• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What outside ski skags to improve 2014 Timbersled ski

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I've replaced the center skag on my 2014 Timbersled ski skag with the triple-point carbide skag and have liked that improvement. Now trying to further improve the trail riding characteristics of my 2014 ski. The local dealer sells the pair of updated outside ski skags for $90. I've ridden the 2015 kit and thought the outside skags an improvement but that was a short 20 minute ride and in one particular condition.

For those that have ridden the pre-2015 and post-2015 front ski extensively, would replacing the two outside skags with the 2015/16 skags assist with wash out when leaned over on the trails?

Or, anyone running the triple-point carbide for all three skags?

I'll be watching the performance of, and trying to ride, both the Raptor front end and Yeti front ski, but for this year, looking at just updating the outside skags if it will improve wash out on trails and possible on crust come spring. Thanks!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I had some skags I had laying around that I cut off and re welded the studs back on but at a 45 degree angle to the outside,, haven't tried them yet, have triple points already

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
My last set up was triple points all around best thing to do for the TS ski especially if you end up on trails with ice and gravel. I grind all the fronts on the carbides so they start out smooth and will not grab on rocks and stumps. Much easier on forks and spindles they just glide over junk gravel and stumps instead of the insane hooking of the U channel runners.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Decisions, decisions. So if i go with 3 triplepoint, I'll have $300 into skags. A yeti ski is roughly $525 canadian (but not includung shipping) so knocking on the door pricewise.

For all the talk of how good the yeti ski is working, it sure is hard to find specific info or even picutes on them. A couple pics of the upper surface on the website, but none from underneath to see the design or skag setup on those no dimensions, etc. There is the old "yeti snow mx ski evolution story" thread on here, but the good conversation and descriptions tailed off.

Maybe i sit tight and see how the season goes for users of the yeti skis and raptor front ends before putting more money into this ski should i decide either of those is the route to go. Really interested to ride the raptor front end so need to stop over to see Mark in clyde park for a spin in the Crazies.

i was in the same situation Chad, do i blow 300 on skegs for TS ski, or just upgrade to the Yeti ski.

I went the skeg route as I really doubt the Yeti skegs are THAT much better on the hardpack/ice/road crossing I have to do here.

Sure it may be better on the snow, but that's not really the problem i'm trying to solve.

Hoping I made the right choice, but until snow (and ice) comes I have to just wait and see :)

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Just wondering what your really complaining about w the TS ski. I just don't seem to have a problem with any of them but don't really ride pure ice and it must be those situations your having problems. The new channel skegs hold great but I personally think carbide on them would be best.
I'm not sure if yetti skis have carbide either seems everything about any other kits are simply top secret!!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The Yeti skis are much lighter but as far as durability I would guess the TS ski with tripple carbide is the most durable ski out there. The thin edges and super thin outer blade ( no wear bar on the yeti may not take a beating like we are used to. Time will tell we just need some test mules:face-icon-small-ton

Our snow conditions suck majorly... It's a nasty freeze/thaw cycle constantly :( so Ice builds up on everything.

I ride from my house @ sea level which doesn't help at all. I have 2 roads to cross to get to snow at a minimum, or i may ride along the side of the road (the plow piles snow on the side 5-6 feet high, can't get up on it) for 500-600 feet before i can finally duck off.

Even once i get to the snow, i soon have to encounter fire roads that are run down to almost bare ice by quad's and vehicles towing trailers w/ ski-doos and/or more quads.

With the stock TS ski, this type of 'riding' (more like traversing) was crazy sketchy. The front ski would not track AT ALL. Regardless of which direction the front was pointed the bike was going in a straight line :) I have 0 faith in being able to turn and had to go so slow and ride the clutch so much the bike was quickly overheating. Just was not fun at all.

No doubt, this is not what the TS ski was designed around but its just what I have to deal with. So i want the sharp/biting carbides the triple points offer :)

I think it'll also help with the hardpack snow from the quads/sleds as this area is very active - we get lots of traffic from all the surrounding areas. It's a little crazy, once snow hits, everyone and their dog goes nuts to get in as many rides as possible before its gone :)

Last edited:

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Just wondering what your really complaining about w the TS ski. I just don't seem to have a problem with any of them but don't really ride pure ice and it must be those situations your having problems.

Just realized I never answered this. My main complaint with he 2014 ski is my not trusting it from washing out on the trails when leaned over. Too many close calls and that is on regular trails and not on boiler plate ice. The 2015 kit I rode on icy trails seemed to hold an edge much better or at least catch itself sooner if it did start to wash out so I'm guessing betterside skags make a ski much better on regular trail conditions.

I do like my triple point skag in the center and just need to decide what to do for outer skags. Was about to order two more triplepoints, but just got sidetracked with another experiment...trying a Raptor X2 front end. So the triplepoints on outer skag location on TS ski is on hold until this raptor demo is complete.

As far as the TS ski is concerned, it very well may be my being too timid and not charging hard enough. Those that do seem to think the skis on the trails aren't too bad. I got over that issue (not charging hard enough) 20 years ago on dirtbikes, but perhaps am still not there snowbiking on the trails even though it's been three years. Ha. Admittedly, when I push it, it does start to feel that it tracks better, but just cruising along when with a group, it is just sketchy.

Last edited:
Premium Features