• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

S/C Phazer Pushing Oil Out??

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
I just got my s/c from mpi put on my phazer and it is pushing oil out the breather hose on the new oil tank. I took the blow off valve off so their should be very little to no boost going to the motor i also put in a breather in the valve cover and didn't seem to help at all. I am going through a quart of oil in about 1.5 to 2 miles. I only have 45 miles on this sled so i am thinking i could have cracked a ring. Any info would be great.

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
This is a common problem with the S/C Phazer, I think the problem lies in the rings, I don't think they seal very well. I lessened the oil issue by pulling the breather off the valve cover and drilling out the the nipple so it has a bigger hole in it, you'll be blown away at how small it is!, then I built a catch can for it so the oil had somewhere to go. Oddly enough though, this year it hasn't blown any oil yet.

The breather nipple needs to be bigger, the pressure builds up in the engine and when it can't get out through the breather, it comes out through the tank.

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
I got a breather from mpi and it's pretty good size so I think it's breathing good. I herd it could take up to 500 miles to seat the rings. I have a jaz catch can hooked up but it's full in 1 to 2miles. The only thing I can think of would be a cracked ring or a glazed cylinder? Idk

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Anyone seen this on a Nytro? I have one in right now that hisses for about 2 seconds after shutoff out of the valve cover breather.

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
My dealer narrowed it down to the oil can from mpi. It did not breathe enough so it is just pushing it out the breather hose they looked at the pistons, rings, and cylinders and they were all perfect so that. I will let you know what they did to the oil can to make it breathe better.

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
They pulled the engine apart and check the rings, wow, that's extreme! The oil can will only make a little bit of difference, it's still building pressure in the base, when I talked Mac about this, he said that some Phazers did this and some didn't. He said it might fix itself once they get seated. It was the long non stop trips that caused me the most grief, now since i've done a bunch of short rides with lots cycling of the motor, it seems to have quit. Cross my fingers!

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
They pulled the engine apart and check the rings, wow, that's extreme! The oil can will only make a little bit of difference, it's still building pressure in the base, when I talked Mac about this, he said that some Phazers did this and some didn't. He said it might fix itself once they get seated. It was the long non stop trips that caused me the most grief, now since i've done a bunch of short rides with lots cycling of the motor, it seems to have quit. Cross my fingers!
I guess all it took to fix the issue was to leave the dipstick out about a turn turn and a half and it basically took care of it. Wish i would have thought of that about a month ago when i started on this project..lol Yea mpi said that all of them pretty much quit doing that once their is a couple hundred miles on it but until then i gotta have a catch can in the front of it just cuz it might push some oil out when i get the rpm's up higher. Gunna look like a dork with that catch can on their but i guess i at least get to ride it.

Premium Features