• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

access restrictions in our future?

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
oh man... So now everyone might end up being affected. something was bound to happen eventually. I knew the government was in talks about this problem already.. I guess it could be a good thing if it is done right..

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
They can put in all the regs they want....BC is a big place with few people. There aren't enough cops to patrol the highways, let alone police backcountry skiers and snowmobiliers. Government branches like parks and rec have been devastated by budget cuts in recent years, and are running with below minimal staff. So they'll talk big about regulation, but enforcing is another story.

Knowing BC, I would think that licencing is far more likely. For example a few years ago they implemented mandatory boat operator licences....not likely that you'll get caught, but the threat is enough that most people go do the test and get the card. Maybe if this was required of snowmobiliers, something on that test would hit home?? Not sure....likely wouldbe another money grab for the gov with no real results.

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
this sucks, i feel bad for all of the people that were there at turbo hill and their families.

the media has made snowmobilers(us, meaning you and i) to be unedjucated slobs, ignoring warnings, and putting people at risk.

if you look at those comment sections from the stories in winter brews post, people think snowmobiling isn't even a sport, no athleticism involved one bit. but the truth is that it is just like any other sport in the world, it can be as easy /hard, safe/dangerous as you want to make it based on your own skill level.

this tragic occurence has put a huge damper on the snowmobiling world along with a major black eye for everyone to criticize and pass judgment on.

i hope people are able to see it was everyone's own risk to be there, just like in every avalanche warning you ever read before you go out, each group or individual must make their own area and time specific evaluation of stability in snowpack.

as said in the revy avalanche thread everyone came together and made the biggest rescue effort possibe and if it werent for them it could have been way worse.

rip to the deceased, and i hope everyone injured makes a full and speedy recovery.

i also hope this doesnt make more regulations and restrictions for people who enjoy the sport of snowmobiling, whether it be trail riders to hillclimbers.

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
I hope not! Education, absolutely. Access restrictions, absolutely not.

I spent this morning reading the avy thread. The first hand information from survivors is interesting and telling. It is interesting in the fact that there were so many prepared with the avalanche survivor essentials. It is telling in that the immediate rescuers were prepared and so quickly were able to direct, search, and save so many.

As time transpires after this tragedy I think what we'll learn is that the snowmobile community IS taking steps to be more aware and prepared. I read that OregonGirl is planning on writing a blog about the Turbo Avy. I can't help but be encouraged to see how it evolves and the discussion it provokes.

P

PaulWatt

Jan 15, 2008
Everyone in the snowmobile community is going to have to work together to prevent restrictions from becoming a reality here (in BC). We should email or phone our local MLAs and tell them that there should be no restrictions on public travel in Crown Lands. Justin Trudeau (a Quebec MP) has been defending our right to travel on the radio for the last few days on the radio. He seems to be the only politician with any guts so far. Kash Heed, the BC Minister of Public Safetey, says he'll bring in snowmobile regulations "to prevent things like this from happening".
You can contact your local MLA through this link: http://www.leg.bc.ca/Mla/3-1-1.htm

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
There are no travel restrictions or requirements for backcountry skiing/boarding, snowshoeing, ice climbing, mountaineering, etc. Why then should there be restrictions on snowmobiling?

P

PaulWatt

Jan 15, 2008
There are no travel restrictions or requirements for backcountry skiing/boarding, snowshoeing, ice climbing, mountaineering, etc. Why then should there be restrictions on snowmobiling?

There shouldn't be, but all you have to do is look south across the border to see how sled travel can be restricted.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Everyone in the snowmobile community is going to have to work together to prevent restrictions from becoming a reality here (in BC). We should email or phone our local MLAs and tell them that there should be no restrictions on public travel in Crown Lands. Justin Trudeau (a Quebec MP) has been defending our right to travel on the radio for the last few days on the radio. He seems to be the only politician with any guts so far. Kash Heed, the BC Minister of Public Safetey, says he'll bring in snowmobile regulations "to prevent things like this from happening".
You can contact your local MLA through this link: http://www.leg.bc.ca/Mla/3-1-1.htm

Interestingly enough, Justin's brother Michel Trudeau was killed in an avalanche while ski touring on a well used trail in Kokanee Glacier provincial park...about 30 minutes from my house in interior BC.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
They can put in all the regs they want....BC is a big place with few people. There aren't enough cops to patrol the highways, let alone police backcountry skiers and snowmobiliers. Government branches like parks and rec have been devastated by budget cuts in recent years, and are running with below minimal staff. So they'll talk big about regulation, but enforcing is another story.

