• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This blowing belts is getting old!

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
That's really to bad to hear. I have a 2012 M11 turbo and just broke 1000 miles on the sled still with my factory belt. Put 580 miles in over two weeks of 3+ feet of fresh powder and I was VERY throttle happy! But the other 420 miles on riding a little more settled snow on my last trip out west. A lot of climbing and once again a lot of throttle!lets just put it this way.... I would run my sled till my tank ram out of gas, then would put my 3.5 spare gallons of fuel in and would burn almost all the way trough that tank before The 2012 pro and 2013 Doo XM would be running low on there tank of gas. I was sure when I had 580 miles on my sled before I left for my last trip that my belt was just a time bomb waiting to blow. Luckily it looks like my sled isn't a belt eater! I would be irate if I was blowing belts as often as we've all heard a lot of guys are. I guess what it comes down to is either you're lucky with the sled cat gives you... Or your not.

Did you have a tune in that gas guzzler? Cause I've never noticed it eating anymore or less gas than the 2smokers.

psychosledder73

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Fernie BC
also on both my sleds i have taken frogzkins off of a 05-11 m intake and put one on the clutch intake duct and the duct that directs snow at the engine. I put them on the inside had to take ducts out to install.Not getting any snow from either of these 2 vents into the sled

C

Cryme_Ariver

Mar 5, 2013
Steamboat Springs CO
Did you have a tune in that gas guzzler? Cause I've never noticed it eating anymore or less gas than the 2smokers.

Everything engine wise is completely stock. I don't even have a pipe or anything on it. I wouldn't believe how much fuel I burned until I was stuck going up hill because my sled was out of fuel. Everyday is the same story too.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Everything engine wise is completely stock. I don't even have a pipe or anything on it. I wouldn't believe how much fuel I burned until I was stuck going up hill because my sled was out of fuel. Everyday is the same story too.

Sounds like the ole pickup problem. I had to switch smart valves this season in the gas tank cause it would run outta fuel prematurely and there was still gas left. Just pull out the pump and the pickups and switch the front one with the vented one in the back and my problem was solved.

C

Cryme_Ariver

Mar 5, 2013
Steamboat Springs CO
I was going to take a look at my sled once I got home from this trip. I knew there had to be something that wasnt quite right. So thanks a lot for answering that question!

plumberdood

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Missoula MT
IMO the 12's didn't have as many problems because of the 2.25 track. I had 500 mountain miles on my M1100 last year with the same belt, but when I put a 2.5 C/E on my sled I started blowing belts. The power claw didn't have the bite the C/E does and IMO the power claw was more forgiving on the drive train.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
the main issue of blowing the belts is heat, pure and simple. The belt and secondary isnt the issue either. The fixes arcitc Cat has done has made the belt issue worse if not better. Pull that plastic spacer out of the secondary, that just limits the sheath from fully opening, causing the belt to act like a rubber band.

T

If the secondary wasn't the issue then why is there an update for both bearings and now cat is heat treating them different so they hold tighter tolerances.

Both clutches need work, the primary needs a better cover, the secondary needs a few things

R
Mar 13, 2013
His set up is nothing short of AWSOME !! I would never have guessed how much more performance that my sled gained , total arm stretcher . Over 2000 miles and same belt with 270hp turbo dynamics set up . If just everyone knew about this set up . I know of 3 other guys running it also and all are in awww !

R
Mar 13, 2013
I was told that due to the extreme heat made by slip , the aluminum in the driven clutch expands like any material . Once this happens , the bushings got grabby in the driven clutch and caused more bind and really stressing the belt that is already hot . Kaboom goes the belt . Looser fitting bushings bandaid the real issue with the belt slip heat . The spacer is limiting a full shift .

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I was told that due to the extreme heat made by slip , the aluminum in the driven clutch expands like any material . Once this happens , the bushings got grabby in the driven clutch and caused more bind and really stressing the belt that is already hot . Kaboom goes the belt . Looser fitting bushings bandaid the real issue with the belt slip heat . The spacer is limiting a full shift .

can you give some info or insight on the setup and why it works, like what all is done and the style of clutching

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
His set up is nothing short of AWSOME !! I would never have guessed how much more performance that my sled gained , total arm stretcher . Over 2000 miles and same belt with 270hp turbo dynamics set up . If just everyone knew about this set up . I know of 3 other guys running it also and all are in awww !

which setup?
i didnt catch that?

R
Mar 13, 2013
blowing belts

the main issue of blowing the belts is heat, pure and simple. The belt and secondary isnt the issue either. The fixes arcitc Cat has done has made the belt issue worse if not better. Pull that plastic spacer out of the secondary, that just limits the sheath from fully opening, causing the belt to act like a rubber band.

The heat issue is caused by the Belt slipping obviously. The primary clutch needs help. Its not completely junk by any means. My sled had very little miles on it when I was able to find a solution WITHOUT blowing a belt and losing my A$$ The difference is ridiculous. Now my sled wants to yank my arms off from the instant torque hit because the belt ISNT slipping.

