• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled for my 10 year old

Cmpdman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
Utah & Texas
The whole family snowmobiles. All, except for my 10 year old who wants a sled. We've had kitty cats, the 120's and then sold them.

Here is what I'm thinking about:

Arctic Cat 120 - Anyone know if Speedworkxs still makes the 206RR. I see the kit on their website for those with an existing 120. But what about a turn key solution? I haven't seen anything advertised for a few years.

SkiDoo Renegade Adrenaline 900 ACE with the learning key.

Find a snow scoot or Freestyle.

Thoughts?
Happy Thanksgiving

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
IMO a 120 is too small for a 10year old no question. Regardless of if it's fast or modded. Especially if you want him to keep up with family rides.
Obviously you have some budget if you're talking about a Doo 900 or Freestyle. The 900 ace is going to be heavy, I'd get a newer phaser of I had to go 4s.
Freestyle is a great choice but they are scarce and overpriced IMO.
I'd look for fan cooled 2S sleds. 550 Rmk or Rev.
Seeing as there's no real 3/4 size sleds made, like the freestyle, my new ultimate kids sled would be a newer Pro ride chassis Indy 550 144.
Pro ergos are great for kids, narrow and light(comparatively).
2nd sled I'd look for would be a M5 141. Being in UT, the altitude will suck a fair amount of hp off the 500 liquid making it more like a 550 fan at sea level anyway. Plus you get efi so no jetting changes. If it's too fast you can always throw heavier weights in the clutch and that will keep the rpms down.
My kids ride an old 550 Gen II rmk and a Doo 380, both long tracked. They both prefer the stand up, forward, high seat design of my Pro or the wife's M7 and can actually handle those sleds better than their fanners even through they are much bigger and heavier.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
I agree, my twins are 10 right now and here in flat land MN I bought them a 340 fan polaris. A 120 is way to small and would maybe get them one year then they would totally out grow it. Go with a full sized, smaller engine sled. Anything of your preferred brand or anything cheap you can find. A 500 could last them through teen years also.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the old fan cooled yamahas are great for that age. and you can find some in great shape with a little patience on C.L.
an original phazer with a 1" block track and some plastic skis will put even a smile on your face. fun!

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
My 9 year old has a Yamaha Ovation 340. He had a blast on it last winter. The 108" track with little lugs was fine on the trails but limited getting off to play much. We are finishing up changing the skid to a 136" from an old Phazer with a little more lug and gearing it down. The smaller size and electric start works well for letting him be confident and independent but he could pull start it by the end of the season as well.

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
just move them up to a m5 m6 m7 or poo 600 or sdi 600 at that age. will give them more time to get use to the real sled size and last longer.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have six kids, they all went kitty at 2, 120 at four, old fan phaser at six, ages varied for the next, but then came the exciter, m-7, and at 16 my oldest rocks a m-8. Wife's on a m-8, I've lost track of mine. Oh yeah, all girls but one.
Ran all day today out of the garage.

Have three phasers and two exciters that never fail. Highest was very clean at $1200, most at $5-$800. Fast enough to run with adults on long rides.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
They Grow Up Fast!

When my son was 10 he was on a 99 XC700 121". I am not recommending going with that big it's just what we had available to us at the time for trail riding only and did a good job but he also had been riding sleds, dirt bikes, ATV's since he was 5. By the time he was 12 he was on a 2007 Switchback 600 144" EFI riding trails here and back country riding in Wyoming. Not bragging or complaining just passing on what we did. One thing for sure is they grow up fast and will be making you look silly in no time. :face-icon-small-dis And I always drilled into his head, safety, safety, safety! $.02 Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too!

C
Oct 29, 2008
My Son will be 10 in Februaryand he just came off his modded 120 last year and now I bought him a new INDY 550 FAN. He spent part of last year on a 340 as well.
He has been riding since he was 3-1/2. I will put a throttle block on it so he can't pin it wide open.
He is a smart and safe rider and this sled will last him for years. When he out uses the 550 power, I can just drop a 600 in it and good to go again for a few more years.

Cmpdman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
Utah & Texas
I grew up on a mid-eighties Yamaha phaser. Fun machines for sure. I think I'm going to pass on a 120. She would out grow it too soon. She rode one last year at Island Park for a few days and was left wanting more. And yes, it doesn't take some kids too long to start outshing us parent riders.

I'll take a closer look at the Polaris Indy 550 144. I like the size/weight/etc. I wish I could limit the throttle. That is why I was thinking the skidoo with the ACE 900/600 because they have the learning key. We have SeaDoos that have the learning key and I feel better knowing she does have full access to the throttle. I've never had a 4 stroke sled and as far as brand loyalty, we have a good mixture of Polaris & SkiDoo sleds.

Some mfg should bring back a good 3/4 sled.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Also, have a great weekend.

Last edited:
C
Oct 29, 2008
Just duct tape a small block of wood or a large nut to the handle bar behind the throttle. That way the throttle is limited.
I plan on doing this exact safety mod!

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Just picked up an older M1-600cc with electric start and reverse for my grandson. He's a big seven year old and has a couple seasons on a 120 already. Gonna soften up the primary so it takes off smoother and put a block on the throttle to limit it. Should be fine. Nay have to change to some ZR bars to make it easy to ride, we will see.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
At -4 yesterday my 6 yr old pointed out she was done with the 120 and not getting off the phaser. Hand warmers.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Kids

Started my son off on a 550 fan @ 7yrs old & regretted that choice because anything above 4500ft they're VERY sluggish. He couldn't follow me over a 20 degree hill to make it back into some meadows so he could play. If I was to do it over I would have picked anything that wasn't fan cooled & preferred efi also. Moved him to a 600 Pro last year @10 & didn't regret that move at all!
But I will say that it comes down to the maturity of the rider.... I'm very lucky to have a son that follows my directions all the time & doesn't push himself past his own limits.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
Built my 9 year old daughter this sled...she has piloted it 2 rides 2 years ago and put 200ish miles on it last year. just put a 1 1/2 paddle track and reclutched for this year and has no fear and handles it great..

FB_IMG_1449590861190.jpg FB_IMG_1449590907048 (3).jpg

Premium Features