• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manual Chain Tensioner Installed

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Here are some pictures of manual tensioner installed in M1100 Turbo. These are the parts used on the 600 Sno Pro race sled. My sled has about 275 HP and I checked the chain at 300 miles and 475 miles..estimated. first inspection all good. Second not so much. I knew it was not if but when. IMO the tensioner allows the chain to jump damaging links...and in my case the top sprocket. The pieces damaged most other parts but sled was still running fine.

I think many are running with broken parts prior to the big jammer.

250 miles all good
IMAG0707_zps4f27ab34.jpg

475 miles nos so much
IMAG0718_zpsedcbd400.jpg

Manual Installed
IMAG0728_zps82bbae1a.jpg

Woody

S
Dec 2, 2009
Central Alberta
It is definately a good thing to inspect your chaincase often. I had a vibration under load and never inspected it soon enough. Long story short I have a large parts order coming that includes 2 chaincase half's, stronger chain, gears and the manual tensioner. And I'm only running a evo 215. Would hate to see the carnage a Superchute could create.

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
How tight did you make the chain with the manual adjuster? My chain was jumping also and broke the stock chain and top gear. I have the parts ordered but i'm going to try the aftermarket chain with the stock tensioner first.

L
Dec 7, 2010
adjuster

i have not been inside the chain case yet , is this manual adjuster you put on , can it be used with reverse ?

JBIZ

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2008
Saskatchewan, Canada
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361881632.293422.jpg
Here is the osp tensioner installed with team gears and team hyvo chain. I too lost a case due to the auto tensioner. I didn't want to lose reverse but its just too busy in there for my liking.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
View attachment 201514
Here is the osp tensioner installed with team gears and team hyvo chain. I too lost a case due to the auto tensioner. I didn't want to lose reverse but its just too busy in there for my liking.

I like that plan - good job.
I got the manual tensioner ordered up & I think I am planning on ditching the reverse gearset.
I don't use reverse, and even though I have the update installed I don't want to use reverse....
Plus I am sure losing the rev gearset adds 10hp in less drag. :face-icon-small-ton

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
What is the solution to this problem without loosing reverse? Is there a stronger chain that you can install and maintain reverse? And what manual tensioner is the best set up. And the cost of this stuff? Also who can you get the stronger drive shaft from? And what is the cost of that?
Thanks

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Just in

I received my Belanger jackshaft and bearings ($695), lower sprocket($76) and EVO chain($175) from WKM. Just waiting on the OSP manual tensioner.

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
Stock Parts

I went with the AC Manual ten. and the EVO chain. 600 km with the BC 275 kit, with no probs in the chain case. ( AND I ABUSE IT!!! ) Now if I can get the rest of the sled to hold together...

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Good to know. Is there any one tensioner that offers anything over others?

Toony---- What else on your sled is having trouble staying together?

V
Nov 26, 2007
What is the solution to this problem without loosing reverse? Is there a stronger chain that you can install and maintain reverse? And what manual tensioner is the best set up. And the cost of this stuff? Also who can you get the stronger drive shaft from? And what is the cost of that?
Thanks

Call Scott Taylor Offroad Racing. He has only HYVO gear set that keeps reverse. Many big HP sleds here are running it with 0 failures. 815-979-3428

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
Good to know. Is there any one tensioner that offers anything over others?

Toony---- What else on your sled is having trouble staying together?

Hand warmers, Coolant tank, Rear suspention, Steering, reverse, chain, bolts working loose and falling out, belts...:frusty:

I like the sled. Just piss poor craftsmanship and engineering IMO. The chassis feels great and the engine is strong...The drivetrain is Sh*t.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Does it seem like there just some lemons?
Seems like there the people that have had hell and people that have had zero break downs. Doesn't seem like its any certain types of riding either.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Talked with Scott Taylor today. His kit is $550 untill season starts. Includes top and bottom gears and the hyvo chain. He recommended keeping the stock auto tensioner. He said that they haven't had any problems since changing over to the high quality gears and chain. I sure like the idea of keeping reverse and the auto tensioner!! What's everyone think about pushing the blame on crappy gears/chain. And giving the tensioner the thumbs up?? Seems like everyone has the solution. Some say just the tensioner, some say chain and tensioner and some say just gear and chain???

Premium Features