• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
So tell me, when was the last time Cat sold motors that were seizing up during break in? The primary clutches were an every 2000 mile rebuild/replace for years until they switched to Team but, I went through two clutches on my Axys in less than 1200 miles. No other manufacturer rivals the junk motors Polaris has sold to the public over the last 15 years, not even close. Polaris needs to do something for customers because they keep putting garbage on the market and letting you test it. They easily won the least likely to be a reliable sled prize with the 900, the 800 Dragon and now the 850 patriot.

Happy Riding!

12 through 14 cat had lots of clutch failures and fuel pump failures also put them at the end of a rope. Who was just bought out by textron for cheap. If Yamaha wouldn't have stepped in there would be no cat. I don't keep sleds that long anyway. In 2021 I will have a new one. Polaris is taking a page from the auto industry and ag industries they don't want anyone to fix there products but them. It's where we are headed get used to it.

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
12 through 14 cat had lots of clutch failures and fuel pump failures also put them at the end of a rope. Who was just bought out by textron for cheap. If Yamaha wouldn't have stepped in there would be no cat. I don't keep sleds that long anyway. In 2021 I will have a new one. Polaris is taking a page from the auto industry and ag industries they don't want anyone to fix there products but them. It's where we are headed get used to it.

Textron has once owned Polaris as well. Just sayin

N
Mar 7, 2018
The crankshafts are NOT made by Fuji Heavy Industries, or by MAPE ...... They hung both of those great vendors out to dry.... and went down a cheaper road.

Lung Ku builds their 850 crankshafts. ( you think that's located in America ...... ) ahhhhhh ......NO I don't think so.

Hate to let the truth get in the way of a good story, but Fuji has stopped supplying engine components to any external companies and Mape cranks were not known for their quality. I'm sure there was a reason Polaris stepped away from them completely in the last several model years of the 800. It is not unrealistic to get quality components from Taiwan + neither Mape or Fuji is based in the US.

https://www.oemoffhighway.com/engin...g-subaru-industrial-power-products-operations

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Polaris is taking a page from the auto industry and ag industries they don't want anyone to fix there products but them. It's where we are headed get used to it.

Bingo !! You are exactly right !! And as i said......I am at war against that happeneing......I maybe can't stop them from doing it but they can't stop me from creating the biggest Polaris engine aftermarket company in the USA.

Sound like Dan is going to need a bigger shop. Maybe he will go corporate and sell stock.

And Bingo again......we have about 8500 square feet right now, and we are looking at a new location just shy of 40,000 square feet.

We are planning on starting a Polaris owners club.... Not 100% figured out yet, But when you buy a motor from Indy Specialty you will automaticly be enlisted in the group and you will have skin in the game and then qualify for future discounts and new future development projects..... it will happen a little slower then i prefer for capital reasons, But my banker is egar to help so i guess we will see what happens.

If the new location goes thru we will also be offering our own in house full CAD/CAM training, CNC machining, & Robotics Automation training School to help create new employees and training for other local Machine companies.

I was unsure of making this huge step a few months ago, But The 850 Polaris and terrible parts availability of the new motor has enraged me to expand deep into being a much bigger player in the motor game.

Plus i am just old enough and been around long enough to know a pretty good number of Polaris vendors..... and the inside into the industry isn't near as complex and mystical as it use to be.

When i saw the parts break down of the crankshaft......and also ZERO availabilty like the 900 crank and then the piston Price I kind of knew where this needs to go.

So ..... that being said I will post a video sometime next week of one of our 850 crankshaft build projects coming out of the CNC Machine.

For now thats all I know.......Half scared chitless and excited at the same time.

:juggle:

Dan

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Bingo !! You are exactly right !! And as i said......I am at war against that happeneing......I maybe can't stop them from doing it but they can't stop me from creating the biggest Polaris engine aftermarket company in the USA.

And Bingo again......we have about 8500 square feet right now, and we are looking at a new location just shy of 40,000 square feet.

