• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OSV Meetings

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
If you are into snowmobiling you need to go. I went tonight in Truckee. I will be going to the meeting tomorrow the 4th at Sierraville Ranger Station. March 5th is at Sierra City Community Hall and March 9th is at Foresthill Fire Department. They are all from 4 to 7. Time went fast as we all had a lot to talk about. Hope to see every one there.

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
What are the meeting about

This is a proposed over the vehicle snow plan. I ended up going to two meetings. I asked a lot of questions and did not get a lot of answers. They are proposing that we only have two crossings on the Pacific crest Trail. This is not going to work. The law states that there is no snowmobiling on the PTC. The other issue is that they are proposing 6 inches of snow to be on the road and 12 inches of snow to get off the road. My big question here is where they're going to measure the snow. The parking lot or up the road? They are taking and need all comments by March 24. You could make comments on the forest service website. After that they will be drafting the plan. Then the Forest service will have more meetings to comment on the plan.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Here's a copy from the land use forum with all the necessary links.

Here is the list of meetings Tahoe NF will be holding... It sounds like a good way to show support and learn about the plan... all comments on the new plan are due 3/25/15 also there is a link to the website to add your input. There is a map so you can add specific areas or just general comments. you can also see all the comments that have been made already. So far only 4 people have commented on the map and all of them from people who want to shut down sleds in specific areas or change the rule from 6" to 18" Also there is another link to post letters of concern and only 11 people have posted here only one of these is snowmobile sportive. Please be nice when commenting we don't wanna come off the wrong way but we all need to give our input to keep our access!

March 2: Nevada City, Tahoe National Forest Supervisor’s Office (631 Coyote St)

March 3: Truckee, Truckee Ranger Station (10811 Stockrest Springs Road)

March 4: Sierraville, Sierraville Ranger Station (317 South Lincoln Street)

March 5: Sierra City, Sierra City Community Hall (13 Castagna Alley)

March 9: Foresthill, Foresthill Fire Department (24320 Main Street)

http://my.usgs.gov/ppgis/studio/launch/26649 This is the link to the map page... its kinda hard to figure out how to use but you can click on the different spots where people have made comments

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//CommentInput?Project=45914 This is the link for general comments

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//ReadingRoom?Project=45914
Here you can see the different letters that have come in...

I Talked to Michael J. Woodbridge, Public Affairs Officer, Tahoe National Forest, (530) 478-6205 today and he said all the meetings will be the same and we don't need to go to more than one to show support its just more informative.

I am planning on writing and filling out the map section after I here what they have to say. Either way you do it just make sure you do and do it by 3/25/15 Thank you

You should read the comments. A few people who don't know the history want Castle Peak closed on the north side, and closed all the way to paradise lake just below the south side of Carpenter ridge. Obviously this is insane. Let the FS know this, even though they aren't proposing it at this time. They might based on the existing comments.

As far as the PCT thing, this is not a new law. That's been the case since forever. It's absurd, but mostly it's unenforceable. I honestly wouldn't make too big a deal of it because it brings attention to the fact that snowmobilers cross the thing on a regular basis as it sits under multiple feet of snow all over the west coast, while never ever seeing anyone hiking on the thing (as if they could even find it). Interstates cross the thing, a sled several feet above it shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it IS at sonora pass and anyone who's seen that mess doesn't want the same thing being attempted everywhere else. Honestly, I'd just let it go and let them designate their crossings. Dealing with the larger issue of the absurdity of the law is far beyond the scope of this one office in this one forest in this one state.

But yes, I'll be speaking up on the minimum depth requirements too. 3 inches of groomed snow is absolutely fine just like everyone with any experience knows.........

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Don Amador, from the Blue Ribbon Coalition, was at the Foresthill Meeting. He was handing out a land use update from the BRC regarding the new OSV rules.

The most important paragraph is below,

"It is important that we protect against efforts to portray the settlement (Wildlands Network vs USFS) as requiring, or even suggesting, that the agency must institute new restrictions on OSV use. The settlement is purely procedural, and does not dictate, or even imply, ANY substantive outcome. There is nothing in either the specific language or existence of the settlement agreement that requires any restrictions on existing OSV use."

