• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lake tahoe/Reno riders?

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
I don't ride a snowbike yet, but I'm going to pick up a timbersled kit and build one over the summer. I usually ride sleds at LTS, but I'm thinking their probably is good riding right near Truckee.

Is this your first year on a snow bike? Would love to find out how it works for you.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
yes this will be my 1st year,i have not ridden a snow bike yet so i am jumping all in.After watching many videos of what people are doing,on MH bikes i have no doubt i will love it.
lots of great riding out of Truckee,and N.lake Tahoe.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Yeah, they seem super fun. Debating what bike to go for, big bore ktm, cr500, or kx500, and whether to go short or long track, Tahoe snow can be a mixed bag.

A plated bike would be sweet, I could ride right from my house when it dumps!

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
I have a 07 crf that i rebuilt engine specifically for the MH.Went with a 488 bb,cp piston,carrilo rod on a stock crank but had crank works balanced the assembly.still spins almost 11,000 rpm so im hoping to have enough track speed.
I got the ST as yes our snow pack is a mixed bag but if i need a long track its upgrade is pretty easy to do. Mostly ride from my house as the access to varied terrain is good.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
I have a 07 crf that i rebuilt engine specifically for the MH.Went with a 488 bb,cp piston,carrilo rod on a stock crank but had crank works balanced the assembly.still spins almost 11,000 rpm so im hoping to have enough track speed.
I got the ST as yes our snow pack is a mixed bag but if i need a long track its upgrade is pretty easy to do. Mostly ride from my house as the access to varied terrain is good.

Would be awesome to hear how that works. I was also thinking ST, for the $700 extra you could easily get new rails and a cut down track if you want to go longer.

Is it a 450X or 450R? My CRF250R is a nightmare to start when it is below freezing, so I was strongly leaning towards e-start.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
I have an R so no estart But with an adjustable fuel screw I can richen up mixture for cold temps. Bike is properly jetted and starts easily in the morning

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
How is that bike working out for you?

I'm trading a guy for a 03 crf450r tomorrow, debating whether to turn it into a snowbike.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
I got 1 road ride in at blackwood canyon on the west shore of Tahoe.1st time out was a blast considering the conditions [3 inches of new snow on 8 inches]On the road was albout staying relaxed and let the ski track without fighting it
snowmobile whoops were fun as you sit back and throttle right thru them.really wished we had more snow but for my 1st ride i'm happy with my purchase.

Was riding HangTown moto track on Dec.27 came up short on uphill triple,shattered both my ankles,have had surgery and writing this from my hospital bed in my living room!lol.So my winter is done as i get healed up.

If it where me i would not hesitate get 1 they are a blast.:face-icon-small-coo

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
That really sucks man - sorry to hear that. Getting hurt is always my biggest worry on the bike. I smashed my elbow into a rock two months ago and still healing from that but that's a far cry from your injury, sucks your season is over before it started. How long/complete is the recovery on something like that?

My CRF trade never happened, the guy was a jackass, but I picked up a 2003 KTM 300 for $1600 on Friday, I have it stripped down to the frame right now and rebuilding it completely on a 2002 frame for green sticker. Should have enough power to spin a track. Pre-ordered a smartcarb, should be perfect for snowbike use.

I think I might sell one of my sleds this season and do the preorder for next years Timbersled, seems like the kits are pretty well sold out right now.

Is the Timbersled more fun than a sled in marginal conditions? 8+3 inches on a sled is no fun at all.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
That really sucks man - sorry to hear that. Getting hurt is always my biggest worry on the bike. I smashed my elbow into a rock two months ago and still healing from that but that's a far cry from your injury, sucks your season is over before it started. How long/complete is the recovery on something like that?

My CRF trade never happened, the guy was a jackass, but I picked up a 2003 KTM 300 for $1600 on Friday, I have it stripped down to the frame right now and rebuilding it completely on a 2002 frame for green sticker. Should have enough power to spin a track. Pre-ordered a smartcarb, should be perfect for snowbike use.

