• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 200cc youth sleds from Cat and Yamaha

recreationist

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Laramie, WY
2018 Arctic Cat ZR 200 and Yamaha SnoScoot
Another option for the kids...

10x93 track with 200cc 9hp Yammi 4-stroke for $3750

The ZR200 is discussed in another thread but thought I'd put up some pics for folks to reference.

Wonder if a 10.5"x 120 SX snowbike track will fit? Along with a different engine... Let the mods begin.

Nice to see some focus on this segment of riders. Anybody know if they will be out on the snow for demos? I'd like to have my kids try one.

2018 ZR200.jpg 2018 SnoScoot.jpg

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My daughter is 6 and she will have one for next season. I have been griping about this for years. Motorcycles have every size and snowmobiles went from a 120 to a full size sled.

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Any thoughts on this for off trail riding for a 50 lbs rider? Our kids modified 120 (which is a 200) doesn't do well off trail with the tiny lugs/track and with the chain at 9500 feet only hits 15-16 mph.
This seems like a great option and may be their Christmas present for 2017.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Yes. This might get me back into sled!!! I showed my daughters (8 and 5) last night this intro vids. They went nuts. "Sick!!! We want them!!"

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
Yep, this is way cool. Except there's still a gap. They need to make one a little bigger, too. Like a 400 with a little more power and a 13x144x2" track for floatation.

I don't own a lot of private land so I want something I can take my 8-11 y/o out to the forest trails and meadows in decent snow depth. 9hp and this little track ain't gonna cut it. My 12 y/o is already on to a 600 because there's nothing else available and he could far outride these little things.

Maybe a bigger track and motor could be retrofitted to these 200's but they just need to make it, already!

Good to see them bring these back though. Looks like fun!!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
So true!

This sub-forum is filled with people building the type of machine you describe.

Popular belief is that the sales wouldn't justify having an entry / youth level mountain sled. Maybe that's the case but the fact that this type of model could be considered as a stepping stone to to the full size units and a way to bring new riders into the sport should not be overlooked.

Pretty soon there'll be no more 340 / 380 sleds left around for people to mod. so the kids will have to sit on their thumbs till they can reach the footboards on the full size.

Yep, this is way cool. Except there's still a gap. They need to make one a little bigger, too. Like a 400 with a little more power and a 13x144x2" track for floatation.

I don't own a lot of private land so I want something I can take my 8-11 y/o out to the forest trails and meadows in decent snow depth. 9hp and this little track ain't gonna cut it. My 12 y/o is already on to a 600 because there's nothing else available and he could far outride these little things.

Maybe a bigger track and motor could be retrofitted to these 200's but they just need to make it, already!

Good to see them bring these back though. Looks like fun!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Gateway sled.

I'm concerned that if there aren't mid sized sleds kids won't grow up with them. Once they get big enough to ride a 600 they are now priced out of the market. The price gap between a new AC 200 and a decent 600 now is close to $10,000 once they outgrow the 200.

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
Pretty cool little sleds. Should create a lot of smiles. My big 10 year old is already past them. Something around 50hp with a 136-144, lighter and smaller than full size and modern ergonomics Would be great.

My daughter would love one of these 200s, but hard to justify for 1 or 2 times she tags along per winter. Great for families that can be sledding out the back door.

Im sure any youth sled falls more under user recruitment than profit center for the manufacturers. Polaris and Ski Doo should probably buy a few truckloads with their logo and colors on them to help spread the cost out.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Ok

With these coming next year, and Winger Jr. moving up, I have had a few inquiries on his 120.... I'm not entirely sure how much it's worth...

2012 Pro R 120 like new
Runs great

What are people getting for these little buggers????
Looks like around $2000....????

Thanks

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
9hp?
Are the 120s actually less?
Those are just the old zr120 with new plastic! Still backyard toys...
They look cool w the new plastic though.
When are the mfgs going to make some real tweeter sleds.
And $3750 for a power wheels with a gas motor?

H
Jul 15, 2014
Totally agree

9hp?
Are the 120s actually less?
Those are just the old zr120 with new plastic! Still backyard toys...
They look cool w the new plastic though.
When are the mfgs going to make some real tweeter sleds.
And $3750 for a power wheels with a gas motor?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Pretty cool little sleds. Should create a lot of smiles. My big 10 year old is already past them. Something around 50hp with a 136-144, lighter and smaller than full size and modern ergonomics Would be great.

My daughter would love one of these 200s, but hard to justify for 1 or 2 times she tags along per winter. Great for families that can be sledding out the back door.

Im sure any youth sled falls more under user recruitment than profit center for the manufacturers. Polaris and Ski Doo should probably buy a few truckloads with their logo and colors on them to help spread the cost out.

The only sled even close to that now is the Indy 550. Pro chassis, so it's narrow and pretty nimble, but still a bit big.
The old Doo Freestyles and even older Phazers, ovations, bravos and enticers weren't ever marketed as kids sleds, but that's the size we need.
In the 90s sleds got generally bigger in size and while my boys can now handle their sleds well, a 380 Doo and 550 gen 2 rmk, those sleds were too big for them the first couple years they started riding their own machines. 7 and 8 years old.
The market needs a 340-440 fan, 120 trail model and 136-141 Mountian sled.
The gap is so wide now that it'll be tough even if they come out, because I for one would never go drop 4-5grand a piece on a pair of sleds for my kids.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^They both started out on a cherry old Trail cat 5000 I picked up for them. That is a full size sled small enough for a kid, but again 37 years old and a steel cleat track makes for a long day and too much tinkering.
My younger boy rode a 120 for a little bit when we went riding with a buddy in AK. (Guy had to pull the 120 in to the cabin in a freight sled). My son was 7 at the time, I'd just built his 380 for him and he thought it was useless at 7 years old.

But like most, we don't ride on our property. Our kids need something that will get them 15 miles back in the mountains and back to the truck again.

Last edited:
A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
My kids Ovation 340 has been amazing. Its 20 years old but starts every time and he tags along all over the Snowies on some long rides. Its pretty surprising where it will go with the Phazer 136 track and with a 100lb rider. The only thing it really lacks is modern ergos. Not everyone wants to chop up and mod an old sled and keep it running.

The failure of Ski Doos Freestyle as far as sales might have manufacturers scared off of the tweener size sleds. Its probably hard to build a decent 2/3 size sled much cheaper than a full size and especially so when you have to spread the tooling and design cost out over a smaller sales quantity.

recreationist

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Laramie, WY
Snoscoot 200 action

Hi All,
I got a quick video from a friend that demoed the Yamaha Snoscoot 200 up at West last weekend. Here are a couple screen shots from the video where they carved it up a bit. Adult rider and 8" of fresh at 6500'. I was surprised; it does pretty well. Looks promising.

SS200_1.jpg SS200_2.jpg SS200_3.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
They're a neat looking machine and certainly a step up from the 120 class.

For us they're just too much money to spend on something that the kids will outgrow in a couple of years. On the flipside, if they hold their value anything like the 120 sleds and domestic youth ATVS the owner will likely recuperate 60% + of their original investment on resale.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm working with a guy that would potentially trade in a pair of Ovations
Both low miles, electric start, and very nice condition.

What could I realistically expect to get for these?

Premium Features