• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the Best, Lightest, most Compact Tree Saw

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I picked up a "Coglins" (?) saw from the army-navy surplus store this summer. Looks to be pretty solid, sharp as all hell, and it folds up nicely. We'll see how well it works.

One thing I don't like about it now is the fact that it doesn't lock closed.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
snobunje makes a really good tree saw it's 19.95

1021_M.jpg

http://www.firstplaceparts.com/mm5/...ore_Code=FPP&Product_Code=1021&Category_Code=

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
I picked up a "Coglins" (?) saw from the army-navy surplus store this summer. Looks to be pretty solid, sharp as all hell, and it folds up nicely. We'll see how well it works.

One thing I don't like about it now is the fact that it doesn't lock closed.

If you have a Ace Hardware store around they make a nice little folding one that works great...we ride the trees a lot and I bet I used mine a half a dozen times last year.

W
Aug 20, 2008
utah
I've never carried one myself, but got into a couple sticky situations last year. The guys I was with had a couple Tree Saws with them and I was amazed how well and fast they worked.
So what's the best one to carry?

rei has a good selection that where i got min also 20 bucks but you wont have to order it

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Snowbungie here. Carried one for quite awhile. Use it all the time, damn trees. You would be surprised how big a tree you can cut down with one of these. :)

I was surprised last year. I thought they were crazy and next thing I new we had fire wood instead of a road block.

Some of the HMK shovels have them built right in. Excellent shovel and a functional saw for the rare times when you have to go logging.

Rob, my wife has the (PINK) shovel you speak of and I think it will be a good saw. My shovel has an Ice Saw in it. So I'll just pack a wood saw separate.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have a saw that coils up like MMsports above. It's a chainsaw type chain with loops on the ends. I think it says Winchester on it.

Those things are SHARP they cut VERY well.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
sven saw. sharp, quick, folds down into small size. http://www.svensaw.com/

replaceable blade

I got one of these that i velcro to my clutch cover and i carry one of those small folding saws like the sno bunjie. My thought is if you were to have to spend the night out those folding saws would not be able to cut large branches and you would end up cutting wood all night.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i got a pretty nice one at the local building supply center/ hardware store, the thing is SUPER sharp, strong as can be, and lasts when used a lot, i must have cut a couple cords down last winter playing in the tigh trees.

cant imagine riding without one.... i think i might try something like that chainsaw one, grab an old blade from around the house, sharpen it and make some handles, would be good for the bigger trees and the ones under load so you dont snap a blade.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Walmart has them for cheap, their a fold style, and when their new they can cut through anything!

Premium Features