• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anti-theft measure to prevent starting

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So I inadvertently figured out how to fire up my pull start Pro without a key in the ignition. Is this something that was known and why Polaris implemented the gauge's security feature? Or are you guys doing anything else to prevent start up (general tether can't really count) ?

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Doesn't Polaris make's an optional security system now that will let you start the sled but not get above 4000 RPM.

Pretty stupid how easy it is to get one to run without a key.At least Skidoo requires a coded tether to make them run.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Doesn't Polaris make's an optional security system now that will let you start the sled but not get above 4000 RPM.

Pretty stupid how easy it is to get one to run without a key.At least Skidoo requires a coded tether to make them run.

thats all fine and dandy until you lose/misplace your tether

M
Aug 27, 2010
Sylvan Lake
There is a security system built into guage but your dealer has to program it during PDI. Unfortunately where i snowchecked my sled they charge you EXTRA;( They didn't even tell me or the other 44 customers who snowchecked.... sled is supposed to start but not rev over 3400 rpm. Page 38 of your manual i believe.

L
Jan 29, 2010
It realy would not be hard to put some kind of toggle switch into your ignition sytem.
so she can start but not run high enough to enguage the clutch? i still dont like the idea of people playing with my motor if im not around..

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
5 dollar switch on the fuel pump feed wire works every time.

Leaning towards something like this, not interested in the gauge feature. Problem is not sacrificing back country reliability from altering electrical or mechanical systems for this start up prevention.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Wasn't that long ago and poo only had 5 keys, and cat had 2. What does poo have now, 10? Nothing wrong with simple, and I believe in personal justice. Not worrying bout the poo myself.

FWIW, DESS really does work, it can be abit quirky for a few or some drunks, but for 99% of the time, it works as advertised. Get multiple DESS keys, I have had at least 10 DESS doos since 2000, and always made them work. One key to start any or all of your sleds, too, and no one else can. But I am not a brand loyal dude. Won't buy a doo cause of DESS, but more than one stolen sled has been recovered because of it, not to mention the knowledgeable theives that avoid them now. Just sayin.

K
Wasn't that long ago and poo only had 5 keys, and cat had 2. What does poo have now, 10? Nothing wrong with simple, and I believe in personal justice. Not worrying bout the poo myself.

I think Poo still has 4 keys, as I being an idiot when I went to pick up my sled from the shop forgot the key for it. The mechanic threw me a set of 4 keys and said one will start it, and sure enough the second one I tried worked. He said they start all Poo sleds..

André

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Sweden
You only need a magnet to start a doo, put the magnet on the dess and start it.
And everyone with Dess have problems, you need almost every time to adjust the key to get the sled moving, very anoying!

Lowtech is better sometimes!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I think Poo still has 4 keys, as I being an idiot when I went to pick up my sled from the shop forgot the key for it. The mechanic threw me a set of 4 keys and said one will start it, and sure enough the second one I tried worked. He said they start all Poo sleds..

Forgot my key once, Leatheman flat screw driver and we were out a there.

Great trick there and then, no confidence builder when thinking security tho...

D
Sep 27, 2011
Ontario Canada
Forgot my key once, Leatheman flat screw driver and we were out a there.

Great trick there and then, no confidence builder when thinking security tho...
Thusly, disabling the fuel pump is a sure fired way to stop anyone from riding your sled away.

I actually use a Corvette fender alarm switch if anyone remembers those. Key locked electrical switch. I mounted one under the hood on my pro n a bracket off the left rear bumper mount and wired it into the FP power circuit.

C
Jan 5, 2012
For nearly the whole of the past ten years, the most popular vehicle for robbers to steal has been the Cadillac Escalade. To be able to curb the theft rate, Cadillac has set up a raft of brand new anti-theft features in the 2012 edition of the Escalade. In addition to that, there are other safety innovations were then added to the vehicles before, making the company a world leader. Source for this article: New security features for Cadillac Escalade aim to curb theft.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
there is a lock that pins behind the throttle closed and covers the kill switch then has a strap that goes to a clamp that goes around the track so it cant rotate.

Premium Features