Personally, I will not agree to any additional closures or restrictions in OSV use with the exception of the one acre area around historical building in Robinson Flat.

I will not consent to Loch Leven, Indepence Parcels or designated PCT crossings. For twenty plus years I have been told that we need to compromise with the environmentalists regarding land usage.

All that compromise has done nothing for OHV and OSV usage other than making our riding areas smaller.

Make sure to submit a comment to USFS regarding no new restrictions on OSV--

there are currently 109,808 areas designated as OSV prohibited in the current plan, including:

North Yuba Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Babbit Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Steep Hollow Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Kyburz Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Sagehen Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Indepence Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Donner Summit Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Onion Valley Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Truckee River Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Pole Creek Motor Vehicle Closure Area

North Fork American River Closure Area

Alpine Meadows Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Placer Big Trees Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Oak Flat Motor Vehicle Closure Area

Granite Chief Wilderness

Make sure USFS knows that you feel there does not need to be anymore.

Write your comments here,https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//CommentInput?Project=45914

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks murph!

I saw what I think was your comment on the 'reading room' page.
Good stuff.

Winter Wildlands and Snowlands must be sending out their action alerts. Lots of letters reading the same.

snomoride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2009
Sierra Village Ca.
Travel plan

Well we had of our 4 meetings last night about our Closers here on the Stanislaus National Forest, Well there gaining speed guy's as per the Map if they get there way we well lose more than half of our riding area that we have right now, The enviro's and even some of the Forest folks are just well I would say it but you know!!
It is amazing that we can not get the support that we need even from our own riders, I wasn't able to go last night because of work but my wife went , there was only about 6 riders there in support of our goals the rest were Forest and Enviros they keep pounding the point about more closer and more Law Enforcement to keep us in line and monitor the Damage that we cause!
One of our Forest people(off road biologist) kept telling my wife to cool her jets and take a breath as they were (Sierra Club) telling there lies about how we Damage the ground and harass the wildlife when we ride, of course when asked about proof they do not have any and said they do not have to.

They also were attacking the Open area at the top of Sonora Pass that we just got opened up 3 years ago they want that back and closed.

GET INVOLVED AND PAY ATTENTION:face-icon-small-sad

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
This is just BS. We ride on snow not dirt. When the snow melts there's not one ounce of evidence that we've even been there. A horse or a bicycle in the summertime does way more damage.

snomoride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2009
Sierra Village Ca.
Travel Plan

Yep !! That was brought to there attention last night . THEY DON'T CARE !! There is a group of us forming and looking at attacking the big 3 that started this. We may need help. We only have 45 days to get SH!T together or were F$#@ED !!

If anyone has rode on HWY 108 , Eagle Meadows, Long Valley, Sonora Pass we will be restricted to only the roads! No off trail at ALL. As Per the meeting last night.

Citing Frogs, Fox, Bunnies, And Damaged Meadows from the pack snow from the machines.

We know the truth but they do not so we need to let them know. We are making a Petition that should be out by next week hoping for around a thousand signature's.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
This is just BS. We ride on snow not dirt. When the snow melts there's not one ounce of evidence that we've even been there. A horse or a bicycle in the summertime does way more damage.

Don't forget how much impact a HUMAN has on the earth compared to snowmobiles.

Ther is no replacement for displacement.

Snowmobiles distribute the weight many times more than my foot !

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Yep !! That was brought to there attention last night . THEY DON'T CARE !! There is a group of us forming and looking at attacking the big 3 that started this. We may need help. We only have 45 days to get SH!T together or were F$#@ED !!

If anyone has rode on HWY 108 , Eagle Meadows, Long Valley, Sonora Pass we will be restricted to only the roads! No off trail at ALL. As Per the meeting last night.

Citing Frogs, Fox, Bunnies, And Damaged Meadows from the pack snow from the machines.

We know the truth but they do not so we need to let them know. We are making a Petition that should be out by next week hoping for around a thousand signature's.

What is the truth?

snomoride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2009
Sierra Village Ca.
OSV Meeting

Well they have no proof, At the last meeting here on the Stanislaus my wife and others at that meeting asked for proof the ONLY thing that was brought up was the Frog and the Sierra Red Fox.

