• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 D8 broken crank

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
polaris broken crank 001.jpg

polaris broken crank 002.jpg

polaris broken crank 003.jpg

This made for an interesting day yesterday up at Bachelor. Its going in for its 3rd rebuild. The crank broke off 2" inside the motor. anyone else have this issue aside of piston melt down????

Jeff95

Premium Member
Jan 11, 2009
Terrebonne, Oregon
Payback for talking bad about the KTM's for all those years. Even Though the KTM rider is still riding!!:D:beer;:D
By the way next time when you are being towed keep your sled upright and not on its side. It's much easier to tow when it's upright. That was funny to see!!:):eek::)

bigtvents

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Armstrong, B.C.
800 crank problems

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with crank problems. I had a rod bearing fail last year at about 1400 miles, now at 2600 miles a rod has broken and gone out the front of the case. Down time is one thing, but Polaris is trying to deny my warranty because I have a _ _ _ high flow air horn intake installed. I've been waiting three weeks and still no decision has been made. Hopefully you have better luck than I do.
2008 Dragon 800, 163".

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Towed a buddy out 3 weeks ago with my D8 because his crank busted off right behind the primary. His was used but it was his first ride on it! Not cool. Pretty much flush with crank case. Makes me worry a bit:confused:

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Polaris Warranty Concerns?

Bigtvents, Good luck with your Polaris Dealer! Like the horn kit really works? It doubt it does much but it is a quick and easy mod but for it to cause a crank failure and deny warranty is reaching even for Polaris! Just a reminder to all you are better off saving all of your orignal parts and reinstall before going to the dealer with your sled because it will save you time, money, and frustration.

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Jeff95, that was pretty comical . Hopfully here back monday on the ETA to get this lemon back. Scott said it should be just a few days providing polaris has the parts. Thank god we have the old trusty rev to take to revy its getting hard to trust the poo. Sounds like Jerod got the parts to fix his sled tomarrow if your still available. call me

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
08 d8 broken crank

just got word yesterday polaris is putting a complete longblock in my sled. That makes me very happy. Just got off the phone with my dealer he said the motors in and that they will have it together in a day or so. Also getting the new flash. Super stoked. lets just see if she'll hold up to the abuse.

bigtvents

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Armstrong, B.C.
Warranty Update

It's been 4 weeks now since my D800 went down. After numerous visits/conversations with my dealer, Polaris has confirmed they will not cover my motor on warranty. I've been a Polaris sled & quad owner for over 20 years now and for Polaris to hang me out to dry over this issue is completely unacceptable ! Vertical Escape cranks, numerous 900 problems and now this. It's time to stop the bleeding. This issue is in my lawyers hands now, but reguardless of the outcome, I will be changing brands. Hopefully nobody else has to go through this.

P
Nov 27, 2007
big air horn??

of polaris said they will warranty these sleds with the slp pipe and they did! when I go to my dealer and look at the kit on the wall it is very interesting that the horn is hanging there with the pipe???

And the thing I would be concerned about is why your dealer would even mention the big air horn when applying for warranty ?? because they make more money from you than from polaris!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
of polaris said they will warranty these sleds with the slp pipe and they did! when I go to my dealer and look at the kit on the wall it is very interesting that the horn is hanging there with the pipe???

And the thing I would be concerned about is why your dealer would even mention the big air horn when applying for warranty ?? because they make more money from you than from polaris!

Not if they loose their Polaris dealership. Don't worry I agree with you. I feel like Polaris is reaching for any reason not to warranty stuff, but they may pop in some time and catch them lying about a warranty claim and that would be curtains for them.

bigtvents

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Armstrong, B.C.
I haven't heard that Polaris will warranty with SLP pipe installed. My dealer didn't tell them about the air horn kit, but Polaris specifically asked for pictures of the engine damage, underhood area and bottom of the hood. Dealer never thought anything about the air horn kit being a problem. Seems like Polaris was searching for an out ?

Nov 9, 2008
K-Town, ID
Wow!!

