• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHO is building Turbos for the new E-Tec 850?

R
Oct 10, 2014
Even if that was true, which its not, after watching that "Raw" video a loss of 20hp wouldn't hurt the sled much!!!!!!
face-icon-small-happy.gif

Rumor has it that the production doo doos will have an ECU that delivers 20 HP LESS than the demos. This sled will need a turbo just to keep up with the lighter and more powerful sleds. Thats gonna be a pissaahhh for the doo guys :(

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What is it about the "look" of an engine that would make one think it "might have been tailored for boost"?

The four stroke, diesel style, 2 piece forged crank with directly oiled bearings. The cast iron ring carrier. The plasma coated cylinders. The booster injectors already in the throttle bodies... I mean I realize you were just trying to flip some smart aZZ comment to try to derail yet another doo thread. But I thought I'd answer your stupid question anyway.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would think you would want to jump at one of those sidekick Systems with no tuning after the issues you had with the Yamaha tuning over the past couple years. Just bolt it on, set-up the clutching and ride.

Lots of buddies ran the BD sidekick on their Axsys' last season, they all had great results. Looks to be a really good option. The Impulse kit was set up the same way on the 800 etecs. No tuning, just clutch and go. The Impulse does give you the ability to turn the boost up if you run the fuel for it. Which I believe the Sidekick X kit offers this season...

The problem is nobody is going to have a ton of seat time on these for tuning. Ya, there will be some 850's around to get the routing, turbo location, and wiring all done. Maybe even some dyno time... But until there is some actual seat time on these kits, I would be careful who I trusted my money with...

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The four stroke, diesel style, 2 piece forged crank with directly oiled bearings. The cast iron ring carrier. The plasma coated cylinders. The booster injectors already in the throttle bodies... I mean I realize you were just trying to flip some smart aZZ comment to try to derail yet another doo thread. But I thought I'd answer your stupid question anyway.

It was actually a legitimate question. Thanks for the answer, though the end part could have been left out. In any event, some of those things on this engine do indeed make sense if one is considering boost.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
It was actually a legitimate question. Thanks for the answer, though the end part could have been left out. In any event, some of those things on this engine do indeed make sense if one is considering boost.

With your record of being so "open minded and unbiased", ask a question that is that obvious and you'll get an answer like that.

G
Apr 23, 2008
The added injectors are NOT for turbocharging. The job is to bring reed life, and reed Sealing back to Normal carbed or t body injected levels. Reed life and sealing caused most of the weird on off throttle bogs and hiccups. Reed behavior is paramount to consistent tuning.

The iron ring band of the piston , surviving long term exposure to the higher heat and much lower lubrication of the direct chamber injection. A large part of ring cooling is done by the fuel vapor as the transfer passage is opened and closed. In a direct chamber injected engine , this effect is lost. Brp has learned they couldnt get past this after just a few seasons. The dimensional stability and lubricity of the iron allows ring clearance to be reduced and help with the loss of ring seal E tech is so famous for.

The 2 piece crank and slit rod bearing are WW II technology. thats right. Mercedes pioneered it in the Messerschmidt fighter planes of the Nazi's.. Nothing new nothing ground breaking.
Rods will have LESS tendency to spread at the "fork" from prolonged exposure to pre ignition. However the added mass does LOWER the max rpm threshold. you will see that much like the RT 1000 and Fusion 865 best performance and longevtiy will be in the mid 7600 to 8000 max rpm window.

The big GAIN is ease of balancing the cranktrain assy and it will make for a stronger crank that holds its ""true "".

For a few yrs you've been hearing the wives tale of a 2 stroke turbo coming oem from Brp, always the same story, same old wife telling it and again it wont happen.. EVER.

No way is BRP ever getting into bed with any aftermarket toy kit seller in any way. warranty and consistency make turbo charged 2 strokes a HOT ROD item.

dont get me wrong, there are things that by accident lead you to the ''built for boost '' theory... Luckily we can use those tools , like the added injectors in the correct place and the better crank and valve operation methods to our advantage.. Best of luck to all and have fun with this next generation of e torch.. hopefully the TORCH moniker can be dropped..

