• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI 850 Turbo kit, updated specs & photos

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Christopher,

Are you saying that you have info that MPI is working directly with the Ski Doo Factory (BRP) on this turbo-offering?

Are there plans to make this a Ski-Doo Dealer offering... a factory PG&A offering.... in the near future??

Why on earth would you want to establish a brand new relationship with a large company that you have never done business with on a new engine by coming out with a "Much Stronger Kit" on day one.?

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You seem to be missing the auto boost control for elevation. The kit does run 3.5lbs at sea level but auto adjusts as you climb in altitude to 7ish lbs at 11,000ft. If you want more the electronic boost control can be recalibrated to max out at 8, 10, 12lbs whatever, that'll be the race has kit. For the majority of mountain riders, 200hp at 11,000 ft (when a stocker is maybe hitting 125hp) will be more than they can handle.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,

Are you saying that you have info that MPI is working directly with the Ski Doo Factory (BRP) on this turbo-offering?

Are there plans to make this a Ski-Doo Dealer offering... a factory PG&A offering.... in the near future??

39985229.jpg

Last edited:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would like to add that the reference to this kit being a factory Ski Doo option in my previous post is PURE SPECULATION on my part and in no way some kind of inside information I have that nobody else does. That being said, I'm sticking to my beliefs, and firmly believe that this is what MPI is shooting for.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I would like to add that the reference to this kit being a factory Ski Doo option in my previous post is PURE SPECULATION on my part and in no way some kind of inside information I have that nobody else does. That being said, I'm sticking to my beliefs, and firmly believe that this is what MPI is shooting for.
pure+spec+festival+edmonton+2012.jpg

military-move-along.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You guys almost have me talked into jumping on board before I even see one. Quit acting like Norona please ?
Can't speak for anyone else.
But I have a pretty high level of confidence that this little Turbo Kit will put a big smile on the faces of people who do NOT like to mess around with their Turbos and just want them to WORK CORRECTLY without any screwing around or constant tinkering...

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've seen and heard so many positive reviews from both sponsored riders and close friends on the BD Sidekick kits for the axys. I'm completely sold on the idea of a simple, low boost, no tinkering, gas and go kit. If this MPI performs anything like the Sidekick on the Polaris sleds, and I really think it will, it's a no brainer.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Sea level

I'd really like to see this out at sea level in Maine or Quebec. That's the turbo run terrible grounds. Not sure they have the perimeters for that as they come.....also clutching included? Or clickers on primary work?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I've seen and heard so many positive reviews from both sponsored riders and close friends on the BD Sidekick kits for the axys. I'm completely sold on the idea of a simple, low boost, no tinkering, gas and go kit. If this MPI performs anything like the Sidekick on the Polaris sleds, and I really think it will, it's a no brainer.

I agree but a lot of testing was done before they released it to the public. I am curious the ride time MPI actually has on this kit. After all the let downs I have had with the BD kit on XM's I was seriously considering getting an Axys just to run the Sidekick. Now with 2 850's in my garage, I am considering throwing one of these kits on but I would still feel more comfortable knowing that they had ALOT of time on the kit. The nice part about this kit though is that it doesn't look like you have to cut up your sled for the install. My BD sled is beyond molested to try and turn it back to stock to try and sell. I also don't want to sell some kid a sled that run's right only half the time. Plus, with the amount of money invested into the sled, I'd rather keep it for garage art...

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Im surprised more companies don't use Borg Warners EFR turbos. The throttle response of these turbos are far better for technical tree riding. Price point of $3995 on the MPI is attractive. Fred we all know you love your Impulse kit but its a lot more money. The amount of people prepared to lay out 7 k USD is limited. Looks like more and more guys are looking for 180ish at altitude smooth horsepower. The days of sitting around hill shooting is getting old for some.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I strongly suspect the "Market" for this package are the guys who would love to have an OEM Turbo on their sled from the factory (much like the new Yamaha Sidewinder).

They are not looking for BLEEDING EDGE technology that is squeezing out every last possible horsepower.

Rather, they want a simple trouble free turbo that they can go out and ride and NOT be worried about.

15027469_1264263206950619_5235499590750642620_n.jpg

H

hook

Nov 28, 2007
Ocheyedan, Iowa
I'd really like to see this out at sea level in Maine or Quebec. That's the turbo run terrible grounds. Not sure they have the perimeters for that as they come.....also clutching included? Or clickers on primary work?

What makes everyone think that a turboed sled can't run at low altitude? My pro rmk with a turbo performance kit runs 7 lbs of boost at my home in Iowa at 1500 ft and it runs 7 lbs of boost at 9000 ft at togwotee. I have the vipec on my sled and I don't change a thing from one place to the other. 7 pounds of boost is 7 pounds of boost!!

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
What makes everyone think that a turboed sled can't run at low altitude? My pro rmk with a turbo performance kit runs 7 lbs of boost at my home in Iowa at 1500 ft and it runs 7 lbs of boost at 9000 ft at togwotee. I have the vipec on my sled and I don't change a thing from one place to the other. 7 pounds of boost is 7 pounds of boost!!

7 pounds of boots at sea level is 21.7psia and 7 pounds of boost at 9000ft is like 17.2psia... Air density also plays a role in the tuning. I know for one that trying to tune a 2 stroke turbo at sea level seems to be more of a challenge than at altitude. But they are definitely making huge leaps and bounds in their ability to tune for different altitudes.

Premium Features