• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling: Easiest/Cheapest/Most Effective

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
What is the best cooling mod for an 800 Dragon 163 in extremely hard packed snow. It seems to cool off back to 120-125 if I find some softer snow, but that can be hard to come by sometimes. I realize that I might be better off not riding or getting a different sled, but any ideas for how I can make this one work would be great!

I am looking for something that is easy to install/cheap/effective.

Possible Mods:
1) Additional rail mounted scratchers
2) Ski mounted scratchers
3) Non-dragon RMK bulkhead cooler
4) Additional aftermarket tunnel cooler (mounted between coolers in rear of tunnel)
5) hood vents
6) cooling additive such as "water wetter"
7) Longer snow flap
8) Track modifications (please explain)
9) other (I am all ears)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I used water wetter before and i can say that i didnt really notice a difference when i used it. On the bottle it says something about the mixtures u can run it with and the best result is to either run just the water wetter or water wetter and water mix. Using a 50/50 coolant and water and adding water wetter maybe brought my temp down 1-2 degrees if that. just in my experience

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The 1 or 2 degrees isn't much but has anyone tested to see if it takes longer for it to get to a higher temp ? just curious ? it's used in other forms also , firedepartments , agriculture .

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I cant say i noticed a difference in how fast it got up to temp but i know it always climbed fast. PITA! I hate overheating!

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
i would throw the extra cooler from fastrax on it with a longer snowflap. I think that will help u big time! All the snow u r kicking up with ur scratchers is worthless if ur flap wont keep it in the tunnel.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Cant ride my 146 without ice scratchers or slide kicks in icy or hardpack conditons without overheating, wrecked ice scratchers first ride... wrecked slide kicks in 1 season... All the pissed off peeps behind in snow cloud, priceless...

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Remove your thermostat, might not be a complete fix but it will help.
Explain your reasoning for running without the thermostat. Are you thinking that with the thermostat out there is less restrictions so you get better flow? Most engines have problems without thermostats.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Explain your reasoning for running without the thermostat. Are you thinking that with the thermostat out there is less restrictions so you get better flow? Most engines have problems without thermostats.

I haven't had a thermostat in my motor for a while. I have only seen 140, maybe twice. Both on long trails and I have no scratchers.

I normally see around 90 degrees in powder.

No thermo allows all the water from the coolers to go into the motor without heating everything up. Dyne proven, the lower you can get the coolant temps (within reason) the more hp the motor produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
If u want to mess with the thermostat: try taking it out and drilling a few holes in it to allow more coolant to flow through but still allowing the thermostat to function.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If u want to mess with the thermostat: try taking it out and drilling a few holes in it to allow more coolant to flow through but still allowing the thermostat to function.

The thermo is pretty small. It is hard to put holes in it. The one I have already has one hole.

If he is at 150 the thermo is open all the time anyway.

This will allow the motor to start getting colder coolant before everything is heat soaked.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
But that wont help if he is holding high temps anyway. If ur temps r up to where the tstat is open all the time, removing it wont help. he needs a way to cool it down after it is opening.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
But that wont help if he is holding high temps anyway. If ur temps r up to where the tstat is open all the time, removing it wont help. he needs a way to cool it down after it is opening.

Agreed that it won't solve all of his problems. But it will help. The motor will start cooling sooner. Instead of waiting until the sled gets to 130 degrees to open the thermo, it will be cooling before that.

Remove thermostat
Use scratchers
Longer snowflap
Try and find some powder or softer snow when on the trail.

Check that hyfax while you are at it. Probably needs replaced.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
Thanks guys. The longer snowflap is definitely in the works. My track is a 2.4" 5.1 and it has the very end of the lugs curling over. Do you think cutting the last 0.3" and putting screws in the track as F-bomb suggested would throw more or less snow on the coolers?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
No disrespect intended Milehigh... but for most people, pulling the thermostat, IMO, is dangerous...

Many people don't have the patience to warm the motor up properly EACH AND EVERY TIME they start the engine... this includes a a brief stop on the hill to get your location, find a friend or eat lunch.

The thermostat controls the coolant flow best IMO...
I watch pro riders that race RMSHA, or experts that put an azz-whoopin on their sleds in the high load back country riding like Adams/Burandt/Rasmussen/Vohk/Mangum that run the thermostats... I ride in California... scratchers are a must, WaterWetter makes a diff as does a non ported snowflap.

Rather than removing the flexibility of the motor... IMO... increase the cooler capacity where it can make the most difference.... at the rear of the tunnel...

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
80% of my kick up area is U cooler my flap is 20" + I run scrachers in all firm to hard conditions and Im running a 120deg t stat from a storm 800. The snow must be caught by the flap or it will not cool at all...

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Agreed that you do need to properly warm up your sled but it is not that hard to do. It's just that heatsoak is hard to get rid of. Venting could be of some help for your as well. Get some air moving through the motor bay.

I have front and rear Holz Ventz, an above the windshield vent and side panel vents.

Premium Features