Give this guy a call, 810-966-5094 ext 6, His name is roger. There is a few of us with his setup and its fantastic. Be skeptical all you want, but taking action and just fixing the dang thing is better than wasting money on belts and praying that Arctic Cat is going to fix their Screw ups. With out that stock set up slipping, you will really feel the true power these sleds have.

-Mega

What it does is gets a good squeaze on the belt . The kit is just in the primary clutch . a spring and the weights . How it works is that the weight is kind of funky looking , but makes total sense when you compare it with a stock or aftermarket weight . Thing about this ... hold a pencil at the eraser and it points down , that is how the standard weight sets in the clutch the eraser is the pivot pin that the weight uses . All the centrifugul pressure is pushed up twards the eraser and there is no side force pushing against the roller until the weight is un tucked and at a 45 deg. angle or so . That is the belt burnout area . Problem is , the burnout keeps going after the weight is un tucked and its "HOT". This set up has another short weight that comes off to the roller side of the weight and centriugal force pulls the weight against the roller and causes side force . looks like a upside down "L" . the corner being where the pivot pin is . If that makes any sense ?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
What it does is gets a good squeaze on the belt . The kit is just in the primary clutch . a spring and the weights . How it works is that the weight is kind of funky looking , but makes total sense when you compare it with a stock or aftermarket weight . Thing about this ... hold a pencil at the eraser and it points down , that is how the standard weight sets in the clutch the eraser is the pivot pin that the weight uses . All the centrifugul pressure is pushed up twards the eraser and there is no side force pushing against the roller until the weight is un tucked and at a 45 deg. angle or so . That is the belt burnout area . Problem is , the burnout keeps going after the weight is un tucked and its "HOT". This set up has another short weight that comes off to the roller side of the weight and centriugal force pulls the weight against the roller and causes side force . looks like a upside down "L" . the corner being where the pivot pin is . If that makes any sense ?

yep, its why I run MDS weights

plumberdood

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Missoula MT
MDS weights don't solve belt issues on the m1100. There's lots of issues with the sled. Racing Station listed a lot of them earlier this year. My alignment, parallelism, and deflection was spot on and wrecked belts. Making sure snow is not getting on the clutches is huge!!! The big difference for sled that saved belts was OSP motor snubber and Jackshaft support.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

R
Mar 13, 2013
Same concept

The heat issue is caused by the Belt slipping obviously. The primary clutch needs help. Its not completely junk by any means. My sled had very little miles on it when I was able to find a solution WITHOUT blowing a belt and losing my A$$ The difference is ridiculous. Now my sled wants to yank my arms off from the instant torque hit because the belt ISNT slipping.

Give this guy a call, 810-966-5094 ext 6, His name is roger. There is a few of us with his setup and its fantastic. Be skeptical all you want, but taking action and just fixing the dang thing is better than wasting money on belts and praying that Arctic Cat is going to fix their Screw ups. With out that stock set up slipping, you will really feel the true power these sleds have.

-Mega

yep, its why I run MDS weights

You are right on the money ... These just have more leverage out of the gate because they do not have to un-tuck as much to get ahold of the belt because of the arm sticking out a distance . The mds weights kind of has its belly sticking out . length is leverage , but same concept for sure .

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
MDS weights don't solve belt issues on the m1100. There's lots of issues with the sled. Racing Station listed a lot of them earlier this year. My alignment, parallelism, and deflection was spot on and wrecked belts. Making sure snow is not getting on the clutches is huge!!! The big difference for sled that saved belts was OSP motor snubber and Jackshaft support.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Never stated they did fix it, but they apply more pressure to get more performance and in some cases less belt heat, but if everything isn't right usually in my case it makes things worse because it shows the problem areas

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
You are right on the money ... These just have more leverage out of the gate because they do not have to un-tuck as much to get ahold of the belt because of the arm sticking out a distance . The mds weights kind of has its belly sticking out . length is leverage , but same concept for sure .

I would like to see these weights, do you have a pic or website, always curious

R
Mar 13, 2013
Sure thing

I would like to see these weights, do you have a pic or website, always curious

I did not mean to make it sound like you said something , im sorry if i sounded that way . I will see if I can get a pic. of these for ya . These are only for the turbo sleds . the ones i put in are about 112 grams total . They are something to see . It will be tomorrow before I get a chance though . Would be glad to .

R
Mar 13, 2013
Amplifies issues

Never stated they did fix it, but they apply more pressure to get more performance and in some cases less belt heat, but if everything isn't right usually in my case it makes things worse because it shows the problem areas

That is soooo true . Sometimes it will make everything go to H.E.double-toothpick real fast ! It will truly make the bad and the ugly show their faces .knock on wood .. Mine is working great

Premium Features