Frog, this Frog is only out in meadows at spring melt and photo'd this Frog coming of Hibernation , the question was asked hoe did you get this picture They the FS drove in to this area in a pickup on a road that had been opened to the public last year after the season ended.

Fox, the Fox was photo'd coming out of his den on Vertical slope above the tree line on the East side of Sonora Pass heavily treed and again Mid Spring .

None of these test were done when there was any snowmobiles in the area we couldn't even get there even if there was Snow for the Fox .

The Frog is deep in the Mud below the Snow where it is warm feet under snow.

All of this came from the Stanislaus Forest Bio People

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
^^^^as stated above-- use the link and site (and notate) the SCIENTIFIC studies, that are listed, in your comments

The environmental movements hate it when facts disagree with their personal bias.

Here is a commenter who called me out by name (TWICE!) after reading my comments. I guess the truth hurts.

Here is what she had to say, and what we are up against.

"Date submitted (UTC): 3/26/2015 12:47:10 AM First name: Diane
Last name: Gleason
Organization:
Title:
Official Representative/Member Indicator:
Address1: 550 E Arbor Ave
Address2:
City: Sunnyvale
State: CA
Province/Region:
Zip/Postal Code: 94085
Email: gleasondiane@yahoo.com
Phone:
Comments:
Greetings, I am an avid backcountry enthusiast. I ski, snowshoe, and hike.
To quote the plan:
?The Tahoe National Forest Land and Resource Management Plan (Forest Plan) provides management direction for OSV use across the approximately 829,510 acres of Tahoe National Forest lands as follows: Approximately 669,537 acres of NFS land are open to off-trail cross-country OSV use;
Approximately 109,808 acres of NFS land are closed to OSV use;?
To me this sounds like the OSV users are allocated quite a bit of public land to use. One of your commenters, Michael Murphy, complains that the non-OSV users are allocated too much compared to the OSV users. I do realize that cross country skiers can ski on the OSV land, but please do recognize that the back country skiing is vastly different in OSV vs non-OSV land. I suppose to someone who rides an OSV and is constantly listening to the loud sound, the sound doesn?t seem excessive. But to someone who is enjoying the solitude of the backcountry, OSVs are indeed quite loud and disruptive. Also, to those who ride OSVs, they move so fast that they don?t notice or smell the exhaust that makes a trail along their path, like a big smelly tail. But those of us on foot or snowshoe or ski are then left in the exhaust tail of the OSVs.
There are plenty of motorized objects in our world. Unlike Michael Murphy, I cannot afford to live in Truckee, and I go to the Sierras to get away from the traffic and noise and pollution of the cities and roads. Backcountry skiing on the same land that is open to OSVs is not relaxing nor rewarding. Noise and pollution do not belong in the solitude of the backcountry.
I support less land open to OSV use."

Please make a well thought out comment supporting OSV use.

Murph

sierra sleder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 20, 2008
Montana
Link

Hay guys can we get a link that works to the comments section please?
The above links no good.
Embarrassing.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.

Yeah, and we pay money to do so!

Horses, bikes, and the like... Not so much!!!

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Typical anti - OSV comment

What we are up against. Another non OSV user comment
Date submitted (UTC): 3/25/2015 6:49:33 PM

First name: mark
Last name: kircher
Organization: Snowlands Network and Winter Wildlands Alliance Title:
Official Representative/Member Indicator:
Member Address1: 7189 2nd ave
Address2
City: tahoma
State: CA
Province/Region:
Zip/Postal Code: 96142

Email: tahomus@sbcglobal.net

Phone: 530 525-1919

Comments:

Comments to the scoping notice on Over-Snow Vehicle Use Designation

Any management plan that does not further restrict snowmobile access from current levels will effectively be reducing the available terrain for quiet low impact winter recreation, compared to what was available when those rules were originally made.

