• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overnight RV camping in winter

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
Do many of you camp overnight in RVs on sled trips? We are about to get a Class B RV (camper van) and it would be a big bonus to be able to use it for occassional overnight stays on long sledding days. If its even possible, what does it take to stay somewhat comfortable through below freezing nights in one of these things?

SNOWBUM101

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2009
Whitefish montucky
Well I manage a campground in Montana, and most rigs are not set up for winter use!!some are but, most not! a class b would probably do OK just because it is a van,might want to think of some kind of portable skirting just to keep the cold out from underneath the van that will help with keeping things from freezing maybe a heat lamp as well ??? Alot of campgrounds close for the winter but im sure you could find some? We are open for the winter so fell free to come on in plenty of room that time of year, and we are all sledneck!!:rockon::rockon:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Just to be safe you can just do to it without water in your system...use bottled to drink/wash up. Use water with some antifreeze in the septic if you want to use the facilities.

You can go a few days that way. Slides can get covered in snow and ice if you have them out. You can lay down a tarp...or just bring some extra bottles of antifreeze to free up any joints that may ice up.

I do it usually once a season in a non winterized Fifth wheel. Not till end of the season usually though...when temps are freezing...but not super deep.

Last edited:
T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
My wife and I always camp in are toy hauler Its not made to be used in the winter. We cheaped out,but we've stayed in it at -20 no problem we don't use the water or sewer we pack water and she has a porta-potty.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
buy it and winterize it ! super easy . heat tape ALL the plumbing lines with good heat tape . full heater pads on each tank . Depending on the unit you may need to insulate the belly of it too . All this cost me about $1200 bucks to do to my 40 foot toy hauler . Its good down to about -25 c . i stay in it all winter in revlestoke . every winter one heat tape craps out ( i have about 7 diffrent tapes ) . pretty cozy

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
My wife & I do the same as everybody else. We just pack bottled water & put some antifreeze in the septic. Works pretty good. Coldest we have had it out in was -10F, I don't ride if its colder than that.. :face-icon-small-hap

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Battery operated heat blankets.

You can use the heated blanket to keep canned goods from freezing.

Use an outdoor potty and winterize the piping.

Park in such a way the sun melts the door so it doesn't freeze shut.

Get some big batteries for power

noxis

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2009
winter camping

Figured out last winter that it helps to park so the sun hits the camper during the day if its cold. Made a world of difference for my rig.

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
I have a 22' Arctic Fox and stay in it in any weather. I use the water even in below zero weather, but I do keep some antifreeze handy in case the heater goes out I can winterize really quick. If your rig is built for the cold, it's really no big deal at all to camp out in cold weather.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Done a lot of winter camping in 3 season campers. I modified the water system so i could isolate the sink area and just run cold water to the kitchen sink. Helps to have the furnace near that area so it stays warm, or leave the door open and run a little fan to keep the air moving. Fresh water tanks are usually inside and it takes a lot to freeze them up. I throw some sidewalk salt in the blackwater tank to keep from freezing hard and busting valves. Gray water I leave open and put a five gallon bucket under it. Gets much below 10 below and things eventually freeze. Furnace runs a lot too.

Got a Bigfoot camper this year. One of the best 4 season campers made, but don't come cheap. Two fiberglass shells joined in the middle so no leaky rubber roof to deal with. Winter is hard on roofs! Bigfoot has everything enclosed in a heated basement and are supposed to be fully functional to 10 below. My pickup camper unit has a 30K btu furnace and puts out some serious heat. Looking forward to showering after a days ride this year! lol

TFA

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
WA State
I have camped quite a bit in my Bigfoot 2500 Series Camper. Down to -10 without any problems. Did use a fair amount of Propane. The Furnace Ductwork runs through the basement section next to the water lines and keeps everything working. They are not the roomiest campers with their clamshell design and no slideouts, but they definitely work well in the winter.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Temp will work against but the wind is the greatest of evils IMHO in the winter.

Anything you can do to keep the wind from blowing UNDER the trailer is good. For me I like to park with the axles rubbin the snow.

Parked one time in Mammoth Lakes plowed parking RV lot. Could not keep the trailer warm with a steady 40 MPH wind at -10F.

The biggest headache was the down wind side of the trailer had 3 plus inches of ice after several days. Tried to get ice off and some of the trailer came with it. It is an older trailer.

Drove of the hill (below freezing after 60miles) and was pulled over by the cops cause sheets of ice were coming off and panicking tailgating vehicles

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a Lance truck camper with slide out. I'm curious if it is really "winterized". Lance claims that it is but I'd hate to crack a tank, especially the black one!

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
This will be our 3rd winter camping in our 1976 trailer. We leave it set up all winter long. We have the bottom skirted, underbelly spray foamed and all the windows styrofoam against the window with 3M window insulator kits (clear plastic). Only 3 windows dont have styrofoam so we can see outside. We also have one roof vent blocked off and one that we keep open all the time. Biggest thing is the moisture inside, especially with the wet riding gear. We use a gen set for power and the propane furnace to keep warm. We have stayed in the trailer at -32C with no problems and was quite cozy. We carry our own water and use an outhouse.

The only thing I will say about the van is try it out and find out what works and what doesnt. Its all a learning process. Have fun and be safe...install a CO monitor.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
Done a lot of winter camping in 3 season campers. I modified the water system so i could isolate the sink area and just run cold water to the kitchen sink. Helps to have the furnace near that area so it stays warm, or leave the door open and run a little fan to keep the air moving. Fresh water tanks are usually inside and it takes a lot to freeze them up. I throw some sidewalk salt in the blackwater tank to keep from freezing hard and busting valves. Gray water I leave open and put a five gallon bucket under it. Gets much below 10 below and things eventually freeze. Furnace runs a lot too.

Got a Bigfoot camper this year. One of the best 4 season campers made, but don't come cheap. Two fiberglass shells joined in the middle so no leaky rubber roof to deal with. Winter is hard on roofs! Bigfoot has everything enclosed in a heated basement and are supposed to be fully functional to 10 below. My pickup camper unit has a 30K btu furnace and puts out some serious heat. Looking forward to showering after a days ride this year! lol

Damn Bushy , your really steppin up from a few years ago.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
Wife and I do the same. Just carry a 5 gal jug for coffee and drinking.Use Windshield washer fluid in toilet to keep from freezing. Also if you have a gen. An electric pad or blanket is the $hit.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Spray on foam insulation is a good idea. It would be great if you could put heat tape and foam on the pipes, tanks and undercarriage....but not sure if that would be a fire hazard or not.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
We have 20 years experience of using a class C then a class A motorhome in the winter for sledding. All the above suggestions are great.

In addition:

Get a Honda 2000 suitcase generator, as the furnace and cold temps will drain the coach batteries overnight. VERY quiet and will run 8 hours on a gallon of gas.

We also used a Mr Buddy (double size) propane ceramic heater in our bigger (32') RV to keep the temps up inside. They are certified for indoor use and help keep the furnace from constantly cycling on and off in cold weather.

Premium Features