• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI 850 Turbo kit, updated specs & photos

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I saw that MPI posted new info on their Turbo Kits this afternoon.
I gave them a call and confirmed they will have 80-100 finished kits for delivery in the first week of December, including MINE!!

http://viper.mountainperformance.com/SKiDoo-850-200HP-TurboCharger-Kit-Complete_p_92.html

Ski-Doo 200HP Turbo Charger Kit

This200HP Kit is a “Turn Key” Turbocharger Kit for the new Ski-Doo 850 Snowmobile.
Factory quality, OEM SkiDoo appearance, 17 year track record of “second to none” quality & performance.

• 200HP at all altitudes - includes EABC (Electronic Altitude Boost Control).
  • The Entire Turbocharger Module comes pre-assembled -- Just unbolt the OEM muffler and install the complete turbo/muffler assembly (use all OEM mounting).
  • The Intake Side (AirBox, Manifolds, etc) is all Billet aluminum with o-ring seals. No hose clamps. No air boxes or throttle bodies popping off!
  • Billet Manifolds houses 2 additional 35# injectors.
  • The Entire Turbo Assembly is Stainless Steel. Including the High Flow Stock Sounding Muffler or the Lightweight Mountain Muffler.
  • The Quiet Muffler has Stainless Steel Inner Chamber. Ceramic insulation sits between the inner Stainless Chamber and the outer Aluminum Shell.
  • Uses Proven MTA / Billet GT2860RS Oil-less Turbocharger. Ceramic Ball Bearing and Billet Aluminum Turbo CHRA - Better cooling and saves weight.
  • Oversized fabricated aluminum air-box provides superior throttle response
  • Bolt-on installation in hours, not days. No fabrication required, all parts included.
  • "Sea-Level Safe" Pump Gas. Automatic Fuel Turning and Automatic Boost Control makes this "Hands-off Safe"
  • Higher HP variants & upgrades will be available.
MPI Philosophy & History:

• Before a Product is released to the customer, MPI fully tests and characterizes the product.
  • This means that we will NOT offer a product such as our 240HP kit without full durability testing and tuning.
  • The turbo side of our 240HP kit is exactly the same as the base 200 kit. BUT the 240HP kit may require simple motor upgrades. We let you know this in advance.
  • Performance must be accompanied by uncompromising quality, design, and durability.
  • All MPI products must withstand the daily use under whatever trials the enthusiast throws at us day after day without excuses.
  • MPI has been manufacturing boost kits since 2003 and 2-stroke snowmobile performance since 1999. All kits have been highly successful.
  • MPI is an OE supplier of Turbocharger kits directly to Yamaha Motor Corporation.

Quality & Reliability - The key is a multi-part formula: all pieces must be present (miss any one piece of the combination and the result is an inferior product).

• Top quality parts: Billet / MTA Turbocharger, In-house machined billet parts and In-house fabricated aluminum and stainless steel components.
  • Non-compromising design: Drawn from years of experience, education, and use of latest design software tools.
  • 17 years’ experience with snowmobiles: This is the 8th generation of our snowmobile boost products and the 4th generation of this particular 2 cylinder design.

200HP Pump Gas Kit all Altitudes:

• Sound Compliant Muffler available.
  • Lightweight Muffler Available.
  • “Drop-In Turbo Kit” – Installation is as easy as installing an exhaust can and reeds.
  • Turn Key Kit requiring no motor modifications.
  • No Tuning required on Base Kit
  • Plug & Play then Pull & GO
  • Consistent HorsePower and Performance across all altitudes. MPI’s Proven EABC (Electronic Altitude Boost Controller) does it all. Up and down hills. High & Low Barometric Changes.
  • There are no modifications to the OEM fueling. MPI’s Boost Stand-alone controller drives a special set of Injectors specifically to fuel for the added boost. Simple, Clean and NO TINKERING across all altitudes.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I like it. Looks clean. To bad that they aren't utilizing the extra injectors that sled already has on It though. Just more things to add to the machine.

Remember.
This is their Stage 1 BASIC kit.
MPI always seems to come along with a Stage 2 and a Stage 3 "Upgrade" kit at some point.

Hard for me to image that they won't be offering MORE power and an intercooler...

At least that was how they handled the OEM deal with the Yamaha Nytro/Vipers..

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
6 injectors? Dobeck controller?

Hats off to them if it runs great because that sounds complicated...

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
6 injectors? Dobeck controller?

Hats off to them if it runs great because that sounds complicated...

Dobeck 3.5 controller with electronic boost control that aids considerably to a consistent fuel tune under different elevations and barometric pressures.

It's not complicated at all. The stock fuel system is left completely alone, similar to what Impulse did with the 800 etec. The 2 extra injectors handle all the boost fuel needs. This way they aren't "fighting" each other through the fuel curve.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Impulse is by far the king with the 800 Etec, they use there own standalone fuel system, that uses five different sensors to come up with there fuel curve, and any sensor that is not working, there is a fail sense fuel curve it defaults too adding 10 percent more fuel over fuel curve..

It's using its own ecu to produce the fuel curve, the system your showing here don't look much different if any over what aero was using last year with barometric and altimeter compensation.. Yes it worked fine but far less superior from what Impuse has done to fine tune there fuel curves

Another thing I see is they say 200hp pump gas safe.. We been doing that with the smaller cc 800 for years now, ran pump fuel a entire season with out issue back, The aero days at 4 lbs with out harm or codes.. Nothing new there

I would think the teck in this new motor it should be much stronger than the older 800 was, we all been at 8lbs boost(230hp) for years now with the older Etec.. Seams strange that they are not releasing a much strong kit right off the start.. Some what disappointed in that looking for more hp

Kits looks clean thou and mpi has a decent reputation, hope the kit performs like it should for the money they want.. My Impuse so far has been a bullet and a true reliable clean strong running kit..

