• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The yamadoo is going yama-chromoly.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
im pretty sure it would take longer to make one on here to make it in soidworks then build it in real life.. i have tried to work on parts of it, but i havent taken enough classes for it, so it takes forever to even make anything out of tubes.. trust me. me and my roomate last year spent a LOT of hours just working on the tunnel (simple) and had a horrible time working on it.

also, biggest issue we are finding is we arent exactly sure what we want, so being able to see it in person is 10x easier then trying to figure out what you want.

Tubing is pretty easy on solidworks. Just draw a line and then set up a plane at the end of the line. I know it is easier in real life to piece it together. But if you had a drawing you could easily cut each piece to size and put it together. If I was to draw one up in Solidworks I would draw a regular tunnel. Which is easy enough to measure up and draw and then use it for my template to building the tube tunnel around.

Again like I said if you want a good portfolio when you get done with school, having a sled drawn up in solidworks and the actual sled built. This would be your ticket in the door at most anywhere. Alot of engineers can draw something up but ever actually building it in real life would not happen. Not trying to be a dick I am just saying.

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
Tubing is pretty easy on solidworks. Just draw a line and then set up a plane at the end of the line. I know it is easier in real life to piece it together. But if you had a drawing you could easily cut each piece to size and put it together. If I was to draw one up in Solidworks I would draw a regular tunnel. Which is easy enough to measure up and draw and then use it for my template to building the tube tunnel around.

Again like I said if you want a good portfolio when you get done with school, having a sled drawn up in solidworks and the actual sled built. This would be your ticket in the door at most anywhere. Alot of engineers can draw something up but ever actually building it in real life would not happen. Not trying to be a dick I am just saying.

this is good advice - really it is!!

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO

Agreed solidworks is pretty fun to play with and being able to show your creation to an employer would be a great resume booster. But most of our "average people builds" is we don’t know exactly what we want when we start. It takes alot of guess work to determine what fits where and what will and will not work with the engine and exhaust configurations. I know I couldn’t design my build with the software to the exact detail that I could feasible duplicate with my limited tooling. That being said I was able to use a solid works program "flow simulation" to play with my turbo build. VERY POWERFUL SOFTWARE!!! I compared about every kit out there with that simulation and had some VERY interesting results. Running that flow simulation shows in detail how air travels through the intercooler, piping etc. Change one bend a few degrees and you can see how velocity and pulses change. If certain builders were to see that information they would quickly change their designs...

Now lets see some pictures... Even if its just tubing on the floor!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Agreed solidworks is pretty fun to play with and being able to show your creation to an employer would be a great resume booster. But most of our "average people builds" is we don’t know exactly what we want when we start. It takes alot of guess work to determine what fits where and what will and will not work with the engine and exhaust configurations. I know I couldn’t design my build with the software to the exact detail that I could feasible duplicate with my limited tooling. That being said I was able to use a solid works program "flow simulation" to play with my turbo build. VERY POWERFUL SOFTWARE!!! I compared about every kit out there with that simulation and had some VERY interesting results. Running that flow simulation shows in detail how air travels through the intercooler, piping etc. Change one bend a few degrees and you can see how velocity and pulses change. If certain builders were to see that information they would quickly change their designs...

Now lets see some pictures... Even if its just tubing on the floor!!!
exactly my thoughts.. i just hover parts in the chassis to descide how big i want it etc... total guess work right now. once its built i could then transer much easier..

as for flow sim, its a VERY powerful tool that has showed me how some very simple changes can make a turbo system that "looks" efficient actually BE efficient..

anywhoo.. maybe get some pictures next time im out at the shop.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i hate to keep teasing you guys with post less pictures, but i have a certain build level I will be willing to show off... and its slowly nearing, patients my friends.

got my front bumper tacked on today.. pretty excited about it.. insane strong, clean looking, and is gonna allow for a really nice clean hood mount around the nose as well. also very nicely protecting the pipe for my 2 stroke brotha josh.

working on final descisions on how exactly we are doing up our a-arms, but think we got most of it figured out.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
wow... to much dirtbiking/partying, not enough cutting/welding!!

finally got past my mental block on the joining of the front end and tunnel joined.. a good evening of work on them and we should have something worth posting pics of!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
haha... thats why i wont sleep with you!!!

i would have a few pics up but i dont own a functional camera... so im not very worried about it. not like you have to worry about seeing it anyways. probably be one of the first to see it once its a real sled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
got all of the materials for the a-arms and steering post coming and working on getting some other stuff done up.

been stupid busy with school so not getting a ton of work done on it lately. soon enough though, soon enough.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Jesus! I want to see this beast! I'm more excited to see your sled then the pro rmk whe it got released!
well, glad you guys are as excited to see it as i am to ride it.

hard, being in college and effectively having 2 jobs, and the shop being 20 miles from my house.. takes some effort to get out there and get something done.

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
Sounds like the anticipation is killing everyone! Bahaha I'm subscribed now. What's the weight drop estimate ya think? I laughed when I saw by getting a new tank it saved ya 20# lol

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
no idea.. i guess i just dont care what it saved, just what it ends up as.. hard as i didnt start with anything nearly normal at first to drop from

and yeah, the anticipation is killing me as well, first snow on the hills and shes got lots of owrk, but parts are coming and were plugging away.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
and more teasing..

motor mounts are done.. time to mount the jackshaft and chaincase... got header and intake stuff coming in the mail and running boards are done.. most of the fab work is done, now its time to start putting parts into the chassis. then take them right back out to paint. etc.

Premium Features