• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't ride the M

Q

qbeam

Nov 5, 2009
SE Idaho
I jumped ship this year from a doo Rev. Been on the sled twice this year once in one foot of powder and once in four feet of powder. the second day was worse than the first. I spent most the day tipping over the sled. What is a normal learning curve for the M chassis coming off of the REV chassis? Did I make a mistake in moving to the M?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
It shouldnt take you too long. You just have to learn that it doesnt take as much input to get the sled to do what you want.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
It took me a couple rides coming off a 1M also. But I can't imagine riding anything else now. I tried to ride a buddies Rev last year and it was impossible for me to get that thing to do anything but go straight! I think once you get used to it you will be very happy. Just give it some time! :face-icon-small-hap

Dec 4, 2007
Idaho
Nah you didn't make a mistake. I came off of a polaris and it took me about half the season before I felt like I could do what I wanted on it. I won't lie, I was like you and wanted my polaris back. Now the only thing i miss is the ride down the trail.

C
Jan 12, 2008
Qbeam....We should actually take your post and use it as a Marketing slogan for Arctic Cat...." I keep tipping over "....That is music to my ears and should result in Arctic Cat gaining market share...Riding an M series is like riding a mountain bike....Look where you want to go, and it goes....What more could one possibly ask for ????

Stick with it....DO NOT ever touch that grab bar on your handlebars, you will immediately tip over and fall off the sled !!! :)

Pray for snow and Ride On !!!!!

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Try tucking up close to the bars, standing very tall, weight on your feet. Weight your left foot & lean a little, left you go. Doesn't need as much input to lay over, but will need a little more input and planning to come back upright. The Rev wants to come back to an upright position, you'll need to tell the M to do it.

Keep at it, it will suddenly click one day and you'll be all smiles.

M
Nov 27, 2007
bonney lake
i came off a rmk edge and it took about 6 rides to feel comfortable. my wife would ride the rmk and i would switch back and forth still liking the polaris. but once i made the crossover no looking back. but i still like the edge chassis not as much as an m.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Try tucking up close to the bars, standing very tall, weight on your feet. Weight your left foot & lean a little, left you go. Doesn't need as much input to lay over, but will need a little more input and planning to come back upright. The Rev wants to come back to an upright position, you'll need to tell the M to do it.

Keep at it, it will suddenly click one day and you'll be all smiles.

As you put weight on your left foot and start to lean just a little bit pin the throttle or at least 3/4 and the sled will just go that way, as you get the sled to lean you let go of the throttle some and it will come back down. Your weight on a lean and the throttle will steer your sled very well. Practice in a meadow left then right, it will come to you fast and oh what fun it is.:face-icon-small-hap

C
Nov 8, 2009
In deep snow with stock skis you have to countersteer and carve. I have seen a lot of guys come off REVS and try to steer normally with the sled flat. It doesnt work too well on these sleds. They have a huge sweet spot on their sides, once you figure it out and stop trying to steer normally, you wont believe what you can do.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I just sold my XP and bought a left over 2009 M8. My buddy was out on his new M8 and I got a chance to really ride and compare the two chassis'. You are absolutely correct when you say the M is tippy.....and it's awesome. It does take some getting used to but the M felt about 100 LBS lighter to manuver than my tank (XP) LOL!!. Honestly from one ex Doo guy to another, give it a chance and when you get your body used to the new balance points you will love the M chassis!! To be honest I think the old Rev chassis is more stable than the XP chassis when carving. This is not to say that I couldn't ride or didn't like my XP, I loved it, but the M chassis responds better to rider input than the XP by far.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
My first season on an M this year coming off an 01 RMK. Huge difference. Loved it the first couple of rides, then started to hate it as I became more aggressive with it. Can't count how many times I got bucked off of it. I'm guessing that a Boss seat would help me stay on though (stock is like greased owl chit). Got over 200 miles on it now and I'm starting to get more used to it. Just take the learning curve slowly and it will come to you. Oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt to put a tether switch on it either (even on flat ground)....(watched mine slide down the hill into a tree)

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
It's a great feeling once you get used to them. I'm coming off doo's as well. The cat just takes about 40% less rider input to manouver. It's alot easier on the body once you get a feel for them. I tried riding a doo again last week and it felt heavy, awkward, unpredictable, and stressful on the arms. You'll get her buddy, put some miles on her.

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
In deep snow with stock skis you have to countersteer and carve. I have seen a lot of guys come off REVS and try to steer normally with the sled flat. It doesnt work too well on these sleds. They have a huge sweet spot on their sides, once you figure it out and stop trying to steer normally, you wont believe what you can do.

You do not need to counter steer!!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Easy tips to get used to the sled, when standing, put opposite foot on the very front of foot well. start without leaning then slowly start leaning and letting your free foot drag the snow(keeping firm pressure on the foot in foot the well) as you hang it farther and farther out. This will let your free foot drag in the snow for balance and help get you back up when you want. Just do it slow you will see what I'm talking about, the only time my free foot go's out more than a few feet is when leaning the wrong way on a side hill. so don't make quick reactions let the sled and your body weight do the work. Also get in a little pow on a down hill and sit down, then turn the skis the opposite way you want to lean, it will tip up and you can completely carve down hill without standing(unless needed to recover) just be a little body english and turning the skis the right way. Let the sled do the work. Also very helpful to watch someone that knows what they are doing. Suspension setup can be key as well. This will give you an idea of how the sled reacts, you'll get it from there.

P
Nov 22, 2008
BC
came off a 1M this season onto a M1000......fell in love with it on the first ride! :face-icon-small-hap didnt need any adjustment time. it just comes naturally. as mentioned, stand close to the steering post, and just place more weight on the foot thats in the direction u wanna go, ei, weight on right foot, turning right. and use the throttle to help u steer. do NOtT use the mountain bar! doesnt take long to figure out that u dont need it lol. and o yes, u definitely need to countersteer....:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features