• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 M7 with low end power problems

m7extreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
I have an 06 M7 with 1000 miles with low end bogs. It runs great starts 2ND pull every time. runs good, other than when your just cruising along at a low speed and punch and it will cut out. will almost throw you into the handle bars, then it will take off. I'm also not getting my full power out of it riding at high elevation i'm only getting about 6500 rpms. I had 68 clutch weights in it, at the end of last year i put 65 weights to see if i could get more rpms. But i never got to ride it again, everything iv been reading about these is that you can loose a lot of bottom and power in clutching. Thanks for any input

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
check servo motor, cables, and clean power valves. also check reeds.
all very simple things to do if you haven't already. TPS. Dial in oil injection.

J almont

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have an 06 M7 with 1000 miles with low end bogs. It runs great starts 2ND pull every time. runs good, other than when your just cruising along at a low speed and punch and it will cut out. will almost throw you into the handle bars, then it will take off. I'm also not getting my full power out of it riding at high elevation i'm only getting about 6500 rpms. I had 68 clutch weights in it, at the end of last year i put 65 weights to see if i could get more rpms. But i never got to ride it again, everything iv been reading about these is that you can loose a lot of bottom and power in clutching. Thanks for any input

Did it ever run good? Or is it a sled you purchased and it just never seamed to run right?

If it "used" to run good then you may have some clutching issues to deal with like weights, bushings etc. If if used be be good and now isn't, check the PV cables, TPS, Pull the pipe and look at the rings,

but if it "never" ran good then you should be looking at clutching first.

sounds like a helix/secondary thing at first thought. What spring and helix are you running in the secondary.

Thunder

S
Feb 21, 2009
power valves

I would clean power valves and check cables and make sure secondary defecltion is set right. 1000 miles is preety low to have major problems good luck...

T
Nov 27, 2007
My kids M7 started loosing bottom end power last spring and it was the secondary clutch , ended up getting a belt deflection adjuster from BDX and cured it.

m7extreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Did it ever run good? Or is it a sled you purchased and it just never seamed to run right?

If it "used" to run good then you may have some clutching issues to deal with like weights, bushings etc. If if used be be good and now isn't, check the PV cables, TPS, Pull the pipe and look at the rings,

but if it "never" ran good then you should be looking at clutching first.

sounds like a helix/secondary thing at first thought. What spring and helix are you running in the secondary.

Thunder
ya i just bought the sled last year. the first trip i took it on the 9 bolts that hold the helix on, fell out. so i never really got to find out what it really was like at first. so i talked to the guy i bought it from and he gave me a new helix for it. all the helix says is 36, im not sure if that means its a straight 36 or what? im still running the old 10 clutch, iv heard alot about gearing them down or switching to the new 10.4, or both? im not sure, what should i be running for a helix?

Borderstaff

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul MN
I'm not a clutching guru. But I did have an 06 M7 for a few years of riding out west. I had a lot of the same symptoms when my clutch rollers wore out. It was boggy of the line, didn't pull full RPM's and never had good power. I unfortunately was in Cooke when it happened and was at the mercy of the dealer. They didn't have a spyder alone but did have a whole new primary clutch. $500 later and it was all fixed and as good as new - that being said I was very happy with Brandon who was working at the Cat dealer in Cooke at the time, he skipped dinner to get my sled ready to ride the next morning - truly excellent customer service and I couldn't thank him enough!!! Now I carry a spare primary clutch on every trip along with spare a-arms etc.

Another problem I had was that the power valve servo went out. The sled acted almost exactly like what you are stating as the problems and wouldn't pull over 6500 RPM's. It got to 6500 fast but then fell on its face so hard that I'd fall into the handlebars.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I'm not a clutching guru. But I did have an 06 M7 for a few years of riding out west. I had a lot of the same symptoms when my clutch rollers wore out. It was boggy of the line, didn't pull full RPM's and never had good power. I unfortunately was in Cooke when it happened and was at the mercy of the dealer. They didn't have a spyder alone but did have a whole new primary clutch. $500 later and it was all fixed and as good as new - that being said I was very happy with Brandon who was working at the Cat dealer in Cooke at the time, he skipped dinner to get my sled ready to ride the next morning - truly excellent customer service and I couldn't thank him enough!!! Now I carry a spare primary clutch on every trip along with spare a-arms etc.

Another problem I had was that the power valve servo went out. The sled acted almost exactly like what you are stating as the problems and wouldn't pull over 6500 RPM's. It got to 6500 fast but then fell on its face so hard that I'd fall into the handlebars.

Your talking about the primary clutch, I believe that he is asking about the secondary clutch. At least if we are talking about helix's and such. But, it is a good idea to go through your primary also.

Premium Features