• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how much difference does a head make at altitude?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
some are claiming more hp than others. some are 5-7, some are 8-11 it is hard to say.
But what I can say is that with a head at 9,000 or 10,000 ft your sled sill start better. Also generally runs better, how much better is a ?? largely dependent on clutching, belt alignment etc.

Then couple a head with a single pipe or piston kit or boyseen reeds or some other type of small mod you will generally see better results.

P

portaboy

Feb 18, 2009
you would notice it

If you changed the head on that thing i know you would notice it
Just make sure you put the right domes in it for the elevation you ride in
If you do that it will start and run better.
Another thing you can do is change your pilot jets to 22.5 that seems to give them a little more gas at the bottom end just a suggestion

M
Dec 1, 2007
Is there anything simple that i can do to wake this sled up at elevation? My clutching was stock with the clickers on 6. I was pulling 8300 on the tach but i don't know if that means the clutching was good just because i hit my target RPM's. Is there a magic clutch set-up? ........thanks!!!!

B
Sep 19, 2008
Maple Creek
i did a rkt head, crank shop pipe / y pipe, delta reeds, and a dynamo joe clutch kit. i love it, it is very snappy and best of all it holds rpms. back shift is incredible. i can not be happier with the performance of my sled. it works in every place i've rode this year ( revy, fernie, cranbrook, forrester, bugga boos, and radium ). try it, you'll like it.

H
Nov 30, 2007
Hardin, MT
head

I put on a engine tech 3000-6000 ft head and it will pull 1.2 grams more weight in my team setup. I ride 10000ft but I wanted a head that I could ride any where. Talk to Art a Engine tech and tell him Joe from Montana said to call. Also I put on his thermo housing. Expensive but now the temp sensor does not retard the timing.

Premium Features