I think I might sell one of my sleds this season and do the preorder for next years Timbersled, seems like the kits are pretty well sold out right now.

Is the Timbersled more fun than a sled in marginal conditions? 8+3 inches on a sled is no fun at all.

Ya injurys are no fun.But i am so glad i dont have a head injury.I'm sure your elbow will come out all right.
Cant go wrong on the 300,i'm sure you saw Randys video of his new 300 that thing was ripping plus just a little clutch work to get back on the pipe.
If you you take your time and do some research on porting and proper head volume and shape you could build a sick 300!

Whats fun on the MH on the road is being able to corner like its a bike and not a sled.Sled on the road is about getting to the riding area imo.
I snow cked mine from Fastway products last may,super easy did everything via phone or you can always do the used route.Oh yea no weight bearing on feet for 3/months but once PT starts it wont be that bad.
atleast the suns shin'en:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Yeah the 300 is a super flexible engine, it can make massive power with a little work. With the generation of frame I have I can also fit the 380, so i'm going to keep my eyes out for a 380 engine as well. Perhaps have a separate winter and summer engine to swap out.

Need to talk to timbersled about a fit kit, I don't see it on their list but it has the same OC forks as later models and the rear end uses the same swingarm bolt as the 02-04 400sx which they list so I think it will work.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
Yeah the 300 is a super flexible engine, it can make massive power with a little work. With the generation of frame I have I can also fit the 380, so i'm going to keep my eyes out for a 380 engine as well. Perhaps have a separate winter and summer engine to swap out.

Need to talk to timbersled about a fit kit, I don't see it on their list but it has the same OC forks as later models and the rear end uses the same swingarm bolt as the 02-04 400sx which they list so I think it will work.

I think your idea about the 380 sounds great. You could also gear it internally for the snow specifically. The 380 with a smart cab would be a Great combo. I had a 97 360 mxc and always had minor jetting issues with it.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
I think your idea about the 380 sounds great. You could also gear it internally for the snow specifically. The 380 with a smart cab would be a Great combo. I had a 97 360 mxc and always had minor jetting issues with it.

Finished up my build, everything came out real nice. Practically a new bike for 1/4 the cost.

Ready for a TS kit! Found a couple cheaper ones but they are all older...I think I want the latest generation.

Any snow coming down up there? Are you recovering well?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
bike looks great,should provide you with smiles and many miles!.was raining midday wed.and turned to snow last night,maybe got a couple of inches.Kids are hoping for a snow day lol.
my legs are healing well,as the swelling is starting to go away,i started PT and have good range of motion in both ankles with minimal pain.Go back to to doc on feb. 12 for a ck up and x rays to ck on exact bone healing.
No weight bearing at all so that means i am in the wheel chair in and around the house.really appreciate you checking in!

one other thought,ck the timbersled website i remember seeing a page where they list actual changes they made to the MH over the years,and what upgrades were made,since you are mechanically inclined a used MH might work to.:face-icon-small-hap

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
looking forward to this season coming up.I am posting this hoping some one else has jumped on the mountain horse band wagon in the lake tahoe / truckee area.Hoping this winter ends our drought here in the west,if not I'm loading up and heading up north or some where that has snow this winter!

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Still haven't picked one up, but I heard Carson KTM is now a timbersled dealer and has a demo.

Rode sleds yesterday, the snow was good up high at LTS.

Driving down to Sacramento, saw a guy driving the other way with a Yamaha snowbike in the back of his truck, not sure who that is.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
How much snow at LTS, I am currently waiting doctors clearance to ride.Ended up having to have surgery oct.21 to rebreak tib/fib to straighten them out.

hopefully will have clearance Jan 5.
You should try and get a demo ride from Carson Motersports.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Couple of feet up at meadow lake, snow is good, pow turns all day long.

You would never think that from how bare it looks heading up there, but good rideable snow from weber all the way up.

Premium Features