The kind of snowmobiles that folks use these days didn?t even exist thirty years ago, when I started back country skiing here. These machines can now access places that weren?t even an issue when the rules were made. And at the same time there has been a boom in the popularity of backcountry skiing, likewise due in part to improved technology except that the commensurate increase in impact has been geometric not exponential. Ski gear has improved but you still have to push it with your own muscles. it doesn?t do all the work for you, so there are natural limits to range and impact. Not so with the new breed of snow machines. We have a very uneven playing field, so to speak. That?s where proper management should come in.

Your prior restrictions on snowmobile access were an acknowledgement that these machines do indeed have an impact on both the resource and other users. So to not increase restrictions on snowmobiles as the mobility and numbers of these machines has increased is inconsistent and neglectful. This is an undemocratic allocation of available resources. Why should a handful of noisy users be allowed to scare off a majority of lower impact users? How is this fair? We don?t have paid industry lobbyists to speak for us, no vested interest beyond our love of the mountains. We must rely on your good faith and judgment.

The situation on Mt. Rose is a perfect parody of proper snow mobile management. To allow snowmobiling on an area that?s only a few square miles, right up against a wilderness area, along a road where families go sledding, is ludicrous and the agency should be held liable for such mismanagement. It makes no sense. You have snow mobiles hurtling past families trying to sled and learn to ski. A half dozen trucks with snow mobiles get to show up and harass the occupants of the dozens of other vehicles that are parked there? It?s a joke. Who is representing all the random families from Reno who just want to go enjoy the snow a couple times a year? It?s not fair to anyone, not even the snow mobilers. You are putting the open cookie jar out in front of these (mostly) kids and expecting them not to take some, not to encroach in the wilderness? (entrapment?) You are basically training them to ignore the rules. Don?t you folks have dogs, or kids? This is obedience training 101. You need to structure situations so as to encourage compliance, not the opposite.

Take the Sonora pass area for instance. USFS couldn?t keep the bilers out so the agency effectively said ?o?kay fine. So now they are allowed?? Is that acting in good faith? on either parties part? rewarding their poor behavior. I now avoid Mt. Rose. & Blackwood & Ward & High Meadows & Forestdale & Castle Peak & Genoa, etc. ( the list seems to grow every year) all favorite old spots of mine, traditional backcountry ski areas literally for generations, but now no longer offering that quality wild snow experience we are willing to work so hard for.

More aesthetic neighborly considerations such as noise regulations and the barrage of mindlessly circling tracks aside, let?s not suppose that these snow machines aren?t high impact, just because they travel ?over snow?. I have seen countless snowmobile ruts in the bare ground, both in low lying areas from shoulder season use and on fetched out ridge tops from even mid winter. I find their garbage all over. the usual cases of coors cans and junk food wrappers that go with that demographic, but also windshields and ferrings and stuff too big for me to even carry out for them. These impacts are still there long after the exhaust fumes have settled and the screaming engines have departed. I haven?t seen a snowshoe hare on Mt Rose in years but I?ve seen crushed Krumholz, as if our treeline White Bark Pines don?t already have enough challenges now (blister rust, global warming).

In October a few years ago, some gung ho ?biler rode up to Relay ridge on barely 6 inches of snow, went strait to the wilderness boundary, crossed it and did a big old brodie high point in Mt Rose wilderness, literally spraying dirt. This is not an isolated incident. Any time I have gone to areas where there is snowmobile access near a wilderness area I can pretty much rely on seeing encroachments. There are tracks every year all the way into the heart of even Desolation Wilderness. It is a consistent pattern of not just ignoring the boundaries but intentionally flaunting them. There is a substantial portion of that user group who have open contempt for both fellow users and even the resource itself. And you expect us to ?share? with folks like that? They are like school yard bullies, spoiled children. Laissez-faire libertarianism is predicated on the assumption that you will be more obnoxious than your neighbors. This sure applies to snowmobilers. The widespread adoption of existing clean quiet snow mobile technology speaks to this user groups good intentions. Not. Well, children need boundaries, and clear consistent enforcement.

