• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I should have known. I need some help now.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
I bought an 07 RMK 600 that needed some work. Here is the story. Original motor burned down due to carb boot failure. New crank, rods,pistons....

Motor failed again early after the rebuild. PTO piston is destroyed. Piston top chewed up and so is the head and cyl. New cyl, head and piston on their way.

For prevention, I tore the mag side down also and it has issues also. in looking @ the cyl damage near the exhaust ports, it looks almost the same. Just that the mag side had not grenaded like the PTO side yet.

Top and bottom of the exhaust port has almost exactly the same marks. Here is a picture of the pto side that had the damaged top of the piston and head. The 2nd picture is of the mag side that has the same exact marks, but teh piston had not failed yet. You can see the mag piston has broken a piece off between the rings, so it was close.

What would be causing the marks on the ports? Any pointers?

Picture 002.jpg Picture 001.jpg Picture 003.jpg rmk600.JPG

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
One piston still has ID on the top so I can check it. If not, what side should the ring pins be on? Intake or exhaust.

The motor was put together by the previous owner, not me. I am just trying to salvage it.

I would not be surprised if he put them in wrong. Thanks for the advice.

Also, are stock pistons the best to use again? I don't think I can swing the 660 yet.

**Surprise, the arrow on the top of the undestroyed piston was pointing to the intake. Ring pins were on the exhaust side.

Great diagnosis. Thanks

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Gotta love it when morons try to fix stuff huh!?

You should be in a good shape once ya get it back together.

Premium Features