• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New mod project build

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
sure, in a straight line drag race, it'd be fast.... but any other situation it would not be comparable. you can't tell me a sks bulkhead with a ve tunnel is gonna be nearly as fun to ride or manuverable as a m series or xp or iq

I'll sure tell you that a 1500 in a 1M Cat chassis is more fun than anything else I've ever ridden, including an M1000 and a new Dragon.

I'll sure tell you that a 1500 in a 1M Cat chassis is more fun than anything else I've ever ridden, including an M1000 and a new Dragon.

Yup! Still riding a ZX sled, have ridden all the new ones, and still can't find a reason to update, maybe/ I am screwed up in the head, but I think the "fun factor" of the old sleds is the reason why I stay with the old iron! not to mention the reliablity!(knock on wood!)

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
who says i have an xp?? i have an m1000. i'm not bashing this guy, if he wants to build it, thats cool. i just feel the fun factor of a m series or xp or iq chassis greater than the hp of a watercraft tripple on a dinosar chassis. obviously i shouldn't have posted my opinion...

This is where you are wrong...You most definetly should post your opinion. You posted it in a nice way and not bashing. Come on you guys lay off! This forum is just a discussion and he makes a somewhat valid point. Truth is the newer chassis is better but instead of attacking the guy we should discuss the reasons why...maybe its $$$ for best peformance?? who nows. But what this forum is lacking is more guys that dont just fall into line behind the next guy and say "yah what he said" I enjoy a discussion with different opinions.

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
This is where you are wrong...You most definetly should post your opinion. You posted it in a nice way and not bashing. Come on you guys lay off! This forum is just a discussion and he makes a somewhat valid point. Truth is the newer chassis is better but instead of attacking the guy we should discuss the reasons why...maybe its $$$ for best peformance?? who nows. But what this forum is lacking is more guys that dont just fall into line behind the next guy and say "yah what he said" I enjoy a discussion with different opinions.

and others posted thier opinion....I deal with this attitude of new is better but those are the ones who start pissing and whineing and wont look or talk to me after my kingcat grabs the highmark for the day....right now I can only dream of water craft power,this thing would be a lot of fun to ride,if you dont run a turbo or big bore you will not understand...horse power is king

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
I feel like i said earlier, people should ask questons and give opinions. This is what keeps us sharp with new ideas and ride the sled u like not what your buddy said is best or the add on tv.Test the new stuff and go with what is best for you new or old. the rearon i say this is you have to ride it not them so u have to be happy with how it handles and rides. vdog makes a valid point and i thank him for his view and explain that i am doing this for my likeing. just like any one elts who builds or customise ther sleds.

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2007
i do not mean this offensive towards you at all but i'm gonna ask.... Why are people still building this stuff???!!!! even if you build this thing with all used parts, you'll be into for AT LEAST 5 to 6 grand. for that price, you could buy an 08 xp or a m8 that would crush that sled. i just dont see why people still try to build this old, un reliable iron. technology is so far advanced it's ridiculous

I dont mean to be offensive but XPs BLOW. I have have a wedge that I could put a 700 into and lay the smackdown on an XP. Imagine how it works with 200 HP.

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
haha i dont know why everyone thinks i have an xp! i was using that as an example. my pops has one and i have a m1k. after getting my cat, i'd never want an xp BUT a wedge with a 700 in it wouldn't even take out a xp with a 550 fan in it.....

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
Kinda funny I have had this discussion with a number of people and what I tell them is this my "hot rod" I don't have an old car to dump money into so I dump it into my sled . A person could ask the same question as why did you put 30 + grand into a 32 ford when the new car's are so much better it's simple because that's what there into.

L
Dec 7, 2007
haha i dont know why everyone thinks i have an xp! i was using that as an example. my pops has one and i have a m1k. after getting my cat, i'd never want an xp BUT a wedge with a 700 in it wouldn't even take out a xp with a 550 fan in it.....

Do you have down syndrome?

Last edited:
C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Okay, lets get back to the build... So, manowar, What type of skid r u putting in the sled, how long etc.... I see the font has no shocks, whats your plan for that?? Should be a fun build, cant wait till all my parts come so I can work on my own project... Will probably be calling you with some in depth questions... take care...

CK

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
Well im un decited on the skid and track as of yet but the tunnel is long enough for a 163" set up and im going with an after market suspenion most likely for an iq rmk with some sort of float shocks front and rear. Leaning tord 159" track tho.

C
Apr 11, 2008
michigan
Engine alignment

Manowar make sure when you drill out the motor plate that you ensure you have the motor mounted far enough to the clutch side for clutch alignment. I almost fubarred my motor plate on my edge/xcr build.

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
Hi guys i guess the plan for the front suspenion is fabcraft arms,steering post,and bars. Simmons gen ll skis and fox float 2s for an edge from carls cycle. For the rear timber sled mtn tamer with ice age rails anodized black. and black powdercoat on rest

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Okay, lets get back to the build... So, manowar, What type of skid r u putting in the sled, how long etc.... I see the font has no shocks, whats your plan for that?? Should be a fun build, cant wait till all my parts come so I can work on my own project... Will probably be calling you with some in depth questions... take care...

CK

maybe he's taking a lesson from 383?

M
Mar 1, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
A man after my own heart.

I did this same type of thing about 4 years ago with a Ski-Doo. It was published in Racine-Extreme. Here is a link if interested:http://www.racine-extreme.com/mountain_madness.htm

I am with you. It isn't old iron if you build the thing from the ground up. It is just as new as the new stuff, and JUST as reliable.

I prefer a belly pan sled for mountain riding, too. I have riden REV's and could have built one, but chose this path. On a REV, unless you spend a ton of money to lighten up the front end on a REV, you can't come down from a run, lay it down on its side and head it back up the hill. The front end tends to bury.

My custom built sled is part REV, part ZX and part S-Chassis sled. I bent my own tunnel to accomodate the fusion.

I have had mine for 5 seasons now. I have riden it in California, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Michigan, Wisconsin and as a trail sled here at home in Iowa. On the last trip to Idaho, I towed a Dragon back to camp after it puked a piston.

Here is mine:

Keep up the good work on this project and keep us all posted.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
couple titps, you need to brace up the bulkhead as much as possible, the 1200WC will tear any bulkhead up in a couple years. Gussets and double weld all the joints you can on that sled!

When you do your motor plate, take the 4 outter bolts in the case that the plate mounts to, grind em down to a small point in the very center in the bolt itself, screw them into the case so just as they barely sit on the motor plate itself, measure, measure then measure agin, and with a rubber mallot tap the case and youll be centerpunched and ready to drill.

1200's are the best most reliable motor $ for hp per $ NA you can build PERIOD! Your gunna love it!

Premium Features