• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new cats ? 4 stroke turbo mountain turbo?

what sled intrest you?

• under 500 lb factory 4 stroke turbo in mountain chassis 200 hp.

Votes: 128 30.8%
  • 400 lb new moujntain sled. direct injection 800 ho 175 hp

Votes: 255 61.4%
  • hold over m wait to see how new chassis holds up?

Votes: 24 5.8%
  • turbo hold over .

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Anyone that has fooled with 4 stroke vs 2 stroke in toys knows there is a difference in power delivery, sometimes an avantage sometimes not so, everything I"ve seen in sleds so far its a disadvantage. The hicuping every once in awhile power delivery of a 4 stroke in a sled makes the track want to trench and has a tough time getting up on the snow. A blizzrd of 280 hp in the turbo 4 strokes can be a fun toy in vertical rock hard chutes but a real dissappointment in deep snow boondocking even if they made a 425 lb reasonable hp sled. The deep digging every 4th try power pulse is not user friendly when it comes loose things, swamps /loose sand/ deep gravel on my 4 stroke bikes, and loose snow is even more of a challenge for a hole digging 4 stroke.

Ohh, there's a few 4 stroke sleds I've ridden out there that certainly do not suffer from what you've mentioned above......and the only sleds I can honestly say I've seen dig themselves out of a hole while pointed uphill.
And to say that 280hp in deep fluff is a dissappointment......go pick up a copy of Boost - any of them, but I think it's the first one with Mike, Jason, Carlos playing in the bottomless fluff that they are not suited for deep snow boondocking.
I can't agree more with dirtbikes(with carbs) but the EFI these bikes are running, you do not see a hesitation or chop at all during power delivery. A few years ago I might have agreed with the statement......in the age of EFI....your arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on, sorry.

And the best ride I've ever had on a stock Nytro was a bottomless fluff day when the throttle was WFO. The weight is gone and it feels like a 2-stroke 600. Lots and lots of fun. That footy is on Sledjunkies 2.

Like I said, when it comes to bikes.....I can't agree more.....but add EFI and those problems don't exist.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Ohh, there's a few 4 stroke sleds I've ridden out there that certainly do not suffer from what you've mentioned above......and the only sleds I can honestly say I've seen dig themselves out of a hole while pointed uphill.
And to say that 280hp in deep fluff is a dissappointment......go pick up a copy of Boost - any of them, but I think it's the first one with Mike, Jason, Carlos playing in the bottomless fluff that they are not suited for deep snow boondocking.
I can't agree more with dirtbikes(with carbs) but the EFI these bikes are running, you do not see a hesitation or chop at all during power delivery. A few years ago I might have agreed with the statement......in the age of EFI....your arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on, sorry.

And the best ride I've ever had on a stock Nytro was a bottomless fluff day when the throttle was WFO. The weight is gone and it feels like a 2-stroke 600. Lots and lots of fun. That footy is on Sledjunkies 2.

Like I said, when it comes to bikes.....I can't agree more.....but add EFI and those problems don't exist.

I have to agree with Reeb on this one. Those 4 stroke turbos pull like a freight train and dance on the tail at will. It's just hard to get used to the compression braking, you need a educated thumb!

lookma/nohands

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sidney, Mt
new cats

It would be nice to see a new machine front to back just to calm down the Poo clan! Back to what is real, can Cat really afford to drop a new engine design in with a new chassis, or do they need to stay with the HO and a new chassis(which is what we really need).

On 4-strokes, I don't think there is anyone out there that wouldn't love to have a turbo 4 under 480 pounds.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think the trenching feeling is due to the weight of most 4 strokes, there are not many 450lb or less 4 stokes out there, not many at all, but the one I know of is no dog, it flat gets it no matter what. No different then riding a 07 m1000 stock vs a 2011 m8.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think everyone wants the 800 motor in a new chassis. A 4 stroke in a lighter sled would be cool for some but look at how many are on the yamaha site. A lot of people have went back to 2 stroke turboes. They don't have the power but are 10 times more fun. I don't miss my t-nytro. Even if they came with a 480 pound turboed 4 it won't be as fun as a 430 pound 2 stroke with a turbo. If They come with a new chassis that matches up with the pro they will have the bomb with the cat motor and reliability. They just need to be a little lighter, fix their steering and suspension. I would love to see them offer something besides float shocks. AS of right now I would buy a pro and I have a turboed cat that is awesome. Hope they don't let me down.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
i dunno a kitty cat big bore 150cc sinlge turbo is looking pretty good. under 100lbs. things a beastin!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It is going to be heavier than we want, but lighter than anything else out there right now. It will change the 4 stroke mountain segment quite a bit. I have been riding a Nytro since 2008 and it is OK, but not the answer we need in the mountains.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I hope Cat does come to the table with a 4 stroke turbo, sign me up if:

1. It is sub 525 lbs
  2. It is 180 hp at elevation - like the current Z1 Turbo
  3. It has almost 0 turbo lag at altitude (I do not want to go back to the M7 engine feeling)
  4. It feels light both in the deep and on the trail
  5. It side hills and carves like a mofo just like the current M series

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i am guessing cat will sell a lot of sleds in 2014 just before they start building their own engines. imo this is not a good thing for cat suzuki builds a great engine and people buy them for that reason. polaris has certainly proven they cant build a reliable 2 stroke domestic engine and im not sure cat can either.

The whole reason for the new chassis is to put a four stroke in it. You know they have a 4 stroke motor plant right. They make there own 4 stroke engines already.