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Impulse is by far the king with the 800 Etec, they use there own standalone fuel system, that uses five different sensors to come up with there fuel curve, and any sensor that is not working, there is a fail sense fuel curve it defaults too adding 10 percent more fuel over fuel curve..

It's using its own ecu to produce the fuel curve, the system your showing here don't look much different if any over what aero was using last year with barometric and altimeter compensation.. Yes it worked fine but far less superior from what Impuse has done to fine tune there fuel curves

Another thing I see is they say 200hp pump gas safe.. We been doing that with the smaller cc 800 for years now, ran pump fuel a entire season with out issue back, The aero days at 4 lbs with out harm or codes.. Nothing new there

I would think the teck in this new motor it should be much stronger than the older 800 was, we all been at 8lbs boost(230hp) for years now with the older Etec.. Seams strange that they are not releasing a much strong kit right off the start.. Some what disappointed in that looking for more hp

Kits looks clean thou and mpi has a decent reputation, hope the kit performs like it should for the money they want.. My Impuse so far has been a bullet and a true reliable clean strong running kit..

You're completely right as far as Impulse's fuel controller being far superior. I know, I ran one for way longer than you have. All I said was this fueling is similar to what Impulse is doing by leaving the STOCK FUELING COMPLETELY ALONE. MPI is using the same base Dobeck controller Aero uses but with some proprietary automatic barometric compensation. So no, this kit should run nothing like the Aero kit. As far as it's horsepower numbers, this kit runs very low boost numbers. The reason for this is that this MPI kit is a pump gas safe kit for low elevation, so it will encompass ALL flatland trail riders too. Who grossly outnumber us mountain specific riders by a long shot. This is a smart move from a sales number standpoint. Trust me when I say I wish they'd offer a mountain specific setup running say 5-8 instead of the 2-6 but I would bet that is going to come along soon enough. Also remember that their ultimate goal is to mass produce these kits as a Ski Doo factory part. I believe Ski Doo has one or 2 of these kits at the factory doing EPA compliance testing as we speak. So the tendency with this initial kit is to get approved for warranty and EPA which means lower boost levels shooting for ultimate reliability.

There is no doubt in my mind Impulse and the other turbo builders will produce kits running a bit more boost and utilizing more advanced components to make some impressive hp numbers, but they will never be warrantied by Ski Doo. And they will be almost DOUBLE the price.

My opinion on how much boost this motor will be able to handle? Nobody will know that for sure until the kits are out there pushing the limits. I do think it will handle a lot more than the 800 etec will just based on how they built the crank and the cylinder/piston design. But running big boost numbers comes with a cost I'm not really willing to pay anymore. Trust me, I've ran turbos for 15 years all the way up to a 22lb Apex. You can see this lower boost trend even with the premiere builders and riders. More boost equals more maintenance... boost leaks, reed problems, fuel quality worries, wear on drivetrain parts and the list goes on. Those are all things we deal with if we have the time and patience. But the absolute biggest downfall to seeking more boost/more power is having to give up our light, quick revving, great throttle response clutching setups for the heavier, slower reacting, more lag setup. Of course if you are just pulling hills all day the big boost is fun. But with the more technical terrain most riders are riding these days, a low boost, no lag, rippy setup is infinitely more enjoyable. Even most of the Impulse guys are keeping their boost to 6-7 lbs now days. It's just more fun!

I for one, am looking forward to this super simple, clean and reliable kit for a pretty darned great price. And if it happens to be in Ski Doo's 2018 accessory catalog, Gus is going to be backpedaling faster than liberal celebrities are right now. Either way, let's all grab this winter by the *****! LOL

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Seams strange that they are not releasing a much strong kit right off the start.. Some what disappointed in that looking for more hp

Speaking just for myself here as a guy who owned a manufacturing company a few years back.

Why on earth would you want to establish a brand new relationship with a large company that you have never done business with on a new engine by coming out with a "Much Stronger Kit" on day one.?

Wouldn't it make a whole hell of a lot more sense to wade into the pool a bit more cautiously and make absolutely 100% sure all of your previous skill and technology works FLAWLESSLY to begin with and THEN offer your happy satisfied customers an upgrade path?

I would certainly start off at 6lbs and then OFFER a route to 8lbs, or an Intercooler or an Aux Injector system or....

Why start right off on the bleeding edge and invite trouble when you have no history with the company or the product.

To me, this seems a MUCH more prudent course for them to take.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
My 2¢

For me...and I'm not as talented of a rider as many of our members out there...with a turbo, it's not about max-HP... for some it is... and that is awesome...for me the point of the turbo is consistent HP at altitude.

If you think about it, the N/A engines...even this new 850... are making 130 HP, or less, at most of the altitudes we ride.... For a turbo sled at 200 hp at all but the most extreme altitudes... that is a lot of HP compared to a stock sled.

Over the years, I've wrenched on, ridden, and watched countless others with their turbo sleds... the higher HP they are... the more skill it takes to ride.. and I'm talking about true ADVANCED riders skills. The higher HP you go with, the more finicky it becomes in the tuning department, even for those that are "dialed in" from the kit builder, less flexible with changes in baro, temp, fuel etc etc.

So for the common rider, with solid riding skills, looking for a crazy good time... 180 ACTUAL HP, at whatever altitude you are riding, is plenty IMO.

Last edited:
Premium Features