• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REALLY!!!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That power comparison shows the Doo 850 STOMPS on the Poo everywhere but the very top of the powerband and there they are basically equal. That’s what it feels like riding them too. The Doo has 20 more HP where you can always use it. That is huge.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Well.... Your old? Haha jk. I like a good looking sled.

Heck, I don't know...I'm trying not to be old...but things like waking up, moving, sledding and thinking too much about sled colors gets more difficult every year. I'm with ya man...I like me a good looking sled. But the reality is that I want my riding to be more impressive than the colors. But that might not happen anymore....so maybe I should be more worried about the colors. LOL

N
Mar 7, 2018
That power comparison shows the Doo 850 STOMPS on the Poo everywhere but the very top of the powerband and there they are basically equal. That’s what it feels like riding them too. The Doo has 20 more HP where you can always use it. That is huge.

They are pretty damn equal, imagine shifting the Polaris power curve left 3-400 RPM and they would about sit on each other..

It's just a clutching and gearing game at that point.

SNODT0219_AgraphCHART.jpg

Last edited:
U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Agreed. And at that point, it's all about chassis/suspension/geometry.
As far as power to the snow goes, the AXYS is the superior product. I didn't understand why Polaris harps so much on instantaneous lift until I went out for my first pow day on my gen4 and spent the day trenching. Anybody with an 850 AXYS looking to jump ship to Doo?

N
Mar 7, 2018
That is close to the dumbest thing ive ever read on here.

Can you elaborate?

The advantage of a CVT is it's ability to hold the engine on the power curve while the ratio changes. Obviously with similar power at lower engine speed, there is a torque advantage for the Ski-Doo, but again - gear ratios, torque multiplication, and CVT efficiency come into play. We're also only talking a couple hundred of RPM difference in the power curve right around 8000 RPM.. There's about a 3-4 ft-lb difference in torque

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Can you elaborate?

The advantage of a CVT is it's ability to hold the engine on the power curve while the ratio changes. Obviously with similar power at lower engine speed, there is a torque advantage for the Ski-Doo, but again - gear ratios, torque multiplication, and CVT efficiency come into play. We're also only talking a couple hundred of RPM difference in the power curve.. There's maybe a 3-4 ft-lb difference in torque

On top of that, it doesn't matter if its a CVT or not really. 165hp is 165hp. Doesn't matter what RPM it is, as long as you're riding WOT at the RPM where peak power is.

I don't climb hills at part throttle and 7500 RPM.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota

Do a better job clutching and you will have your poo in the proper powerband just the same as your doo. Clutch for the proper rpm of your motor. The two motors have a different torque curve and powerband. Clutch them accordingly.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
They are pretty damn equal, imagine shifting the Polaris power curve left 3-400 RPM and they would about sit on each other..

It's just a clutching and gearing game at that point.

That’s not how a graph works, must be the new math they teach in schools or you missed that class. You compare power at the SAME rpm. Your Pro might not be able to get to its top rpm if it can’t pull thru 7000 rpm. What they don’t show is the torque curves and they are probably even more difference from Doo to Poo. Torque is what gets you out of the hole and up thru the trees especially when it’s tight. Torque is acceleration, hp is speed.
One of reasons why the Doo has a reputation as more of a trencher is most guys ride it in the tough spots flipper to the bar. Track is digging more than pushing and it trenches. You can ride a Doo on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle a LOT and let the sled come up on top of the snow and not just dig in. Just backing off full throttle to half most of the time I have the same track speed, same engine RPM and way better flotation.
I’ll give the advantage to Poo on weight, clutching and being easier to ride in the most technical terrain. The Doo def has the better engine, is more reliable, better build quality, better fuel efficiency( oil use is ridiculous, give that to Poo lol) and I think is the better sled for MOST of mountain riders especially in coastal snow.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
That’s not how a graph works, must be the new math they teach in schools or you missed that class. You compare power at the SAME rpm. Your Pro might not be able to get to its top rpm if it can’t pull thru 7000 rpm. What they don’t show is the torque curves and they are probably even more difference from Doo to Poo. Torque is what gets you out of the hole and up thru the trees especially when it’s tight. Torque is acceleration, hp is speed.
One of reasons why the Doo has a reputation as more of a trencher is most guys ride it in the tough spots flipper to the bar. Track is digging more than pushing and it trenches. You can ride a Doo on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle a LOT and let the sled come up on top of the snow and not just dig in. Just backing off full throttle to half most of the time I have the same track speed, same engine RPM and way better flotation.
I’ll give the advantage to Poo on weight, clutching and being easier to ride in the most technical terrain. The Doo def has the better engine, is more reliable, better build quality, better fuel efficiency( oil use is ridiculous, give that to Poo lol) and I think is the better sled for MOST of mountain riders especially in coastal snow.

One Word- CLUTCHING. Seems as though you are having a hard time grasping this. Clutch for the rpm of your motor, which in this case is about 3-400 rpm higher than a doo. If you can't get through a certain rpm to get to your peak power band, you aren't clutched/geared correctly.

Honest question, if you are running your doo 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, how can you tell the difference in your earlier stated "20hp everywhere you need it"? Especially if you pin it and it just trenches?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

Matte is definitely on to something here. If you are old, fat, an average rider, a glacier cruiser, a meadow powder, and/or a ditch banger the Doo is a better sled. They definitely appear to make more low end power, I think this is mostly because the 3" track, and probably hold up better to abuse than a Poo. He's completely wrong about torque getting you through the trees but I have seen him ride and technical riding is not his strong part. The Doo does not get up on the snow like a Polaris in ANY kind of snow conditions that I have ever been in. I've never been to Utah or Colorado. Again I think the track has a lot to do with this. Doos attack angle sucks and that 3" with 3.5 pitch moves snow like no one's business. The Polaris doesn't need the power the Doo does to get through technical terrain. You can give an AWD car a bazillion horse power but it will never beat a 600 street bike on a windy track.

N
Mar 7, 2018

You are really showing your ignorance of basic concepts of gearing and torque multiplication. You are looking at one component and not the system. I went to quite a few classes and learned a bit of math getting my masters in engineering, but believe what you want.

We're not direct driving a waterpump or some other stationary piece of equipment here where your logic might make some sense.

If your sled is clutched correctly, it is holding the low ratio (~4 x torque x final drive ratio) during acceleration until it hits the peak power RPM and proceeds to shift out and reduce ratio to gain speed. Yes, a nice flat torque curve is important here, but torque flow and multiplication is equally or more important. If it is sitting at 7000 RPM and not getting past that, it is clutched incorrectly or there is something messed up that is robbing power from your engine, period. Anywhere in between, the CVT will react to whatever torque it is provided by your thumb to land on a ratio to provide the torque at the track. It is a dynamic system.

Last edited:
R
Feb 26, 2008
While sleds spend a lot of time at WFO, you'll still be surprised how little time is spent there. You still need the power under the curve to get going and recover. RPM change from midrange to top is not instantaneous and if it, you're giving up acceleration.

Premium Features