• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Piston rings or SPI piston ring set

SJORMK7

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hayden Idaho
I have a 06 SummitX 800H.O.
The sled has 2600 miles on it, I am going to replace the stock rings. Or should I use Spi pistons,rings,pin,wrist pin assembly? What do you guys think are the stock pistons worthy of just rings?, or should I go the SPI route ? Thanks for the input

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
I personally would not use SPI pistons. I know lots of people use them, but there is a reason they are the cheapest piston on the market. I have seen more than 1 cylinder that was seized do to excessive expansion with an SPI.

I personally use dual ring MCB piston kits from Matt at MCB performance in all of my rebuilds. His service and parts quality is great.

I have used his pistons many times with my sleds and have great luck with them. Plus the advantages of the dual ring pistons will give you better performance in the long pulls over the the stock pistons that cost more.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Rings

If the stock pistons are spec'ed to be within tolerance: then replacing the rings with OEM is acceptable practice. You most likely have about 130 hours on those pistons, so they are about 60% done. If you plan on tearing the motor down again in 1500 miles or so from now then just rings would be an OK call. If you want the longest life: the MCB dual ring set up would be a very good choice.

Premium Features