And how does all this play out in an era of rapid climate change? You are setting a policy that will last decades, managing an ecosystem that your own science tells you will be stressed by what ever climate change is to come. It seems likely we will see extended shoulder seasons, more months with marginal snow cover, and more mid winter thaws. These are times when the alpine areas that are likely to be most threatened by climate change will also be the most exposed to vehicular damage. Are you being conservative in your management? How will posterity judge it? Twenty years from now will folks say you were being too strict? trying too hard to protect the resource from impact? unlikely. and would this be so horrible? compared to a legacy of ruts and garbage in our fragile alpine areas? And does the agency really need to actively encourage and facilitate such high impact energy consumptive recreation in these times?

Go ahead and surprise me and do the right thing for a change. This is Tahoe! It should have been a national park. Now it?s like going to a motocross park, just like most everywhere else in the inter mountain west.

Can?t we manage our world class terrain with a little extra consideration and just tell the snowmobiles to drive somewhere else or heaven forbid get off their lazy asses and get some exercise and maybe even experience first hand a little of what this awesome place has to offer on its own terms? No we wouldn?t want to encourage that. Well good luck. You?re going to face criticism no matter what you do. So why not do what?s best for Tahoe? Bet you don?t hear too many snowmobilers suggesting that. What should that tell you?

sincerely (with moments of sarcasm), Mark Kircher

7189 2nd ave

Tahoma, ca 96142

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My Response to Mark Kirchner

Rebuttal to Mark Kirchner

Mark Kirchner--"Any management plan that does not further restrict snowmobile access from current levels will effectively be reducing the available terrain for quiet low impact winter recreation, compared to what was available when those rules were originally made."

Michael Murphy-----Quiet Recreation is currently available on 109,808 acres in the Tahoe NF

Mark Kirchner--"The kind of snowmobiles that folks use these days didn?t even exist thirty years ago, when I started back country skiing here. These machines can now access places that weren?t even an issue when the rules were made. And at the same time there has been a boom in the popularity of backcountry skiing, likewise due in part to improved technology except that the commensurate increase in impact has been geometric not exponential. Ski gear has improved but you still have to push it with your own muscles. it doesn?t do all the work for you, so there are natural limits to range and impact. Not so with the new breed of snow machines. We have a very uneven playing field, so to speak. That?s where proper management should come in."

Michael Murphy--- Mr Kirchner has obviously never ridden a snowmobile and is speaking from a place of ignorance. Some of us enjoy both human powered and motor powered back country endeavors. I would gladly invite Mr. Kirchner to two days of activity for his education. One day we will go human powered, one day motorized-- I will supply him with a 2011 Polaris snowmobile that is both EPA and noise compliant. My sincere hope is that he will come away with a new appreciation of motorized access and a respect of the "muscle effort" required to ride one.

Mark Kirchner--"Your prior restrictions on snowmobile access were an acknowledgement that these machines do indeed have an impact on both the resource and other users. So to not increase restrictions on snowmobiles as the mobility and numbers of these machines has increased is inconsistent and neglectful. This is an undemocratic allocation of available resources. Why should a handful of noisy users be allowed to scare off a majority of lower impact users? How is this fair? We don?t have paid industry lobbyists to speak for us, no vested interest beyond our love of the mountains. We must rely on your good faith and judgment."

Michael Murphy--- undemocratic? Non-motorized users sued the USFS (Wildalnds vs USFS) to change policy. Litigation was used to usurp power from both the USFS and steal the access rights of motorized users. No vested interest, no lobbyists? Sierra Club, Wildlands, Snowlands, Wilderness Society-- plenty of urban and outside of Tahoe liberal donors funding the aforementioned Special Interest Groups.

Mark Kirchner--- The situation on Mt. Rose is a perfect parody of proper snow mobile management. To allow snowmobiling on an area that?s only a few square miles, right up against a wilderness area, along a road where families go sledding, is ludicrous and the agency should be held liable for such mismanagement. It makes no sense. You have snow mobiles hurtling past families trying to sled and learn to ski. A half dozen trucks with snow mobiles get to show up and harass the occupants of the dozens of other vehicles that are parked there? It?s a joke. Who is representing all the random families from Reno who just want to go enjoy the snow a couple times a year? It?s not fair to anyone, not even the snow mobilers. You are putting the open cookie jar out in front of these (mostly) kids and expecting them not to take some, not to encroach in the wilderness? (entrapment?) You are basically training them to ignore the rules. Don?t you folks have dogs, or kids? This is obedience training 101. You need to structure situations so as to encourage compliance, not the opposite.

