• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 700 cracked cylinder

C

Chitown

Dec 1, 2007
Just noticed that my pto side cylinder has a cracked that formed , seems to be running fine though, for now. How could this have happened? Only like 2400 miles.

winter2010 035.jpg winter2010 037.jpg winter2010 039.jpg

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have seen more than a couple like that infact in that same spot, not posative what causes it. i would suspect the 2 mating surfaces were not completely flat and over time it finally broke.

N

north-land

Dec 14, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
Happened to me too. I didn't even know it was cracked until I pulled off the top end to fix a problem with the other cylinder. Otherwise it was running fine. The downside is you won't have a usable core to trade in if you ever have them replated.

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
That crack would not affect how the sled runs. The crack is on the outside of the water jacket and would only let coolant out and not let anything in. The piston is on the other side of the water jacket which is most likely not cracked so this will not affect how the sled runs. The only thing that could happen is if you don't keep an eye on your coolant level the sled could over heat. So if the crack is big enough that you are loosing too much coolant then I would replace it. To me it looks like a slow leak and I would just carry some extra coolant around with you and make sure you top it off and keep an eye on it Until it gets to big to hold coolant.

Premium Features