• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aerocharger 2013-14 E-TEC Turbo Systems

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
2013AerochargerE-TEC_zpsfc86046c.png

We're getting into the 2013-14 season at Aerocharger - kits are shipping daily and in a few weeks we'll be hitting the road to attend all the western US and Canadian snow shows.

We are honored and humbled that backcountry riders are overwhelmingly choosing Aerocharger's advanced engineering over conventional technology in the crowded turbo field. We strive to provide the most comprehensive package possible right out of the box, and this season we are improving on it with a few refinements. This will get elaborated on as we get closer to snow, but you can expect from Aerocharger this year:

• REDUCED COMPONENT WEIGHT. Whether climbing, side hilling or just getting unstuck from the deep stuff, mountain riders understand that every ounce makes a difference. Last year's Aerocharger system totaled out to an overall sled weight reduction of -2 pounds, making it the lightest kit available industry-wide. For 2013, weight reduction will be further improved to -6 pounds.
  • SLED VENTING. Heat dissipation is critical for best turbo performance, so we went ahead and included turbo side and clutch side Snow Silk vent kits in every Aerocharger snowmobile turbo package this season.
  • CLUTCHING. Clutch setups were the most requested item last season. Getting this right is one of the biggest factors in your turbo sled running the best it can, and this year an extensive custom clutch setup comes standard in every Aerocharger snowmobile turbo system. This includes custom ramps, weights, gearing, and a very cool custom helix with improved angles for turbocharged operation.

There's no need to hassle with lists of options and dubious upgrades with Aerocharger. Our goal is to bring you the fullest package, with the easiest install, to keep you on the snow as much as possible this winter.

Here's Brad and Calvin introducing Aerocharger's 2013-14 systems, including an engineering rundown on what works and what doesn't when it comes to turbocharging snowmobiles.

We're looking forward to some awesome snowy days ahead, and if you have any questions at all you can hit us up at info@aerocharger.com or post to us right here on Snowest.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Great video, one of the best videos I've seen that explain the what and why of a particular turbo system, not just a bunch of chute pulling! I'd like to know more about the fuel control and what I could expect to deal with as far as tuning your kit both for flatland riding ~750ft and out west ~7000+

Last edited:
A

Aerocharger_Andrew

Dec 1, 2010
Overland Park, KS
www.Aerocharger.com
When going from sea level to 7500 ft the biggest thing you are going to have to watch is your fueling. Right now you can not run an E-Tec at sea level on pump gas. I would recommend at least 100 octane.

If you run that fuel all the time, all you would really need to change is your boost pressure. Raising your boost in the mountains will let you run the same clutching and fuel.

D
Nov 4, 2008
When will you be able to run pump gas at all altitudes. Is there a different boost controller on the way that will compensate for altitude?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What tuning is involved from a customer standpoint? Or is this thing pull the cord and go as long as you're +7000ft and running 100 octane?

I'm interested in riding all day, not reading plugs and adding numbers/colors.

Thanks in advance.

A

Aerocharger_Andrew

Dec 1, 2010
Overland Park, KS
www.Aerocharger.com
There really isn't any tuning involved, once the kit is on and your clutching is dialed for your elevation and sled setup. There is nothing that you are going to have to change. For the last 3 years my sled has been running the exact same numbers on the fuel controller, regardless of altitude or boost.

We are working on a pump gas setup for all elevations, right now it is just not fully tested. We need some snow to make sure it is right before we start sending stuff out.

As far as the boost control goes, we are also working on this right now.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Andrew how do you change the boost level? Sorry if that is a stupid question. We unload as low as 2500 but generally ride 3000-6000. I like running av gas. Super consistent well taken care of fuel that only costs me about a $1 gal more than non eth pump premium.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So when you set it up with the spring and shim is that a guestimate? Then you use a manual boost controller and watch the guage and adjust from there?

A

Aerocharger_Andrew

Dec 1, 2010
Overland Park, KS
www.Aerocharger.com
The springs are a defined boost level and so are the shims. Each shim is roughly .75psi of boost.

The manual boost controller is an option but is not recommended on snowmobiles. The manual boost controllers will often cause inconsistent boost levels and can cause engine problems if you do not pay attention to your boost.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Local guys ran an Aerocharger kit on a 12 ETEC. It never ran right all year. One big problem was reeds and at that time there was no solution from you. What do I need to upgrade that kit to the current spec? Are reeds available now?

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Aerocharger kits from the '12-13 season all shipped with BRP Turbo Reeds, and they will be included in our E-TEC kits again this year. Tell those local guys to give us a call and we'll get them fixed up.

how long before we see your pump gas setup for the doo ? hm turbo has been selling a very reliable pump gas kit with your turbocharger on the polaris for a while . seems to work well . 4.5 - 5.5 lbs. of boost, non adjustable .pull and go, would get some of my cash very quickly

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
We do have some new stuff we'll be trying out this season regarding that. I got nothing for you at the moment, but this is something everyone would like to see happen and we'll keep you posted as we get into it.

how long before we see your pump gas setup for the doo ? hm turbo has been selling a very reliable pump gas kit with your turbocharger on the polaris for a while . seems to work well . 4.5 - 5.5 lbs. of boost, non adjustable .pull and go, would get some of my cash very quickly

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Polaris and Cat are more standard as far as 2-stroke systems go, and a lot more forgiving when it comes to pump gas setups. The Rotax is a completely different animal with stratified charge, direct injection, and very tight engine geometry. That said, we do have some new things we put together over the summer and now we're just waiting for some snow on the ground for lots of testing.

K
Nov 21, 2008
Hooper, Utah
SLC Snow Show

I talked with Brad a few times on the phone about the new changes from the XP kit to the 2013-2014 kits. I was going to order the part, but since you are bring the Race trailer to the SLC Snow Show, I asked if he would bring the parts with him. Would it be possible to stock the trailer with the following and I'll just pay cash at the show? Awsome Turbo Kits. Rediculous power, I was having clutching issues trying to nail it down using Toms Arms. I've disided to use you the R&D from Areocharger this season. Thanks, Blair

Helix
Clutch weights
Spring
Ramps

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
I talked with Brad a few times on the phone about the new changes from the XP kit to the 2013-2014 kits. I was going to order the part, but since you are bring the Race trailer to the SLC Snow Show, I asked if he would bring the parts with him. Would it be possible to stock the trailer with the following and I'll just pay cash at the show? Awsome Turbo Kits. Rediculous power, I was having clutching issues trying to nail it down using Toms Arms. I've disided to use you the R&D from Areocharger this season. Thanks, Blair

Helix
Clutch weights
Spring
Ramps

:face-icon-small-ton One clutch kit for delivery, eh

PM'd!

T
Sep 1, 2009
Can you still use a bleed off switch in the boost reference line to toggle between 2 boost levels like we were able to on the First Choice Aerocharger setups of the 1990's?

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
That's ok to do, bleed off switches or any other boost controllers are compatible. It sounds like you've used them before, just make sure that you are clutched and running the right octane for the highest boost level you might be running.

Can you still use a bleed off switch in the boost reference line to toggle between 2 boost levels like we were able to on the First Choice Aerocharger setups of the 1990's?

Premium Features