i agree 100%. there is no way that the government would be able to police and enforce any regulations. to all the people that whine about taxpayer dollars being spent on rescue efforts, just try totaling up the cost of policing a sport like snowmobiling.

and on that note, aside from the rcmp resources, arn't all search and rescue members volunteers? arn't they mainly made up of fellow snowmobilers? i remember reading an interview with mike weigle about how his helicopters operate on his dollar during a search, not the taxpayers dollar.

aside from all this talk about money though, this is just one more example of our freedoms being eroded, and the uneducated public swallows it because its sugar coated with the guise of "safety". i for one, will not conform to any new regulation.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Kind of a silly request, but our local paper (close to Revy) has a poll going on whether or not snowmobile access in the backcountry should be regulated. If you have a spare minute, throw your vote in so we don't get TOTALLY run over by the local ski/green squakers...

Poll is on the left no email or signup required:

http://www.nelsondailynews.com/section/nelson03

I've ridden in Canada. I voted.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
jay

Is the kootenay mountain culture just human sports people. or do they accept all mountain sports in the kootenays?

I know nelson is a very green town. so just curious.

tim
Sorry Tim, are you referring to the "Kootenay Mountain Culture" Magazine? Or just asking if motor sports people in Nelson get along with the human sports people?

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I was hearing about the culture before i ever saw the mag. So i was not referring to the mag. But more than likely referring to the general people who make up that culture.

so how do the 2 sides get along?

I have spent alot of time in the kootenays sledding, mountain biking and whitewater kayaking.
tim

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i voted. pretty scary results.... 49% of people are FOR governement regulation. what the hell is wrong with people!? at least there is also 49% against :face-icon-small-hap

the kootneys are a backcountry free-for-all. sure, there are catskiing and heli sking outfits trying to earn a buck in the backcountry, so there are a few clashes here and there. but there is plenty of room for all mountain sports out here. more and more people are catching on to the concept of snowmoboarding and skiing, so i think we are going to see much more acceptance as these sports become more of a hybrid.

P
Nov 14, 2009
If 'they' restrict backcountry access to snowmobiles to prevent more possible deaths due to avy's, then 'they' better look at restricting boating access near coastal areas due to the possibility of death occurring from tsunami's or dangerous tidal waves etc! Whether it's on the mountain, or on the ocean, Mother Nature can always throw something at us, and we just have to know how to deal with it, and removing us completely from the equation is not the answer. How about sky diving, or hang gliding.....high risk sports too, maybe we should all just wrap ourselves in pillows and stay in our bubbles.:mmph:

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I was hearing about the culture before i ever saw the mag. So i was not referring to the mag. But more than likely referring to the general people who make up that culture.

so how do the 2 sides get along?

I have spent alot of time in the kootenays sledding, mountain biking and whitewater kayaking.
tim

Generally speaking, the 2 sides get along very well because most that live here are so easy going. In recent years, I have seen many skiiers and snowboarders buying sleds for access...and liking it enough to just go sledding as well. As far as backcountry usuage, there is so much terrain that the 2 sides almost never meet in the bush. If you meet up with someone from the "other side" in the backcountry, it's always a friendly encounter in my experience. The only poor exchange I have ever had in the backcounty was, strangely enough, from an American skiier (staying at a cat ski outfit) who scolded me for the smell of my snowmobile in a parking lot shared by snowmobiliers and said cat ski place.

The "green" side is definetly the more vocal side. They range from new-age yuppy greenies who think they are "greener" than snowmobiliers because they go heli-skiing instead. To the more hard core crowd, many of which not only preach, but also giving up modern comforts, machinery and (in many cases) full-time employment for a more simple ski-bum type lifestyle.

Locally, we butt heads a lot more on issues regarding new city and infrastructure developments than recreation. The working-man crowd would love to see more local jobs and money for their children, the other crowd has a large percentage getting their money from the dope industry, rich parents, part-time work and E.I, so they would rather everything stay status quo. Those debates are much more frequent and heated than anything regarding motor/no-motor sports.

There is really a ton of outdoor recreation of all types, and most of it is so inter-twined it's hard to seperate who's on which side. The areas for motor/non-motor sports have been the same for many years....if that were to change, I think you would awaken a lot of people who usually keep to themselves.

Jason

Premium Features