• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tour de France

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
38 years old and still finishes 23rd.....not too bad.

He is an incredible person on and off the bike.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Those 120 mile "stages" they do in a couple of hours are amazing...then they go on training runs in the afternoon.

I did Missoula to Spokane (via hwy 200 through Thompson Falls and Sandpoint) my freshman year of college. Granted, I got off the bench to do it...but holy crap that was a good one. I had never been on more than a 5 or 10 mile ride before that.
23 hours in the saddle. 225 miles.

We lived on fig newtons, orange juice and bananas for 3 days. I have never had such a sore saddle and bad gas at the same time in all my life. LMFAO.

Day 1--Missoula to Plains. About 65 miles.
Day 2--Plains to Sandpoint. About 120 miles. THAT was a long day.
Day 3--Sandpoint to Spokane. About 50 miles if I remember right.

And the buddy I rode with had a criterium and a road race over there that next weekend. LOL Cyclists are psycho.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
via the labs
via the fact that most people that are at the top of their game for an activity are genetically different.

Look at lance and his heart, that swimmer guy and his big hands and feet and long arms, the rock climbing girl with crazy large hands.

Lots of people with bodily changes that allow them to adapt.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
it is mainly the size of their lungs that set them apart.

scott you are a pansy those distances are not that bad.

lance is a stud and so is albatar.

floyd landis is a dipshet, he would still crush me on abike though.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
HAHA, Tim. I was totally inexperienced...and had never pedaled before. I thought I did pretty good.

I was NOT on a good fancy slim road bike either. That thing was heavier than my current mtn bike. LOL

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Those 120 mile "stages" they do in a couple of hours are amazing...then they go on training runs in the afternoon.

I did Missoula to Spokane (via hwy 200 through Thompson Falls and Sandpoint) my freshman year of college. Granted, I got off the bench to do it...but holy crap that was a good one. I had never been on more than a 5 or 10 mile ride before that.
23 hours in the saddle. 225 miles.

We lived on fig newtons, orange juice and bananas for 3 days. I have never had such a sore saddle and bad gas at the same time in all my life. LMFAO.

Day 1--Missoula to Plains. About 65 miles.
Day 2--Plains to Sandpoint. About 120 miles. THAT was a long day.
Day 3--Sandpoint to Spokane. About 50 miles if I remember right.

And the buddy I rode with had a criterium and a road race over there that next weekend. LOL Cyclists are psycho.

That is great! Don't know if I would have it in me for a run like that.

It is very neat to watch those guys race those distances in that amount of time, insane, for sure. I have watch the tour since the Greg Lamond days.
Would of like to see how it would have came out it Andy would not have lost his chain, in the mts. I think I got in his head a little.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
5 hour "centuries"... good basic goal. That was my best 20 yrs ago in San Diego... I couldn't do the same thing in 7 now.

The stages thru The Pyrénées absolutely are mind boggling.

The Paris–Roubaix... now that is a BRUTAL one day race...

FShincapie.jpg

Looking at the top Pro MX riders today... many of them do serious road work, on a bicycle, for endurance training as core to their training.

On the mtn bike now... I hope to switch to the road bike in October for a couple of weeks of training for the season around Tahoe... 6000ft.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Did 24 miles tonight in 85 mins in slight rolling hills. Not great...but I've only got a few dozen miles under my belt this summer....working to improve.

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
here is my style of riding.

boulder white clouds in idaho. looking into ants basin from the ridge.

Dang that looks like a fun place to ride compared to the MTB park on the same old singletrack loop

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Good lord we all know you guys only watch that to see those guy's in there tight shorts:face-icon-small-win

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
HAHA.

Nice pics Tim. BEAUTIFUL!!!
Just think...if "they" get that closed off you can't even mtnbike in there.

Premium Features