• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vertical steering post for 1100t

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Is any one working on or building a vertical steering post for the 1100t's?

There has to be some way of making it work, one or two u-joint's, bearing blocks?

I prefer vertical steering, could live without the weak telescopic post though.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Is any one working on or building a vertical steering post for the 1100t's?

There has to be some way of making it work, one or two u-joint's, bearing blocks?

I prefer vertical steering, could live without the weak telescopic post though.

Would only need one universal joint and a 2 bearing bearing block. I don't want to cut my stock steering post to badly. . . Maybe I should see how much a new post is to cut. . .

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
New Steering post is only $60. . Universal joint is about $75. . . Bearing block is likely to be $30. This all is not including my time. . . I was kinda hoping cat would just get it done themselves for $200. But I think we are to the point that we can't expect that to happen. I think I may have to work on this this week. I would have to say the steering does feel funny on the m1100t and a have ridden doos for some time. But rode a pro rmk alot last year. . . Possibly why it feels weird.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I just measured mine tonight. . The closest I can measure is the m1100t steering post is at 40 degrees from straight vertical where the MY11 M8 is 12 degrees from vertical. I am thinking a couple inches forward may make a huge difference with very little work to get there. Just won't be able to use the goggle bag. My main concern with my above listed bearing block and universal joint is that the mount location for the bearing block is going to need to have all the strength in it at that point were as with a long post it has a long distance to try to flex. . . not sure I am explaining it right.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I understand what your saying 583 moving the post ahead will help a little and can be done easily, I just dont think I will like it that far ahead and would like to try it back a bit and straighter up and down like the 2012 M8 is but without it being telescopic. Thanks for your help though, I wish the aftermarket stuff was coming out for this sled faster.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Just a thought I had before changing to the 800 in the spring.

If you lengthen the steering shaft and shorten the riser you will take a lot of the arc out of the swing without going to a pure verticle set-up.
May need a bars-forward type of riser

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I stole these from BDX website. . . I also had emailed them about if they were building this. . . I was kinda waiting around hoping someone would and I could just buy a kit but i don't think that there is enough market.

I think it would be relatively easy to build. I got the ok from the wife to modify something on the new sled. Funny thing is that I never have thought it to be a problem and through some garage riding I found as though the bars felt to be in a weird location. I pulled my hands off the bars and put them in the position they would be on a vertical post setup and it felt much better. So i am likely going to go forward with it.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Geo I like the idea of a longer steering post and a shorter riser, it will help with the arc thats for sure, thanks.
What type of bars forward riser were you thinking about?

Last edited:
W
Nov 30, 2007
Bozeman, MT
kingkat1150 is working on one similar to what he put on the snow pro build very strong and no slop, hope its done soon!:face-icon-small-hap for more details just pm him and he can let you know as much as he is willing to

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I wasn't thinking too much about it but I use a set that mount into the stock bar clamps from the outside and angle in to their own bar clamps above.

You can rotate these 180 degrees front to back. They were made by Mahler.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
After pulling the hood off the sled last night I see one mod that would need to be done to accomdate a post forward kit such as the one that C3 is selling or one like OFT sells for the nytro. The hood in the console area would need to be trimmed as well as the airbox. That is something I am not comfortable with having done on my sled. I feel as though that is something that cat could void warranty from or possibly hurt my trade in value. Not bashing as I think for someone who does not mind the modification to the hood and airbox that is fine but it is not for me.

I am going to go forward(pun intended) with copying a design like BDX. Unfortunately I will not be selling a kit as I have pretty much stole their design. Hoping to get alot done on it in the coming weeks.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
VERTICAL

Just got an email from sales rep. Available in Mid-January from AC.
5639-945 $249.95

Looks kinda wierd/cheap, hopefully the 2013's will be a better setup. Will try on our demo!! If we ever get any snow?

Attachments

• 2012 Vertical Steering Post Kit.pdf
    40.7 KB · Views: 363
E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I hope that someone gets a vertical steering kit done soon. Imho, the post needs to be brought to the rear - exactly where the PC8 adjustable post is.

Premium Features