Last edited:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The added injectors are NOT for turbocharging. The job is to bring reed life, and reed Sealing back to Normal carbed or t body injected levels. Reed life and sealing caused most of the weird on off throttle bogs and hiccups. Reed behavior is paramount to consistent tuning.

The iron ring band of the piston , surviving long term exposure to the higher heat and much lower lubrication of the direct chamber injection. A large part of ring cooling is done by the fuel vapor as the transfer passage is opened and closed. In a direct chamber injected engine , this effect is lost. Brp has learned they couldnt get past this after just a few seasons. The dimensional stability and lubricity of the iron allows ring clearance to be reduced and help with the loss of ring seal E tech is so famous for.

The 2 piece crank and slit rod bearing are WW II technology. thats right. Mercedes pioneered it in the Messerschmidt fighter planes of the Nazi's.. Nothing new nothing ground breaking.
Rods will have LESS tendency to spread at the "fork" from prolonged exposure to pre ignition. However the added mass does LOWER the max rpm threshold. you will see that much like the RT 1000 and Fusion 865 best performance and longevtiy will be in the mid 7600 to 8000 max rpm window.

The big GAIN is ease of balancing the cranktrain assy and it will make for a stronger crank that holds its ""true "".

For a few yrs you've been hearing the wives tale of a turbo coming oem from Brp, always the same story, same old wife telling it and again it wont happen.. EVER.

No way is BRP ever getting into bed with any aftermarket toy kit seller in any way. warranty and consistency make turbo charged 2 strokes a HOT ROD item.

dont get me wrong, there are things that by accident lead you to the ''built for boost '' theory... Luckily we can use those tools , like the added injectors in the correct place and the better crank and valve operation methods to our advantage.. Best of luck to al and have fun with this next generation of e torch.. hopefully the TORCH moniker can be dropped..

Gus, you can wrap a turd around a ham sandwich, call it a turd, and then take a big healthy bite all in one sentence... :face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-dis

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008

For a few yrs you've been hearing the wives tale of a turbo coming oem from Brp, always the same story, same old wife telling it and again it wont happen.. EVER.

dont get me wrong, there are things that by accident lead you to the ''built for boost '' theory... Luckily we can use those tools , like the added injectors in the correct place and the better crank and valve operation methods to our advantage.. Best of luck to al and have fun with this next generation of e torch.. hopefully the TORCH moniker can be dropped..

Gus, why call them boost injectors when there's no boost to be found? They aren't boost injectors at this point they could have 10 other names but instead they choose to call them boost.. Most likely so they don't have to change the name next year since every single Brp product now comes turbo'd except for snowmobiles. There's too many things you just spoke of that it just seems silly to have if it isn't going to be boosted soon.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For a few yrs you've been hearing the wives tale of a 2 stroke turbo coming oem from Brp, always the same story, same old wife telling it and again it wont happen.. EVER.

And it should be noted that this is EXACTLY what we heard from Yamaha for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. And then all of a sudden last year there were a handful of "Strange" changed made to the genisis engine that really made NO GOOD SENSE at all, until this spring when they announced FACTORY TURBO CHARGED ENGINES.

They all said
NO WAY, It Wont Happen... EVER.

Right up till it happened....:face-icon-small-hap

Never say Never.
Corporations exist for one purpose only, TO MAKE A PROFIT. And that means they follow the market. Might be years, but never say never.

G
Apr 23, 2008
so true Chris.
my christmas wish is a 3 cyl bottom end for this baby !!

Its a much better cranktrain than the RT and the stroke is close enough for me.:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-hap

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Yup, I love when I hear a bunch of no ways and nevers...

This engine makes it more of a likely in my books.
Way cheaper for BRP to offer a big power option this way than design another engine to compete with Yamaha.

How about this thought....I bet BRP has an 850 turbo running around already. They like to test their stuff quite extensively.
Another likely for my books

Last edited:
Premium Features