Bringing It Back To Minnesota

Arctic Cat Announces Plan to Begin Manufacturing Snowmobile Engines in Minnesota

Arctic Cat to begin manufacturing snowmobile engines in its St. Cloud facility after 2014 model year

MINNEAPOLIS, June 10, 2010 – Arctic Cat Inc. (NASDAQ: ACAT) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to transition its snowmobile engine manufacturing from Suzuki Motor Corporation. Arctic Cat will begin manufacturing some of its own snowmobile engines in St. Cloud, Minn., after the 2014 model year. Currently, Suzuki supplies all engines for Arctic Cat’s snowmobiles. Suzuki will continue to supply the company with engine parts to service existing engines after the 2014 model year.

Commented Arctic Cat’s chairman and chief executive officer Christopher A. Twomey: “Suzuki has been an outstanding engine supply partner for more than 25 years and remains a significant shareholder in Arctic Cat. However, we are changing our engine strategy in order to gain more control over our products, and enhance our ability to meet regulatory and performance requirements. This also will enable us to better utilize our current engine manufacturing capacity, resulting in potentially better costs.”

Twomey added: “Our St. Cloud engine facility has been a great addition for the company since we began manufacturing our ATV engines there in 2007.”

The 56,000-square- foot plant is located on 15 acres and currently employs 41 people. At this time, the company plans to use existing plant capacity and personnel during the transition. Arctic Cat expects snowmobile engine production to begin in St. Cloud in fiscal 2015.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
I buy cat for one reason..... They work in the mountains. The fact that skudsuki builds the engines has been something I have over looked because the rest of the sled was built here in the good old USA. When Cat starts building there own engines because they made an UNPRECEDENTED move to invest in a state of the art engine facility, and move production home when the rest of the U.S. is moving out. God Bless America and God Bless Cat for making such a bold statement. Dont miss understand me, I do understand everyones concern. Most think the japs are the only people that can build an engine. Iv been doing it for many years and some of the most volumetric efficient and durable engines are built by AMERICANS in the USA . The fact is Cats engine facility is far more advanced than anything suzuki and many others have. Sign me up right now for the first AMERICAN BUILT CAT sled motor.
and dont forget to vote DW 2012 :cheer2:

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
From what I gather suzuki has shares in AC, and cat built a engine plant and Suzuki will help with design. Maybe its a way to make it cheaper, a lot of the cost is from tariff taxes (I think there is a 30% import tax) and shipping. No different than someone slapping there name on a motor, Duramax/Isuzu. Get what I'm saying or at least what I hope.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
kitty cat 150cc big bore turbo.......................................

I think they would sell the crap out of a mid size sled.even more a hoped up toy dad could play with around the block.how many guys you know going from a 120 to some 20 yr old enticer or something then back to a new 8g M5or m6 a few yrs latter.studies say no but I think they would sell.Btw from what I understand cat is not fully compliant this yr but are hoping to be fully compliant next yr

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Well thats all warm and fuzzy, but fact is the japanese do build better engines and the suzuki 2 strokes arctic cat uses have for the most part always been very reliable and durable. You say cat will be the first american built sled motor?? Where have you been?? polaris started building the domestic twin 700 in 1997. thats 13+ years. Tens of thousands of snapped cranks later and they still havent got it right. But someone has to be the guniea pig so have at it you might as well get 2 or 3. i myself wont buy one after they start making their own engines.

I buy cat for one reason..... They work in the mountains. The fact that skudsuki builds the engines has been something I have over looked because the rest of the sled was built here in the good old USA. When Cat starts building there own engines because they made an UNPRECEDENTED move to invest in a state of the art engine facility, and move production home when the rest of the U.S. is moving out. God Bless America and God Bless Cat for making such a bold statement. Dont miss understand me, I do understand everyones concern. Most think the japs are the only people that can build an engine. Iv been doing it for many years and some of the most volumetric efficient and durable engines are built by AMERICANS in the USA . The fact is Cats engine facility is far more advanced than anything suzuki and many others have. Sign me up right now for the first AMERICAN BUILT sled motor.
and dont forget to vote DW 2012 :cheer2:

Last edited:

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
the thing we all hve to worry about is cat 4 strokes do not start in the winter.

i have had 3 different wheellers prowlers and what nots they will not start below freezing

have to push inside and heat up to start

how is that goin to work on a sled

F
Apr 5, 2009
the thing we all hve to worry about is cat 4 strokes do not start in the winter.

i have had 3 different wheellers prowlers and what nots they will not start below freezing

are 03 400 cat wheeler starts unless its been 20 plus for a week. go out full choke hit starter bump throttle and taaaaaadaaa.

A
Jan 16, 2008

i would imagine there is a significant difference between a wheeler engine and the motor they put in the Z1

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Well thats all warm and fuzzy, but fact is the japanese do build better engines and the suzuki 2 strokes arctic cat uses have for the most part always been very reliable and durable. You say cat will be the first american built sled motor?? Where have you been?? polaris started building the domestic twin 700 in 1997. thats 13+ years. Tens of thousands of snapped cranks later and they still havent got it right. But someone has to be the guniea pig so have at it you might as well get 2 or 3. i myself wont buy one after they start making their own engines.

I never said Cat was the first to build a sled motor in the U.S. I said good for them for bringing it home. I know Polaris has built engines in the U.S. for years with mixed success. The argument that japan builds better engines is a good one but still just an opinion and I will agree that the suzuki has by far been the best of the 3 . Because poo has failed does not mean cat will. And yes I will own 1 or 2 or 3 and have no doubt they will be every bit the engine the suzuki is. Thats the problem with the U.S. ........ Patriotism is dead. If you like Japan stuff so much ....Move there. And on a side note ....I just finished up one of these. 3500 hp 622 ci of ALCOHOL BURNING PISSED OFF AMERICAN HEMI. ( my real job) lets see the japs try that IMG_0122.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features