I better haul *** down to my dealer and take my MBRP CAN and air horn off.. Before they send in photo's! My dealer took photo's of the outside of my sled before looking into my melted down top end! That really worries me!:face-icon-small-sho

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I say put 'er all back to stock b4 ever taking it to the dealer....U and I know these problems weren't caused by Pipes and intake mods.........
So do they. :tsk:
I just got my lower end back from Indy Dan this morning. I don't remember how far out he said my crank was, but his look told me it wasn't good. It's straight now though. These are really tough cranks, but obviously not immune to failure. I assume the weakness of the newer case could contribute to some of this.
With the demands placed on these motors along with the HP and torque they are expected to make. Tolerances need to be precise and not left to chance. This is one area that Polaris tends to fall short. One problem will ultimately compound another. Just the force from a blown motor or even a blown belt can put a crank out of whack. Then add to it a clutch that isn't balanced and you may have a recipe for a failure. Just some of my thoughts on this. :crazy:

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Got word today my sled is ready to be picked up from the shop. New complete 2010 longblock and one new injector replaced under warrenty.
Im pretty stoked with the service im getting from my dealer. Going out sunday to break it in. We have about 2 feet of fresh to tear up. Hope third times a charm.

O

OLD GOAT

Nov 26, 2007
Lyons, Colorado
Tstone- thanks for the help..... Not!

I tried pm'ing you & posting on your latest thread. My crank went out 10 days ago after 3 other rebuilds.. Polaris is denying my warranty claim. I would like to know who you worked with to get a new engine?

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
I tried pm'ing you & posting on your latest thread. My crank went out 10 days ago after 3 other rebuilds.. Polaris is denying my warranty claim. I would like to know who you worked with to get a new engine?

sorry for not getting back to you Ive been away . My dealer here in Bend Or. the name of the shop is Cascade motor sports. the owner is Mike schwartz. Good luck. Im just about done with this POS

O

OLD GOAT

Nov 26, 2007
Lyons, Colorado
polaris & I are at War

MY P.O.S. had a crank bearing go out 2 weeks ago. They denied my warranty because I had an "unapproved intake modification". I have owned that thing since new in 12/07. I got sick & tired of pulling ice, snow, dirt & pine needles out of the top of my box, or having clogged air intakes due to deep powder. I installed a K & N style fiter on top of my airbox. I took out the airhorn under the hood & had the filter sticking up into the air intake area by the headlights. My airbox was stock on the inside, with the shelf & 3 air horns intack. I had a stock pipe. So my warranty is void because I fed it fresh, clean, filtered air! It has been towed in 4 times in 1500 miles: 1) ecu fried. 2& 3 beacuse sized twice last winter, BOTH TIMES it needed new pistons. 4th tow was the rod bearing. GEE YOU DON"T THINK SIEZING THE MOTOR TWICE AT 7000-8000 RPM DAMAGED THE CRANK BEARINGS DO YOU? I had the great "twin ring" rebuild in 12/2009 and thats when I put on the air filter. The thing actually ran good after that. Every mechanic I have talked to says there is NO WAY that air filter hurt that motor. The pistons & rings look perfect right now. ANYWAY I AM NOT FIXING IT. I am buying a used M8 to ride, will leave the polaris a pile of parts so I have proof for the Lawsuit I am starting. They have F'd enough of us. Anyone with a similar story, PM me... Bill

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
MY P.O.S. had a crank bearing go out 2 weeks ago. They denied my warranty because I had an "unapproved intake modification". I have owned that thing since new in 12/07. I got sick & tired of pulling ice, snow, dirt & pine needles out of the top of my box, or having clogged air intakes due to deep powder. I installed a K & N style fiter on top of my airbox. I took out the airhorn under the hood & had the filter sticking up into the air intake area by the headlights. My airbox was stock on the inside, with the shelf & 3 air horns intack. I had a stock pipe. So my warranty is void because I fed it fresh, clean, filtered air! It has been towed in 4 times in 1500 miles: 1) ecu fried. 2& 3 beacuse sized twice last winter, BOTH TIMES it needed new pistons. 4th tow was the rod bearing. GEE YOU DON"T THINK SIEZING THE MOTOR TWICE AT 7000-8000 RPM DAMAGED THE CRANK BEARINGS DO YOU? I had the great "twin ring" rebuild in 12/2009 and thats when I put on the air filter. The thing actually ran good after that. Every mechanic I have talked to says there is NO WAY that air filter hurt that motor. The pistons & rings look perfect right now. ANYWAY I AM NOT FIXING IT. I am buying a used M8 to ride, will leave the polaris a pile of parts so I have proof for the Lawsuit I am starting. They have F'd enough of us. Anyone with a similar story, PM me... Bill

That's such a bunch of BS. That just goes to show you how Polaris really feels about its customers. Trying to weasel their way out of something that is failure related on their part... not because of an intake mod that has no effect on what failed on yours. Polaris, get your act together now or lose your customers forever... your choice

Premium Features