly heavy motorcycle...Thax...

H

Hillclimber

Jan 10, 2008
Colorado
I think there is a market for single sled decks for 1/2 ton and midsize trucks. It could sit just above the bed floor and the ramp slides underneath, keeping the weight low. These would be fairly inexpensive and simple units that would sure be handy.

From what I have been hearing, a single deck to fit mid sized trucks might be a good seller. Any deck companies listening?

I rode yesterday with a buddy in his new 1500 Dodge, with the aluminum deck and 2 sleds that sucker looked like a low rider.

Narrowing down the list to another tacoma or 3/4 ton.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I just bought such an item from a local aluminum fab guy. They are extremely popular around here, because lots of the riding is close by and trailers are a PITA when you have a perfectly good truck bed. Comes with really beefy materials, nice ski guides, superclamp if you like, ramp, and all the plywood, pins, etc. If it's a Tacoma or narrower truck, he builds a little frame underneath it to get it above the wheel wells.

The company's name is Alfab manufacturing in Nelson BC where I bought mine, would definetly recommend. I could get you guy's the name and phone # if you PM me

I did the trailer thing, the bent tailgate thing, the no ramp lifting it into the back after a long day thing....this is lightyears better.

Last edited:
T
Dec 6, 2004
I just bought such an item from a local aluminum fab guy. They are extremely popular around here, because lots of the riding is close by and trailers are a PITA when you have a perfectly good truck bed. Comes with really beefy materials, nice ski guides, superclamp if you like, ramp, and all the plywood, pins, etc. If it's a Tacoma or narrower truck, he builds a little frame underneath it to get it above the wheel wells.

The company's name is Alfab manufacturing in Nelson BC where I bought mine, would definetly recommend. I could get you guy's the name and phone # if you PM me

I did the trailer thing, the bent tailgate thing, the no ramp lifting it into the back after a long day thing....this is lightyears better.

Nice to hear someone has started making these commercially. Guys have been building these for years out of 2x4's and plywood for their compacts.

Premium Features