Michael Murphy---- Motorized use of Mt Rose is limited to one side of the Highway. Non- motorized users have free reign on both sides. Seems like a fairly "democratic"(your word) allocation of resources. What you are really saying is you want it all. You are completely ignoring/ marginalizing another user group because they don't fit your standards? Do you always marginalize groups that you don't relate to?

Mark Kirchner--Take the Sonora pass area for instance. USFS couldn?t keep the bilers out so the agency effectively said ?o?kay fine. So now they are allowed?? Is that acting in good faith? on either parties part? rewarding their poor behavior. I now avoid Mt. Rose. & Blackwood & Ward & High Meadows & Forestdale & Castle Peak & Genoa, etc. ( the list seems to grow every year) all favorite old spots of mine, traditional backcountry ski areas literally for generations, but now no longer offering that quality wild snow experience we are willing to work so hard for.

Michael Murphy--- You "avoid" these areas. That is your choice, OSV users have limited choices as to where they can ride. Along with the areas you "avoid" (must be nice) you still have
North Yuba Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Babbit Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Steep Hollow Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Kyburz Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Sagehen Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Indepence Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Donner Summit Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Onion Valley Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Truckee River Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Pole Creek Motor Vehicle Closure Area
North Fork American River Closure Area
Alpine Meadows Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Placer Big Trees Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Oak Flat Motor Vehicle Closure Area
Granite Chief Wilderness

Mark Kirchner--More aesthetic neighborly considerations such as noise regulations and the barrage of mindlessly circling tracks aside, let?s not suppose that these snow machines aren?t high impact, just because they travel ?over snow?. I have seen countless snowmobile ruts in the bare ground, both in low lying areas from shoulder season use and on fetched out ridge tops from even mid winter. I find their garbage all over. the usual cases of coors cans and junk food wrappers that go with that demographic, but also windshields and ferrings and stuff too big for me to even carry out for them. These impacts are still there long after the exhaust fumes have settled and the screaming engines have departed. I haven?t seen a snowshoe hare on Mt Rose in years but I?ve seen crushed Krumholz, as if our treeline White Bark Pines don?t already have enough challenges now (blister rust, global warming)."

Michael Murphy---wow, more generalizations and prejudice. I suggest you actually read some SCIENTIFIC studies instead of making assumptions. I will give you some places to start:
Dr. Andres Soom, University of Wisconsin,Emission, Propagation and Environmental Impact of Noise from Snowmobile Operations

Response of White-Tailed Deer to Snowmobiles and Snowmobile Trails in Maine, conducted by wildlife scientists for the Maine Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit and the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife

Snow Machine Use and Deer in Rob Brook, conducted by the Forest Wildlife Biologists of White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire

Effects of Snowmobiles on White Tailed Deer, The University of Minnesota, Michael J. Dorrance

Snowmobile Use and Trails Assist Wildflower Survival—Professor William Mitchell of the Landscape Horticultural Program at the University of Maine

As I stated before, I enjoy both human powered and motorized recreation. I have also seen evidence of litter and thoughtlessness in non motorized areas. If we were to follow your logic, that would mean that no one should enjoy the Tahoe NF. Going back to your Mt Rose example, I have seen plenty of snow saucers and plastic sleds up there after the snow melts and I assure you, the snowmobilers didn't take them up there.

Mark Kirchner---In October a few years ago, some gung ho ?biler rode up to Relay ridge on barely 6 inches of snow, went strait to the wilderness boundary, crossed it and did a big old brodie high point in Mt Rose wilderness, literally spraying dirt. This is not an isolated incident. Any time I have gone to areas where there is snowmobile access near a wilderness area I can pretty much rely on seeing encroachments. There are tracks every year all the way into the heart of even Desolation Wilderness. It is a consistent pattern of not just ignoring the boundaries but intentionally flaunting them. There is a substantial portion of that user group who have open contempt for both fellow users and even the resource itself. And you expect us to ?share? with folks like that? They are like school yard bullies, spoiled children. Laissez-faire libertarianism is predicated on the assumption that you will be more obnoxious than your neighbors. This sure applies to snowmobilers. The widespread adoption of existing clean quiet snow mobile technology speaks to this user groups good intentions. Not. Well, children need boundaries, and clear consistent enforcement.

