• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gtx2860 vs gt series

Duramax325

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2011
Minot N.D.
I was wondering if anybody has run at Gtx2860 and has had previous experience with its gt counterpart. If so what are the differences. I primarily ride tight trees that's why I was wondering. What does everybody thinks works the best gtx2860 gtx2863 gtx2867 gtx2871. I am just just trying to get some info for this summers rebuild. Thank guys

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
gtx is the same as gt but with billet wheel, billet wheel is a bit more efficient, lighter and spools up a tad quicker, I'm really happy with my 2860, depending on boost levels the 2860 is great for under 10lbs 2863 and 2867 are a happy medium they spool like a 2860 but can push air similiar to a 2871 so its a great "all around" turbo it you like to crank up the boost on occasion. the 2871 flows alot of air for big boost.

I personally like the 2860 for tree banging as i never need more than 6lbs so my preference is the 2860 and 2863 as they will be the quickest

tell us what kit your running and how much boost you run and what fuel and others can give you better advice.

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
GTX2860R-vs-GT2860RS.JPG

Typically billet wheel compressors are more robust and designed to sustain higher boost levels. A 2.5 pressure ratio is 22 psi boost @ sea level, 4.5 is 51 psi.

The 20 lbs/min in the chart is about 210hp

Clutching is a big factor on how your sled is going to respond in the bush. If you are running high boost it becomes harder to get a good bottom end response.

IMO a 2860 @ 6psi in the trees is a good setup. Sorry I can not tell you what is going to be more responsive, altitude and octane have a big impact on it though.

Last edited:

Duramax325

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2011
Minot N.D.
I am running a 2013 silber kit with a vipec. I usually ride in between 7,500 and 10,000 feet and run 50/50 av/91 or straight av if need be. This year I ran it 8lbs and went as high as 11lbs for a couple days. It seemed like it ran better around 10lbs vs 8lbs. Clutching is something i have not experemented with much. i am running the clutching that came with the kit. Thanks for the info guys keep it coming i am still learning it seems to be a day to day deal but getting better and tons of perma grin lol.

Duramax325

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2011
Minot N.D.
GTX2860R-vs-GT2860RS.JPG

Typically billet wheel compressors are more robust and designed to sustain higher boost levels. A 2.5 pressure ratio is 22 psi boost @ sea level, 4.5 is 51 psi.

The 20 lbs/min in the chart is about 210hp

Clutching is a big factor on how your sled is going to respond in the bush. If you are running high boost it becomes harder to get a good bottom end response.

IMO a 2860 @ 6psi in the trees is a good setup. Sorry I can not tell you what is going to be more responsive, altitude and octane have a big impact on it though.

I see u are running a KPA and was thinking of going that route also any input would be appeciated. I have heard that KPA is also coming out with a oil less turbo and was wondering if that would be the ticket. No oil no oil pump sounds like a win win deal but is there any performace loss with this. Just wondering why everybody hasn't gonr this route.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I see u are running a KPA and was thinking of going that route also any input would be appeciated. I have heard that KPA is also coming out with a oil less turbo and was wondering if that would be the ticket. No oil no oil pump sounds like a win win deal but is there any performace loss with this. Just wondering why everybody hasn't gonr this route.

I rode an oiless ceramic ball bearing 2871 turbo all season from Powderlites (he does not make them), And no it is not a KPA.

Turbo worked great all season, super quick spool, no pump, no oil, no fuss, lighter...
Dave at Powderlites has the details on this turbo.

Overall i was really impressed and happy with the turbo.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I really like the kPa, It seems like the turbine side is a little more open than a Garrett, works great on a 800.

kPa is new to the powersport industy, you will see a lot more around next season

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Premium Features