• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Fogging for Summer Storage?

B
Dec 9, 2008
Hi all,

I have 2 older sleds that I need to put away for the Summer...

'99 RMK 700
'96 Indy 500

NOOB QUESTION:

What is the best way to get at the carburetors to spray
fogging oil through them to lube the engine internals?

The airboxes on these has foam that's in the way, etc.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I had a 2000 RMK. I would turn fuel valve off, let engine run till it ran all the gas out of carbs and dies. Drain the sediment tubes at base of carb bowls. The Polaris manual says to pour 1 oz (shot glass) of 2 cycle oil into each cylinder, and pull the rope a couple times to circulate oil through engine. I've had others tell me they just spray fogging foam inside the cylinders. You would think that the manufacturers would have a specific, step-by-step process called out for this. Instead, lots of "home remedies";)

B
Dec 9, 2008
Good stuff dudes.

The fogging oil also needs to be sucked in
through the carbs to coat the crank bearings.

Just wondering if someone has a good technique
to get to the carbs without disassembling the
airbox, etc.

BRAAAPPP!!! :D :beer; :beer; :beer;

C
Jan 23, 2009
st james mn
Pull the air box off of both and turn the gas off. Start it up and spray the oil into the carbs going from one side to the other. I do it that way until the carbs run out of fuel.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I do:

1.) Stabil in the fuel and run motor long enough so it makes it thorugh the fuel line line to the carbs then run carbs dry by turning fuel switch to off.
2.) Drop some oil in the cylinders and pull rope a couple of times.
3.) I also cover both sleds with a tarp to keep sun damage to the cover and exposed plastic like the skis to a minimum and keep summer moisture off the sled but leave room for circulation so moisture doesnt collect.
4.) although condensation is a concern, I store with low level of fuel in the tank and fill with fresh gas in December and a bottle of HEAT to absorb any water/condensation that may have collected over the summer.
5.) i dont hesitate to use starting fluid in December if necessary.
6.) clear away the bees nest and grease up the grease fittings and let 'er rip

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
yeah, just fire it up once or twice a month.... that's all i do

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Summerization.

Stabil in the fuel tank.
Run sled till it's warmed up and the stabil has been run thru the system (about 15 minutes).
Turn off sled.
Pull airbox.
Start the sled.
Shoot engine fog into one carb then the other. Use LOTS of it.
Fog it till the engine dies.
Put the air box back.
pull plugs.
Shoot a lot of fogging oil into each plug hole.
with the plugs out, slowly pull the engine over a few times. This coats the sleeves.
Replace spark plugs.
Drain sediment line.
Pull secondary and greese jackshaft.
Grease every zerk on the sled.
raise the back end off the trailer/floor, losen the track tension.
pull the rear torque spring and let it hang.
Shoot some lube into the throttle line.

call it a season.
I don't never bothered to drain the carbs because stabil stops the buildup of gunk.
I did this for over 6k miles on my 01 800. Never had a problem.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
On my sleds i change the chaincase oil, grease all the things that need grease, put stabil in the tank and run it. Then fog the engine. I spray into motor untill it dies, pull the plugs and spray it there pull the rope and put new plugs in and let it sit.

T
I use Sea-Foam instead of sta-bil. It seams to work better for me. As far as oil in the bearings a trick you can use is remove the plugs and jack up the front of the sled to keep the oil from running out the exhaust port,head tilted alittle to the back of the sled, make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke and pour a ounce or so into each cly. and the oil will run down the transfer ports into the case. then after doing both jugs roll it over with the pull rope with the plugs out. bottom end is pickled. I do like starting every month though as rollers in bearings don't sit in the same place all year and problems are sometimes prevented...Mice ect...

J

jols

Dec 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
I would add remove belt hang over bars. If outside block outlet pipe i seen critters try to get inside.I set the rear springs on lowest setting

Yup... i've had a mouse nestle himself right into the pipe of my 'ol '98 once. Since then I ball up some tin foil and stuff the opening. Works like a charm... just remember to pull it out upon initial start-up next season! :rolleyes:

Premium Features