• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutches and belt heat? how much is to much heat?

C

catf1000s/p

Dec 30, 2011
Answers can be on anyone of the 2 stroke 2012's 800's, please do not clog this thread with low mile belts= 1000 miles and up or please do not post anything please.
And if you havn't checked your clutches with at least a touch to find out how hot your clutches really are out on the trail or when testing belts or clutching, do not clog this thread with anything else please because when someone comes in to read this thread, they will have read to much stuff and not bother, then move on with out putting the important info we need for these sleds.
The 2013's are going to have the same problems if we don't fix them this year.
thanks, read on

All testing has been done with the brake rotor and foot wel blocked of so no chance of water hitting the belt from that.

Of corse everyone is having belt problems with the 2012's
Ive been testing to see under what condition the clutches get the hottest.

can someone answer me on how much belts can really take for degrees before coming apart?
first is the 083 for the 2012 f800, i know that the more you hammer the sled the hotter the clutches get, but, how hot is to hot.

I have been testing these new f800's through the whole season.
When you just ride slower from like 0 to 70 mph for like 20 miles at a time with some 90 mph runs in some spots, the clutches are warm to the touch==on a heat gun right around 135 or so on the primary where the belt rides the most, belt 119 degrees f , secondary 135 or so where the belt rides the most.

pulled over on the side of the trail and pulled the side panel off to see how hot the clutches were after going about 8 miles== warm to the touch=didn't have the gun with me, but from what i could tell after i checked with the guage, 135 degrees.

Did a roll on from 15 mph to 90 mph wot about 400 feet then pulled right over an took the side panel off, could not even think of keeping you hand on the clutches for a second.

When getting back to the house where my guage was after running kind of easy the rest of the way home, checked clutches with my hand== warm to the touch and right then i checked with the guage=134 degrees f where the belt rides on both clutches.

Started the sled and went in the back yard where there is deep snow so i could pound on the sled wot for a little bit= just about 2 to 3 mins, checked the temps again===145 degrees f and still warm to the touch, so this is the question== when putting a bigger load on the clutches and sled on the 15 mph to 90 mph run, i would guess they had to be 200 degrees f, I will be checking on that again soon and make sure i bring my guage so i really know for sure.

The question i need to have answered is how hot can belts get before the burning point or melting point, i know different belts can stand more heat than others.

lets just keep it to a few belts, the 083,084,dayco xtx 5017,the f1000 belt 060, the 2011 f800 046.

1 more question is== has anyone found a belt that is getting more miles on them running like a snow cross race for 150 to 200 miles with stopping every 20 to 30 miles for a short smoke break? really don't want to know about belts that have low miles on them unless the belt was beat to death for 20 to 30 miles at a time with a short break between for like around 200 miles in a day and have done this for 4 days in a row up to around 3 weeks time for a total of 12 days of riding out of the 21 days time sort of thing, would like to know if anyone has found a belt that can with stand this type of riding with out coming apart and where it came from==brand and part number.
thank you for reading.
I know my clutches are fine because i have gotten 1800 miles out of a 083, but when beating the snot out of them, i know they might make it through 1 day if that, if you want to blow a new belt after breaking it in easy for 50 to 75 miles, all you have to do is hold the throttle for a mile or so and it will be all done, untill we find a belt that can with stand the heat.
I have never had these kind of belt problems on my 07 f1000 060 belt for 7554 miles useing 2 belts, or my 09 f1000 that had 10,168 miles and only went through 2 060 belts. and i drove them sleds mostly pounding on them even more than this new 2012 f8, i know the 083 belt is crap and the new 084 belt is not staying together either, I know the sled needs more venting but still would like to know how hot is to hot so i know i found the right temps that will work after venting and such.
This sled has over 3100 miles so far.

Where is my editor, he will fix this for easy reading

Thanks for not clogging the thread
Frank

Premium Features