• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08-'10 600r to 800/860 Conversion

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
I talked to Carl's and they told me their '08-'10 IQr 600 to 800 BB conversion just takes Dragon cylinders and slight case mods as well as needing a modified 800 pipe to fit. They said the 860 uses their aftermarket cylinders.

So what does it take for us DIYers to do this conversion?

How in depth is the case work? Is there any mandatory cylinder mods? What piston options are there? I've heard we can only get single(?) ring pistons which are of poor design. What's required for heads? Does anyone sell a similar kit for less? Carl's wants approx. $2k and $4 respectively. I would think we should be able to half those prices. Fill me in on what you know, please. :smile:

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Los of how to info in these 2 threads.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=475606

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=489290

The 860 cost is not going to change, if you want it and you have the $$$ to get it, Carls is the best option. The cylinders are from the Crankshop
, but they refer everyone to Carls for a finished kit.

http://www.thecrankshopvt.com/produ...=1349&osCsid=e4a21c96d95b089b57fde4e201d6990e

The 860 version is slightly different (taller?) due to the difference in stroke between the 700 (68mm) and 800 (70mm)

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
You can do the 800 yourself but you are not going to get the case flow characteristics and gained performace that you would from having Carls do it.

Same with the 860, Carls gets the jugs from crankshop as stated, but they are rough so Carls has many hours of porting into each cylinder and matches the cases. I am not sure of the exact hours of porting, but the 910 has around 10 hours of porting on each cylinder.

You can go cheaper, but you are not going to get the performance or the support if something were to go wrong or had issues with tuning. I would strongly reccomend that you get more information on the specifics before attempting to put together a motor yourself that requires case mods etc... IMO, save time and headache and get a product that comes with backing from one the best Polaris builders plus you get the confidence of knowing that they stand behind thier products. cheers!!

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Hudini - you make a valid point. If I could get the case mods done and find a 800 cfi motor I would just rod parts and go used. This would be just a temporary motor for me as I am working towards a 1200 w/c. If I had problems I would assume I could bolt the 600 top end back on, as long as it wasn't bottom end issues :face-icon-small-hap

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Your PM box is full snodmon.
I have what your looking for shoot me a pm and ill get you some more info.

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
I know that Carls will do your cases if you send them in or even drop the motor off. You better do it ASAP though because are going to start getting slammed. I was in today and I could smell the anticipation for motor/sled work. Wood it!!!!

Premium Features