We are planning on starting a Polaris owners club.... Not 100% figured out yet, But when you buy a motor from Indy Specialty you will automaticly be enlisted in the group and you will have skin in the game and then qualify for future discounts and new future development projects..... it will happen a little slower then i prefer for capital reasons, But my banker is egar to help so i guess we will see what happens.

If the new location goes thru we will also be offering our own in house full CAD/CAM training, CNC machining, & Robotics Automation training School to help create new employees and training for other local Machine companies.

I was unsure of making this huge step a few months ago, But The 850 Polaris and terrible parts availability of the new motor has enraged me to expand deep into being a much bigger player in the motor game.

Plus i am just old enough and been around long enough to know a pretty good number of Polaris vendors..... and the inside into the industry isn't near as complex and mystical as it use to be.

When i saw the parts break down of the crankshaft......and also ZERO availabilty like the 900 crank and then the piston Price I kind of knew where this needs to go.

So ..... that being said I will post a video sometime next week of one of our 850 crankshaft build projects coming out of the CNC Machine.

For now thats all I know.......Half scared chitless and excited at the same time.

Dan

Maybe Polaris will just sell us a roller chasis and drop it off at dans for a motor install. Life would be all good.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Dan, if you're building up that much (which would be awesome), you should come out with your own line of motors! Yeah, I know, that's probably not commercially viable for anything short of a major corporation, but a man can dream! I'm also disappointed, but not surprised, that Polaris is moving towards a unitized, controlled approach to parts. It's not surprising because a five-year-old sled is worth less than half it's purchase price (and that's if it's been kept up and probably had a couple thousand dollars put into it since new). That's one that's probably still got good parts availability, by the way. As sleds get more powerful and complex, you either have to raise prices or cut corners and service-life engineer every nut and bolt – same as with cars – and guess which one is easier to sell? I, for one, would rather spend a couple thousand extra for a sled with twice the service life (and I'm pretty sure I'm in the ballpark with those numbers), but for most of the market it's the opposite. People already buy things solely because they're new, so product life cycles keep shortening. Anyway, I'm glad someone is investing in something that'll help people like me keep my stuff going whether the OEM likes it or not!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Maybe Polaris will just sell us a roller chasis and drop it off at dans for a motor install. Life would be all good.

That would be pretty sweet! Unfortunately, I don't see that happening even though they could probably make a little money if they did it right. It would take a lot of sales potential for them to even consider it, and I doubt the market would remotely support that.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Dan
I hereby apply for a spot at Indy Specialty University clutch lathe training class. I don’t even care how much it costs. The experience is invaluable. Can we do the class in summer? Minnesota winters are way cold.

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Apparently you haven't visited the ascender forum lately.

Regardless, dan makes some good points about parts availability and post warranty that I hadn't previously considered. Thanks

Apparently when you go to the ascender forum you only read the titles... Dan posts 7 of 12 down on one group and you want to compare that to 2 Cat motors from last year? You should definitely keep sending Polaris money and getting what you deserve...screwed for being so foolish.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Apparently when you go to the ascender forum you only read the titles... Dan posts 7 of 12 down on one group and you want to compare that to 2 Cat motors from last year? You should definitely keep sending Polaris money and getting what you deserve...screwed for being so foolish.

Enough already! We get it. You got a grief with Polaris. You ever here the song MOVE ON ! :eyebrows:

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Enough already! We get it. You got a grief with Polaris. You ever here the song MOVE ON ! :eyebrows:

At least big ten has stated he used to ride pi, and had problems (I think) so he's not hiding his grudge.- CLEARLY. But I agree, this thread is full of cat guys bitching and stirring the pot. If u go to the cat forums, nobody is there so they have nothing to fill their empty days with.
Big10, d1100t, catdieselpower. Dear God, they are in a boy band. "screw polaris, cat is god, you are all stupid, go indydan" is their literal song. They could've made an album by now as many times as I've heard it.
If you dont believe me, go back through this thread and every other one on the axys forum

Premium Features