Michael Murphy---- Again, you paint all OSV users with a broad brush. You call OSV users bullies, spoiled children, obnoxious, Coors beer drinking..... And you wonder why you can't get along with OSV users? ---"substantial portion of that user group has open contempt for other users", you sir, are the one name calling and generalizing. My guess is that you are someone who voices his contempt for snowmobilers and/ or possibly swings your pole at passing snowmobilers. Is it any wonder that you are treated less than kindly in return? Is it really the OSV users fault that you start the bully tactics and they respond in kind?

Mark Kirchner--- And how does all this play out in an era of rapid climate change? You are setting a policy that will last decades, managing an ecosystem that your own science tells you will be stressed by what ever climate change is to come. It seems likely we will see extended shoulder seasons, more months with marginal snow cover, and more mid winter thaws. These are times when the alpine areas that are likely to be most threatened by climate change will also be the most exposed to vehicular damage. Are you being conservative in your management? How will posterity judge it? Twenty years from now will folks say you were being too strict? trying too hard to protect the resource from impact? unlikely. and would this be so horrible? compared to a legacy of ruts and garbage in our fragile alpine areas? And does the agency really need to actively encourage and facilitate such high impact energy consumptive recreation in these times?

Michael Murphy--- He mentions climate change. Hopefully he takes the time to EDUCATE himself vs PREJUDICE himself. Ever wonder how much diesel fuel is burned in the snow grooming snow cats at Tahoe resorts? 16 hours of continuous operation 4pm-9am. The amount of energy expended for snow making operations? The pumps, compressors, fans, etc? How about the number of "commuters" and day trippers from the Bay Area driving SUVs, and Subarus by the THOUSANDS? All that "human powered" superiority has a pretty big environmental impact-- ever seen the amount of garbage left at a ski area after the snow melts-- I have. Where is all the righteous indignation for the negative environmental impact?

Mark Kirchner---"Go ahead and surprise me and do the right thing for a change. This is Tahoe! It should have been a national park. Now it?s like going to a motocross park, just like most everywhere else in the inter mountain west.Can?t we manage our world class terrain with a little extra consideration and just tell the snowmobiles to drive somewhere else or heaven forbid get off their lazy asses and get some exercise and maybe even experience first hand a little of what this awesome place has to offer on its own terms? No we wouldn?t want to encourage that. Well good luck. You?re going to face criticism no matter what you do. So why not do what?s best for Tahoe? Bet you don?t hear too many snowmobilers suggesting that. What should that tell you?"

Michael Murphy----"tell the snowmobiles to drive somewhere else", do you still long for the days of telling "those people" that they need to sit at the back of the bus?

You call motorized users, "lazy asses". Check out another SCIENTIFIC study: York University, in Toronto Canada, "The Fitness and Health Benefits of recreational Off-Road Vehicle Riding." Some interesting conclusions of the study include:[color="rgba(0,"]
[/color]
OHV riding was found to require a true physiological demand that is expected to have a beneficial effect on health and fitness.
OHV riding was determined to be a recreational activity associated with moderate intensity cardiovascular demand and fatigue induced muscular strength challenges similar to other activities such as rock climbing and alpine skiing.

I am serious about my two day challenge with you Mr Kirchner. I guarantee you I will survive your human powered gauntlet, and you will experience muscle soreness in muscles you didn't even know existed after one day of riding snowmobiles. I highly doubt you will even make it through the day before your "superior" body conditioning calls it quits.

"Do what's best for Tahoe"--- according to who? You? Or all your narrow, like-minded, micro brew drinking (right back at ya!) friends?

sincerely (with moments of sarcasm),
Mark Kircher
7189 2nd ave
Tahoma, ca 96142

Michael Murphy
10050 Bridge St 3402
Truckee, Ca 96161

Premium Features