• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idaho no longer reciprocates stickers!!!

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
Just a quick reminder that Idaho Montana and Washington no longer reciprocates or acknowledges each others state registrations. This actually has been in place for a few years now. So if you plan on coming to North Idaho from out of state, you will need to purchase a non-resident license/sticker. They are the same price as residence stickers, $31.50 There will be more emphasis patrols in Bonner County Idaho this year.. Priest Lake, Roman Nose, Trestle Creek areas. 80% of this registration fee comes back to the area designated when you fill out your paper work for their groomer fund. So help support the areas your ride.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Total BS registration from one state should be good in all just like a car! Would rather never see a groomed trail, it keeps the masses away. Keep grooming for around resorts and back east...

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Road use funds is payed by gas/fuel tax, trail use funds(grooming,building trails, clearing , maintaining) is payed by state registrations for snowmobiles. That's why every state requires a sticker.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Honestly......it really isn't that big a deal but it would be nice if a portion of the funds would go to assisting with keeping areas open and fighting the environmental Nazis!!!

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
ut doesn't reciprocate either , it is ridiculous. what if these government clowns did this with autos ? they wouldn't because they know it would effect commerce ,some how they don't think of people who recreate as beneficial to there economies .

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Total BS registration from one state should be good in all just like a car! Would rather never see a groomed trail, it keeps the masses away. Keep grooming for around resorts and back east...

Not me! I am VERY thankful for well maintained and groomed trails, and will gladly pay a little extra for this benefit. Nothing better than riding backcountry all day and being able to haul butt down the trail back to the parking lot. It's a real pain in the arse if one has to ride whoops for miles back . . .been there, done that! No thanks! :)

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Honestly, the price of the stickers is incredibly inexpensive compared to up here. 20-30 bux is peanuts for a year's worth of groomed exit points.

You'll pay $20-25 PER DAY in BC for a pass. Or buy a yearly pass for ~200 PER CLUB.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Not me! I am VERY thankful for well maintained and groomed trails, and will gladly pay a little extra for this benefit. Nothing better than riding backcountry all day and being able to haul butt down the trail back to the parking lot. It's a real pain in the arse if one has to ride whoops for miles back . . .been there, done that! No thanks! :)

I'm with you. Nothing worse then a day of playing to have to ride 3' whoops miles back to the truck.

A
May 31, 2013
Utah does honor Idaho stickers

Looking at this Utah does not honor Idaho stickers.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/off-highway-vehicles/non-resident-ohv-permits/

ut%20sled%20tags_zps0cfcuqgp.png
[/URL][/IMG]

srw

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It must have been reinstated this season. I tried to buy one last year from Wellers at Kamas and was told that with a current ID sticker I didn't need UT one.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Honestly, the price of the stickers is incredibly inexpensive compared to up here. 20-30 bux is peanuts for a year's worth of groomed exit points.

You'll pay $20-25 PER DAY in BC for a pass. Or buy a yearly pass for ~200 PER CLUB.

??? I have never ridden in the US, so all trails are groomed? Must be nice. I have never paid anything in BC, we have no groomed trails in my area. So who decides which trails are groomed? Sounds like a tax where the many pay so a few can have groomed trails?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
let me say this the trails in ut and idaho are pretty bad and the way government works paying more taxes doesn't usually change anything . so all this ill pay more for better trail grooming falls flat .

Last edited:

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Idaho charges for tags on all snowmobiles that are ridden within the state, whether they are on a groomed trail, or not. At least, that is the way the law is written. There is no reciprocity with other states. So, in turn, an Idaho sticker on a sled in any other state is invalid and the local (state you are visiting) sticker needs to be purchased.
Presently, some areas of Idaho ask for snowmobile stickers to be purchased by every user. This includes skiers, snowshoers, dog sleds, and hikers. If they use the trail and parking lot they are asked to pay their fare share. Fortunately, there has not been a lot of push-back and folks are agreeable. We'll see how things go and hopefully this will offset the added expense of enlarging parking lots and grooming more often.
Basically, if you play - you pay. By the way, what are the cost of snowmobile tags in New Hampshire, Minnesota, Vermont, Massachusetts, or any other eastern states? Just curious.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Just so people know...in all years previous, at Lolo Pass, they will accept either Montana or Idaho if you stay on the groomed trails.

Is it still that way or has that now changed also?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
$10.00 for resident snowmobile registration in South Dakota. In comparison it costs me $31.00 to register an ATV and $22.00 for a homemade 5X8 utility trailer. SD also is one of the few states that honor other states snowmobile registrations.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Idaho charges for tags on all snowmobiles that are ridden within the state, whether they are on a groomed trail, or not. At least, that is the way the law is written. There is no reciprocity with other states. So, in turn, an Idaho sticker on a sled in any other state is invalid and the local (state you are visiting) sticker needs to be purchased.
Presently, some areas of Idaho ask for snowmobile stickers to be purchased by every user. This includes skiers, snowshoers, dog sleds, and hikers. If they use the trail and parking lot they are asked to pay their fare share. Fortunately, there has not been a lot of push-back and folks are agreeable. We'll see how things go and hopefully this will offset the added expense of enlarging parking lots and grooming more often.
Basically, if you play - you pay. By the way, what are the cost of snowmobile tags in New Hampshire, Minnesota, Vermont, Massachusetts, or any other eastern states? Just curious.
There is a bill being introduced in the Idaho legislature this session that, will require all users to buy a registration. So for the 2018-19 season, it is likely that, fat tired bikes, mushers, xcountry skiers, snowshoers, any tracked vehicle, that use groomed trails, will be required to buy a registration.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Premium Features